Hickory teen dies in crash after chase

Dec 7, 2007 | Posted by: Charlotte.com | Full story: Charlotte.com

A Hickory teenager died Thursday night after leading a trooper on a chase through Catawba County and crashing his car into a tree.

Roey Chance Parsons, 18, was flung from the 1999 BMW he was driving when it slammed into a tree off N.C. 10 in Hickory and split in two, said Trooper R.G. Griffin of the Highway Patrol.

Shortly after 8 p.m. Thursday, Trooper Brian Perkins noticed the BMW speeding on U.S. 321, about seven miles west of Newton, said Lt. Everett Clendenin.

When Perkins turned on his blue lights and tried pulling the BMW over, the driver increased his speed, taking Perkins on an eight-minute chase through Catawba County and into Hickory, Clendenin said. Read more

Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Dec 20, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
parent of 4

Hickory, NC

#2 Dec 7, 2007
how would you feel if this was your child? it is easy to ack like that from behind a keyboard, but in real life this was someones child. as i always say common sence is not that common anymore..
TitoFTW wrote:
Oh well. That's what you get when you act like an idiot...dead. dum, dum, dum...another one bites the dust...
Jack Schitt

Greenville, NC

#3 Dec 8, 2007
This young man dictated his own fate. Let us all be lucky he didn't kill anybody else. "Parent of 4" - that would include harm to my own child. He had a choice, and from the atricle in the Hickory Record, has made mistakes in his life before. Wake up people and see this for what it is! He died breaking the law evading police. That is how I will remember him!
Nancy

United States

#5 Dec 10, 2007
Chance was our friend, our family. We love him and miss him regardless of what the circumstances of his death were. He was a great kid with a warm heart and we miss him very much.

Please respect the sorrow and loss we all feel.
John

United States

#6 Dec 10, 2007
O.K. TitoPBR.

Perhaps you never did anything illegal or made a mistake, no matter how slight, and you can make your broad judgements. But he was a kid and made a mistake he couldn't get away with.

He didn't sit in front of his t.v. drinking his Pabst on the weekends (He had a social life). He worked very hard to buy his OWN car (He had a job). He had moved to Hickory to clean up his act, quite a mature move for a kid, and got a job, graduated high school, and became a very popular person in his church.

I can see you laying a beer soaked "foot to your kids ass" if he/she did something you didn't like (Brat knocked over my beer). It isn't abuse if you don't get caught.

You may be on to something. It's fun to make broad statements about people you don't know anything about except for what you read online.

We are lucky no one else died from his actions, and, hopefully, it'll be a lesson to all the people who love him.
Trish

Temple, TX

#8 Dec 12, 2007
This is really sad. A few years ago I had a friend in this same town do the same stupid thing. They were both so young. Just like my friend I'm betting this boy thought he could out run the cops in a fast car and just wanted to get away. My friend was a good kid, just made a bad mistake. My thoughts are with this childs family because he won't be here for christmas or any other holiday. I just wish this tragedy would prevent someone else from doing the same thing.

Since: Dec 07

Denver, NC

#9 Dec 13, 2007
It is sad that he died...but he did make that decision on his own. I honestly do not feel sympathy for him, but for his family. A selfish, reckless choice, that his family must live with the rest of their lives.

It is fortunate that he did not kill anyone with his decision to try to run from the police.

“Keeping up w/ Hickory”

Since: Nov 07

Hickory, NC

#10 Dec 14, 2007
It's sad all around. We all make dumb choices. I wonder about the number of automobile deaths in this country. I know automobiles kill a lot of people every year, but teenagers are especially susceptible to this threat just because it does take so much clear thinking, sound judgment, and self-control, all of which require patience and training to develop, though some of us take longer than others.

I'm not trying to excuse the young man. It just seems like automobile's in general are very dangerous things that we treat too lightly. A dumb choice normally has limited, minor penalties, but in a car, it costs a lot more whether it's your life, another's life, or the ability to walk.
Michele Leonhardt

AOL

#11 Dec 14, 2007
I personally know this young man and he was a very good kid. He was a good friend to my daughter and he often drove her home from many church activities and took her out to eat. He always drove safely with her and took great caution to be sure he got her home safe and sound. I agree he made a poor choice and it did cost him his life and it has been a huge loss to my daughter, his friends and family. If you knew him and the life he had you would have been proud of the changes he made even after living in situations that were not easy to go thru. We all have made bad decisions and stupid mistakes even in our cars. I'm sure most of you have had an accident and I'm sure you didn't go out looking to have one. But life is full of choices and he made his and it cost us all. But we can learn from this and move on and hopefully this will change the decisions that others will make and help them to think before they act. If you have children you should know that things happen beyond what we can ever control all we can do is raise them to know the Lord and to be the best they can be to those around them. None of really know how we will leave this earth. But we all need to know where we will be spending eternity! I hope you all know where you will be when it is your time to leave this world. I know Chance is in heaven!
mis t

Hickory, NC

#12 Dec 18, 2007
this situation is so sad, especially since it is at the holidays.
i know for one, i have a teenage (14 year old) son. who is disrespectful at times, but has a huge heart. he has made lots of mistakes in school, but says he can not control himself, and does not think before speaking. YES, I DISCIPLINE HIM! Discipline, whether grounding, corporal, or extra chores, DOES NOT WORK FOR ALL CHILDREN!
i am thankful that my car was not in the way of this person who started the chase.
I am sure he was immature, and made a dumb decision. He probably did not realize where it would end up.None of really know how we will leave this earth. But we all need to know where we will be spending eternity! I hope you all know where you will be when it is your time to leave this world. could not have said it better michelle
emmy

AOL

#13 Jan 2, 2008
ukno what thnx u to those who are nice but u assholes who are rude can literally go to hell u deserve it. chance was so warm hearted and very kind. like a teddy bear friend but better. he was like the funniest person ever and u guys can criticize him but thats jst rude and i hope u kno the hurt u make me feel when i read this. u ddnt even kno him!. God bless. RIP chance i miss u so much
Tabitha

United States

#15 Jan 3, 2008
I knew chance he was a sweet boy!!! i never knew of him to do anything lke this but i guess we all think of stupid things in the spur of the moment and you sudden make the wrong decision you know so you guys have ur opinions and i have mine RIP Chance we love you
John

United States

#17 Jan 8, 2008
TitoPBR,

Wow. Way to rail on some kid. You didn't like the "snide comments/attacks" from me, someone your own age(?), but it's okay for you to rip into a young girl?

Now, I thought your reply to me earlier showed a little restraint and was somewhat mature, so I let it go. But seeing this just proves how simple minded you are. I know you think the world revolves around you and it should heed your every word, but the way I see it is that that would probably just lead to a rise in liver disease and drunk driving.

I dare say most people can concentrate on how unfortunate this event was, forewarn others AND take pity. Not use it as a singular opportunity to rant like a republican radio show host.
why

Hickory, NC

#18 Jan 8, 2008
From what I have heard this kid came a long way from what he was raised in and was living with his grandparents.I did not know him but many people that did had nothing but nice things to say about him. To get on here and judge him and put him down is just wrong. Sure he made a bad choice,and paid for it in a big way. I'm sure if he could go back he would make another wiser choice, but he can't.My heart goes out to his family. My son made a stupid choice also.One that we have to live with. He was a great kid too,very much loved and would give a stranger his last cent.We are left with the results he would not want us to have to face if he had made a better choice. Few of us are perfect. Are you?
Someone who cares

