New Fatbacks Restaurant in Pleasers b...

New Fatbacks Restaurant in Pleasers building

Posted in the Newton Forum

Since: Dec 13

Candler, NC

#1 Dec 11, 2013
Ate here for the first time and last time today.... For Hickory, NC this is not a BBQ restaurant. Anyone that would think so is not from the south at all. When I or anyone that I know thinks BBQ we think of a large Boston Butt or Pork shoulder slow cooked for 12-15 hours and then shredded and served up with some delicious sauce. That is NOT what you will get here. Me and a group of 4 others came in today for lunch and decided by the time we got our food that we will not be back. There is Much better BBQ in hickory such as Hannahs, Smokehouse, Dickeys, Heck even Windy City Grill has this place beat on BBQ out of a frozen tub. When you walk in you are greeted as you would be at a McDonalds. Counter service... The first surprise was the total dis-organization of the staff and their rolls in the restaurant. The poor girl Dakota I think was trying to take orders for a crowded line of customers waiting when the owner/manager yelled at her to get off the register and start doing something else which was very disrespectful to the employee and made the owner look like a piece of work herself. The second thing was that for a non full service restaurant the credit card slips have a place to leave a tip leading me to believe that the manager is trying to get out cheap paying the 2.13 labor rate for tipped employees vs. min wage since they can get tips. There is even tip jar at the registers for those paying cash that doesn't feel guilt-ed into leaving a tip on a credit card slip as you are signing it in front of them. Third thing is the sauce as someone else has mentioned. They provide one bottle of each sauce and one bottle of ketchup for the entire restaurant to use. There is no napkins/salt/pepper/sauce/ketc hup at the tables and where the sauce is sitting you have a 2" ledge to balance your tray on while trying to remove a cup and pour sauce in the cups, There is no drink station to refill a drink so if they are busy you have to wait in line to get a refill on your drink. If you need a napkin you have to wait for someone to notice you flagging them down to get one. This is another sign of a cheap owner/manager that is trying to start a high budget restaurant on a waitress salary. Once we finally got our food and that was the biggest surprise of all. We are waiting on delicious pulled pork barbeque just to be shocked at the site of gound/chopped pork tenderloin that was so dry it crumbled when trying to pick it up with the fork. The sauces were no help. I tried the "BBQ" sauce and the "Hot Sweet" BBQ sauce and could not tell a difference in taste of either. As I was standing at the counter ordering a customer asked if there was a vinegar based sauce and the owner/manager pulled a small cup of it looked like plain white vinegar out of the micro fridge and handed it to the lady. I had Fries/Mashed potatoes as sides and they was both served hot/fresh. The mashed had little or no flavor too them as there was no seasoning(salt,pepper,butter) and no gravy option as well which is another southern staple! The "Texas Toast" was more like fresh out of a loaf of thick sliced bread. There was no butter, one side of the bread was LIGHTLY browned in about 4 spots and it was barely warm and was as flexible as a tortilla wrap. The hush puppies are also a joke as they are dry and crumbly and were burnt on the outside. The tea was the one thing that did stand out as actually what I expected from a southern restaurant. I do not foresee this restaurant lasting any longer than "The Wagon Wheel" did. I know as for myself and the other four that was with me today we would rather spend double the price and get quality and service than pay her pricing and get food that 3/4 of gets thrown away because of lack of quality.
Clementine J Earle

Wilkesboro, NC

#2 Dec 16, 2013
I live in the area, did wagon wheel ever open? I just thought they ran out of money or something and couldn't open doors. They couldn't have made it a month if they did open.
John B

Charlotte, NC

#3 Jan 10, 2014
I just tried this place today. I was hoping for a good barbecue sandwich since their sign says "Southern Food and Que". Boy, was I disappointed. I ordered the pulled pork sandwich and the girl at the cash register talked me into a combo since I wanted a drink and this would give me one side order for about the same price. I got baked beans as a side order.
The order came in about 5 minutes. It consisted of a very nice seeded bun covered with some very cool, very dry, very tasteless pork covered with some very cold coleslaw. The baked beans were slightly warmer and contained large chunks of some kind of meat. I really could not tell you what the meat was.
They do have a broader menu than barbecue. I overheard the large lady who I think owns the place telling someone how proud she was of her homemade soups. So, if you do visit you may want to order the soup. It might ever be hot. Just stay away from the barbecue. Take that from someone who has enjoyed NC barbecue for 40 years. This is not a place for "que" in spite of what the sign says. I suggest you call before you visit to make sure they are open. They won't be around long.
ToddS

Hickory, NC

#4 Jan 15, 2014
Four of us had lunch today (Wed. 1/15/14). We ordered a Fish sandwich with homemade chips, a hot dog loaded with slaw, onions, cheese and mustard with french fries. Two of us ordered the brisket sandwich. One with homemade chips. I had mashed potatoes. The orders were placed with an employee at a counter much like a fast food, chain restaurant. You then sat where you want and the food was brought to you. Short wait time. Drinks were given to you at the counter when the order was placed. The fish sandwich, homemade chips and french fries were excellent. The mashed potatoes were OK. (Not like mine). The hot dog was good but the bun was like a stale roll put in a microwave oven to soften. It looked terrible and was very sloppy. Now to the brisket. A lesson needs to be learned on how to cook and serve brisket. It was tough, dry and cold. The bun was like a small burger bun not the traditional kaiser roll I am used to seeing with this sandwich. ( All four of us lived in TX, the brisket capital of the world for over 15 years). The brisket was little pieces of meat 1/2 to 3/4 inch squares about an eighth inch thick. Probably about a half cup. Nothing else on the sandwich. If I were to serve a brisket sandwich I would serve slices on a kaiser roll with an appropriate sauce. There are no condiments on the table. So you had to ask for sauces which were located at the front counter. The drink refills were handled by an employee. The tables and benches are fixed and very small. Reminded me of something you would see in a grade school cafeteria. Very uncomfortable. Especially for the average adult (not over weight). Service was good and the attendants were very friendly and courteous. The price was not out of range. You can get a sandwich for $1.99 to $5.99 and for a $1.49 additional (combo) get one side and a drink. The restaurant is very clean. I will give it a second try, but not the brisket. The brisket I used to get at Bennett's was the best. Almost as good as mine and I cook a mean brisket.
Britany7732

