Hickory teen dies in crash after chase

Dec 7, 2007 Full story: Charlotte.com 36

A Hickory teenager died Thursday night after leading a trooper on a chase through Catawba County and crashing his car into a tree.

Roey Chance Parsons, 18, was flung from the 1999 BMW he was driving when it slammed into a tree off N.C. 10 in Hickory and split in two, said Trooper R.G. Griffin of the Highway Patrol.

Shortly after 8 p.m. Thursday, Trooper Brian Perkins noticed the BMW speeding on U.S. 321, about seven miles west of Newton, said Lt. Everett Clendenin.

When Perkins turned on his blue lights and tried pulling the BMW over, the driver increased his speed, taking Perkins on an eight-minute chase through Catawba County and into Hickory, Clendenin said. Read more

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dang

Hickory, NC

#31 Jun 20, 2008
TitoFTW wrote:
<quoted text>
I've lost plenty of friends close to me, but none doing something this stupid. Some I lost with me in Iraq.
I had a couple friends that comitted suicide when I was younger, but I didn't go to their funerals. I won't attend a ceremony for someone who took the coward's way out. Just as I wouldn't celebrate the life of someone that died running from the cops.
Insensitive,(to this)yes. A lout, no.
If you're offended by what I have to say, then (A) Grow thicker skin,(B) don't read it, or (C) Argue pointlessly about it. Either way I don't care, so tough shit.
'Scuse me for calling you a lout. You're a turd!
Kelsey

Lenoir, NC

#33 Jul 4, 2008
You know, Im not going to be like some and say you're heartless or anything like that, its Gods place to judge you, not mine. But I know for a fact that he wasnt hiding anything in his car. And I know for a fact that he wasnt high when he ran, because he was coming home from work, and he worked for his uncle who goes to my church.

If you dont care, why are you replying to everyone elses posts? You are the one arguing pointlessly. We have a point - Chance was a good guy. Speeding was his problem, whats yours? Everyone makes bad decisions, some just have greater consequences than others.
Justin

Asheville, NC

#34 Jul 4, 2008
You know i had no idea of this page and believe me if i did i would have commented before this. Chance was a good friend of mine and for yall to judge him is absured. Yea Chance had problems in the past, but you know what he moved down to Hickory and made a change in his life and life for God. You know every one has there problems, and Chance was speed. So i ask you whats your problem and how would you like it for people to comment you on it. Now dont get confuzed and think im supporting what he did that night, because im not. What Chance did was a bad decision, and this one cost him his life. What bad decsions have you made in YOUR life. My point is this dont be so quick to point out someone elses faults when you have some of your own. Chance was a good person that was saved by God's grace. He was a brother to all and including me, he was the type if guy to drop what he was doing to come help you out with a situation. So for the people who are so hard hearted to say well thats what he gets, to you i say i will pray for you.
God Bless
max

Asheville, NC

#35 Jul 4, 2008
I will pray for u tito! For god so loved the world that he grave his only begotten son, that who so ever bliveth in him shall no perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16
max

Asheville, NC

#36 Jul 4, 2008
by the way is that all u do is trash peoples comments...! GROW UP!

“webstreetnet.com”

Since: Aug 08

Newton

#38 Aug 8, 2008
The Police should have a way built into cars to disable it. Nobody should go out over fear of a ticket. This just sucks all around.
cody parsons

Granite City, IL

#39 Sep 6, 2011
Jack Schitt wrote:
This young man dictated his own fate. Let us all be lucky he didn't kill anybody else. "Parent of 4" - that would include harm to my own child. He had a choice, and from the atricle in the Hickory Record, has made mistakes in his life before. Wake up people and see this for what it is! He died breaking the law evading police. That is how I will remember him!
. He was my brother and I miss him every day he made mistakes but it shouldn't of cost him his life and your an ass hole and I hope one of your children meets a similar fate so you can know what my mom endured and I hope some one like you posts something like this and your dead childs siblings have to read it so maybe they can explain my hate for a holes like you
grouchoparx

Huntersville, NC

#40 Sep 7, 2011
I just hope that all of you young people who are grieving here will learn a lesson from this tragic event that took this young man's life. A vehicle is a deadly weapon that can take your life in a moment's notice. Maybe in his memory, you can honor his life by taking a vow and promise yourself not to drive wrecklessly, and for God's sake, if a law enforcement officer blue lights you, take the consequence of whatever you deserve and pull over immediately. In your life, you grow in wisdom. Please live long enough to reach this stage. To the family and friends, I give you my condolences, and hope that peace and comfort will soon come. Don't allow another tragedy like this to happen. You can prevent it with your good decisions in life from this point on. God bless all of you in this time of sorrow.
Yankee Clipper

Lincolnton, NC

#41 Sep 8, 2011
Lesson Learned Don't F...With The Police!
Storme G

Greenville, SC

#42 Dec 17, 2011
I knew Chance parson he was a great guy went to church had job, graduate 2 years before lived with his grandparents, He was the type guy that always make you smile, He wreck in my stepfather parent's yard it was sad time For all the Youth at Winkler Grove Baptist Church but what gave me peace is that HE was saved and one day i will meet him in glory
WellDuhh

Louisburg, NC

#43 Dec 20, 2011
Why would anyone put an 18 year old in the seat of a BMW ? do they not remember when they were 18?
thats like giving a 2 year old a loaded gun and telling him to be careful with it. My lord people stop spoiling your kids with expensive gifts.
it wont make up for the bad parenting nor does going to church make it ok.
With that said Im am sorry for the familys loss, I can't imagine how hard it must be for the family but you must move foreward and learn from the past.
God Bless
Dave

Newton, NC

#44 Dec 20, 2011
WellDuhh wrote:
Why would anyone put an 18 year old in the seat of a BMW ? do they not remember when they were 18?
thats like giving a 2 year old a loaded gun and telling him to be careful with it. My lord people stop spoiling your kids with expensive gifts.
it wont make up for the bad parenting nor does going to church make it ok.
With that said Im am sorry for the familys loss, I can't imagine how hard it must be for the family but you must move foreward and learn from the past.
God Bless
Or... You could explore the option that he may have purchased this car on his own, just a thought...
Cole Parsons

Pasadena, MD

#45 Saturday Nov 29
this is Samuel Cole Parsons chance's brother I can't believe thisis here. you people who judge and make accusations of nothing you know about make me sick this man was the best man I have and will ever have the honor to call my brother and friend chance had a love a passion for alot of things one of them just happened to be the thrill off a chase and going fast I have been in the many many a time with him going all out and he was one of the best drivers I ever knew the man had nothing to hide. Running and going fast is in our blood it just happens to be a mistake that took his life and left a hole in our hearts. And for the man that said "grow some skin" you just admitted that you don't have the "skin" to even pay your last respects to the ones you love. Do not try to tear down my brothers name because you haven't made one for yourself he didn't take the cowards way out he died doing something he loved this site needs to be removed.
Cole Parsons

Pasadena, MD

#46 Saturday Nov 29
Dave wrote:
<quoted text>
Or... You could explore the option that he may have purchased this car on his own, just a thought...
thank you Dave this is his brother Cole Parsons and chance worked his butt off to have that car and he loved it. It was his baby and I own a bmw128I myself even after what has happened it is not the machinery that makes the mistakes.
Cole Parsons

Pasadena, MD

#47 Saturday Nov 29
Jack Schitt wrote:
This young man dictated his own fate. Let us all be lucky he didn't kill anybody else. "Parent of 4" - that would include harm to my own child. He had a choice, and from the atricle in the Hickory Record, has made mistakes in his life before. Wake up people and see this for what it is! He died breaking the law evading police. That is how I will remember him!
but if only you knew how much more he was thank God he didn't harm anyone else but everyone in this world makes mistakes some you can't come back from. this is his brother

“Free to be me and you!”

Since: Aug 14

Tampa, FL

#48 Sunday Nov 30
I worry about my grandson who is starting to drive in KY. You never get over the death of a child. Show some respect for the family. It is easy to sit back and judge others mistakes. Karma will take care of you eventually.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PLEASE control your Children!!!!!! 10 hr Bob the alky 6
walmart Neighborhood market Fri hopper235 1
TV show to film some scenes in Lincoln County (Apr '12) Thu because 5
Complete Laser Clinic Reviews? (Sep '12) Dec 24 mooksmom 102
hobby lobby building Dec 23 Dixie 2
Canceled North Carolina High School Production ... Dec 23 yuntt 1
New Stores Coming to Hickory (Apr '07) Dec 23 goldengirl 237
Newton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web