Chevy Chase, MD

#20 Mar 2, 2008
TitoFTW wrote:
<quoted text>
YAWN....Did you say something? All I heard was whaa-whaaa-whaaaaa.
Hey, Jackass, this is a forum for free expression, so if you're too sensitive to be able to read this stuff without getting upset over it, I suggest you spare yourself the grief and stay off topix.
It's amazing, i have to ask, do you have a heart?! Go ahead say what you want, but their are people who love him. And you obviously can't accept what he really was. A great person, a son, a brother, a cousin, a grand son! So you and your little comments AAAAAA.
Someone who cares

Chevy Chase, MD

#21 Mar 2, 2008
Sorry, i don't wanna be mean, but what we as his family went through, just seeing what you had to say. Almost brought me to tears, t hat you could judje someone you heard about in the news that way. Then insult the person who knew him and tried to stick up for him. Because Chance was, a wonderful person. I wish everyone could of met him so they could understand that.
Someone who cares

Chevy Chase, MD

#22 Mar 2, 2008
why wrote:
From what I have heard this kid came a long way from what he was raised in and was living with his grandparents.I did not know him but many people that did had nothing but nice things to say about him. To get on here and judge him and put him down is just wrong. Sure he made a bad choice,and paid for it in a big way. I'm sure if he could go back he would make another wiser choice, but he can't.My heart goes out to his family. My son made a stupid choice also.One that we have to live with. He was a great kid too,very much loved and would give a stranger his last cent.We are left with the results he would not want us to have to face if he had made a better choice. Few of us are perfect. Are you?
Thank you, you really care. Unlike other people who just ... type how stupid he was to do something like that. So thank you.
why

Asheville, NC

#23 Mar 2, 2008
Someone who cares wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, you really care. Unlike other people who just ... type how stupid he was to do something like that. So thank you.
Sorry for your loss. He will always be in your heart. Keep that and ignore the ignorant posters on here.
cristina lail

Taylors, SC

#25 Mar 12, 2008
Thats a tragic thing that happen to him. Noone should be mean about the situation my prays go out to the family. I have 2 kids and it would be tragic to loose one of them. I lost my dad on Dec 2 2007 and I miss him so much and I wish I could told him goodbye and I loved him theres a sadness that wont go away and never will so I could imagine what that could feel like my dad was only 55. So what I'm saying always tell your kids and your parents you love them you never know when goodbye is going to come.
Kelsey

Lenoir, NC

#26 Jun 18, 2008
Chance was an amazing guy. And how dare you judge him. He wasnt just some idiot who ran from a cop. And if you knew his background, you wouldnt call him some trouble making teen. Chance came from a hard background. He actually moved to hickory to escape the life he was living in another state. He wanted to change his life around - for the better. I saw Chance change from a guy who did get into trouble who I didnt think I could get along with to one of the most amazing, most caring guys Ive ever met. He made a life for himself that was greater than most. He worked hard for everything he got. He ran because he didnt want to lose everything hes worked for. He thought if he got his license taken away he would lose his job, his car, and everything else he tried to hard to get.

Chance was an amazing guy. And he is missed more than he could ever imagine.
dang

Hickory, NC

#29 Jun 20, 2008
TitoFTW wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, and yes, obviously he WAS some idiot who ran from a cop. That's how he died, dumbass.
How fortunate for you that you've lived past your mistakes.(Or maybe you've never made any!) I didn't know this boy, but obviously he had friends, and was loved. Ever lose anyone close to you, dumbass? You don't just forget your love for someone just because they made a poor choice! Insensitive lout!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 5 min State of Florida 58,886
New stores and restaurants coming to Hickory (Sep '08) 12 hr jkline 132
gold diggers,home wreakers (Oct '12) 15 hr Just saying 18
Casey Jenkins is ugly on the outside 21 hr The Ranger 10
McDonald's coming to Springs Rd. (Jan '14) Wed Lavinia 7
rail trail (voices) motz ave side lincolnton, nc Aug 27 mikemike 1
Casey Jenkins has lost her mind! Hears voices ! Aug 26 The Ranger 2
•••
•••
•••

Newton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000