United States

#5 Feb 6, 2014
The way the owner/manager screams at the employees is really disrespectful to the customers an to the employees. Will not be returning, I'm spending my money somewhere more tasteful.
LanceN

United States

#6 Feb 6, 2014
Poor service, food and manger/owners. The way the manger/owner treated the employees is not tasteful. Food is dry, no flavor and cold when it gets to the table. This restaurant needs better mangers, who know how to run the place. Also needs employees that have some customer service skills. Very rude an ready to rush you into ordering as quickly as possible so they can get back on their cell phones. Will not be returning, not worth another visit.
mcard

Hickory, NC

#7 Mar 7, 2014
don't know where i read it, but someone said they closed because the rent was too high. that being the case, don't people start a business with some kind of plan? don't you figure out what your expenses are before you open a business? if you all this beforehand, isn't that part of your plan as to what your income needs to be? if you don't think you can make the rent, don't go into business! just because muffy and skip say you make good food for the superbowl party, or you have a good eye for fashion doesn't always mean you should open up a restaurant or a boutique. i don't get it.
Sausage McFly

Wilkesboro, NC

#8 Mar 7, 2014
mcard wrote:
don't know where i read it, but someone said they closed because the rent was too high. that being the case, don't people start a business with some kind of plan? don't you figure out what your expenses are before you open a business? if you all this beforehand, isn't that part of your plan as to what your income needs to be? if you don't think you can make the rent, don't go into business! just because muffy and skip say you make good food for the superbowl party, or you have a good eye for fashion doesn't always mean you should open up a restaurant or a boutique. i don't get it.
Even if your are generous and want to blame "the economy," the cash you put behind the business whether it be from a loan or your own pocket should sustain your costs of operation longer than a month. rent is one of the easy fixed costs. there is no surprise, you know exactly what you owe each month. market research can go a long way and prevent this from happening so often. it might require some effort, outside help or more cash, but if you research the market beforehand you may find that you shouldn't start the business to begin with. you might see that it will only lose money and eventually fold before you go any further in the planning process. it cost more to open and fail than it does to research and stop the business before it even starts. so if you want to blame the economy, you might as well blame the owners for not doing their due diligence on the local economy beforehand. this must have been been an out of pocket startup. banks expect to see a business plan and you can't expect to get a loan if your exit strategy is close up shop after a month if we aren't where we need to be. you have to at least have the money to stay open for a year, optimally 3-5 years. it usually takes that long for a business to become profitable.
mcard

Hickory, NC

#9 Mar 10, 2014
Sausage McFly wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if your are generous and want to blame "the economy," the cash you put behind the business whether it be from a loan or your own pocket should sustain your costs of operation longer than a month. rent is one of the easy fixed costs. there is no surprise, you know exactly what you owe each month. market research can go a long way and prevent this from happening so often. it might require some effort, outside help or more cash, but if you research the market beforehand you may find that you shouldn't start the business to begin with. you might see that it will only lose money and eventually fold before you go any further in the planning process. it cost more to open and fail than it does to research and stop the business before it even starts. so if you want to blame the economy, you might as well blame the owners for not doing their due diligence on the local economy beforehand. this must have been been an out of pocket startup. banks expect to see a business plan and you can't expect to get a loan if your exit strategy is close up shop after a month if we aren't where we need to be. you have to at least have the money to stay open for a year, optimally 3-5 years. it usually takes that long for a business to become profitable.
it sure happens a lot around here. lots of buildings/restaurants on hwy 70, countless others. it's almost like when you see a restaurant open, you think to yourself,'well, they'll be gone soon', even before you get a chance to go there.
FOODIE

Hickory, NC

#10 Mar 19, 2014
Fatbacks closed weeks ago.
Aren't restaurants supposed to be the biggest
gamble when opening a business.
Too many don't realize what it takes.
Look at Josh's near the lake.
My family and I were going to eat there about a month
or so before it closed.
I checked the reviews and they were awful.
We decided not to go.
I wonder how many didn't try it because of the terrible reviews
people posted.
When I read the wait staff is standing around talking or
texting, when they
need to be helping the customers, that's a sure sign we
won't be eating there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kristen Jenkins Sprinkle 21 hr I care 2
Kelby Costner sings on Morning Break Sep 18 Go Kelby 1
News Bruno Sep 17 poster 1
You are weighed Sep 17 Joshua 1
News Lincolnton 38 mins ago 8:33 p.m.Lincoln County ... Sep 17 TipMyHat2U 1
Lincoln Co., NC- 6 arrested Sep 16 Colby 5
Michelle Poynter Sep 16 DEMON666 6

Newton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance