Iowa baby died after being placed on ...

Iowa baby died after being placed on stove-top

There are 95 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 2, 2010, titled Iowa baby died after being placed on stove-top. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Authorities say a 5-month-old Newton boy burned to death in his car seat when the seat was placed on a glass stove top that was accidentally turned on.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Clueless inNewton

Minneapolis, MN

#87 Apr 2, 2010
The parents or person(s) who put the child on an oven top should be shot.
Nurse269

Big Lake, MN

#88 Apr 2, 2010
One word - neglect....if you can be far enough away from your child to not hear the crying while burning ....your neglecting your child. Who in their right mind would put a child on top of a stove anyway. Unbelievable - parent/parents should be charged. Who is standing up for the child?
speedy

Kansas City, MO

#89 Apr 2, 2010
Error America wrote:
I just can't seem to get over any of these stories on children that are killed by their incredibly naive or just plain stupid parents. In Milwaukee, 8 children have died by parents who suffocated the child by sleeping with/on them. In one family they managed to kill two children, the same way. Then you have the parents who run over their children. And of course the parents that leave their kids in the car all day on 80+ degree days. How and why these things happen will always amaze me. But to be sure, when you have kids having kids and single parents raising kids, something usually is missing. Sad stories that should never have happened. Pray for the children.
I agree. This trend has been gaining speed over the last 2 decades. The trend is negligent parents killing thier kids. If nature has a way of weeding out the stupid, frankly it isn't happening fast enough, or is the sheer quantity of dangerous morons more than any force could keep up with?
In our home, we are the overly watchful types. I go nuts if I don't know exactly where our 3 are at any given time. Life is dangerous, and it is our role to see our young ones through the dangers until they reach adulthood and can fend for themselves.
Breeders like this couple who set the stage for thier child frying to death make me want to puke. My level of contempt cannot even be described for these mentally challenged individuals.
Nobody expects parents to go through child rearing without making mistakes, but it should be expected you grow a dam brain and don't do things that kill your kids.
Unbelievable

Minneapolis, MN

#90 Apr 2, 2010
Stupidity does not negate responsibility for ones actions. Sad to say but maybe the baby is in a better place now. May God bless this child.
SeaShark

Eden Prairie, MN

#91 Apr 2, 2010
Sound's like Newton's population is the product of inbreeding.
Somebodys Nana

United States

#92 Apr 3, 2010
picklesnorkie wrote:
Sad....they did pay the ultimate price for their stupidity though.
No, the baby paid the ultimate price, not the parents. They will be able to have another child - and god help that one.
Tina

Chariton, IA

#93 Apr 5, 2010
I definitely feel the parents should be brought up on charges. Would child endangerment or neglect work here? At a minimum the parents should have heard the screams of the baby as the temperature rose, and if they were anywhere close to the kitchen, smelled the melting plastic as the stove began to heat up. To me it seems that the parents were not close by and that a period of time passed before their return. How long should parents be allowed to leave the room with their baby on a high surface, not to mention a very hot one?
speedy

Kansas City, MO

#94 Apr 5, 2010
Tina wrote:
I definitely feel the parents should be brought up on charges. Would child endangerment or neglect work here? At a minimum the parents should have heard the screams of the baby as the temperature rose, and if they were anywhere close to the kitchen, smelled the melting plastic as the stove began to heat up. To me it seems that the parents were not close by and that a period of time passed before their return. How long should parents be allowed to leave the room with their baby on a high surface, not to mention a very hot one?
Your dang right there should be charges. Simple neglect or endangerment simply won't do. Reserve those for the lazy parents who feed thier kids cereal every meal, or let them run around naked because they are to lazy to feed or properly clothe thier little ones. I am no attorney, but I see them on TV ;-) unintentional homicide, negligent homicide,,,? Are there laws left that have some teeth to them anymore?
As for how long should a child be left on a high surface, or "potentially" hot surface or both? The correct answer is 0 minutes and 0 seconds unless you are there with your arm on them the whole time. Playground jungle gyms excluded, they appear to be safer than most people and thier homes and habits.
Joe loose

Priest River, ID

#95 Apr 5, 2010
You asked for it wrote:
<quoted text>
My assumptions:
They might of been getting in on somewhere in the bedroom away from the crying and helpless baby while the dog was watching them.
I think they were humping your mother!!
Sarah D

Saint Paul, MN

#96 Apr 6, 2010
What idiot would put a baby on top of a stove? Shouldn't these people be charged with manslaughter because there would be a reasonable expectation that putting a baby on top of a stove could potentially be dangerous?
Tommy

Vale, NC

#97 Apr 30, 2010
Put the parents on the stove top, now!!!!
ohenry

Ames, IA

#98 May 3, 2010
The uproar over this is even worse from the Netwon locals on HeyIowa.com
jigger

Chehalis, WA

#99 May 4, 2010
Somebodys Nana wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the baby paid the ultimate price, not the parents. They will be able to have another child - and god help that one.
GOD could have helped the baby before it burned, but I guess he was busy!
pauli kronopolis

Owasso, OK

#101 Aug 27, 2010
white sox rule
Bennie

Minneapolis, MN

#102 Aug 27, 2010
Thank God the dog is okay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Alleged sexual assault victim describers her ni... Mar '17 Dirty2 1
Baby momma drama Feb '17 Confused on every... 1
News 2017 Hot Rod Power Tour Dates and Locations a "... Feb '17 Quad cities crusers 1
News The Latest: Pence says Clinton should not compa... (Oct '16) Oct '16 YouDidntBuildThat 1
Maytag Corporation Sucks (Mar '07) Sep '16 Zenmaster 79
Some people have the nerve (May '16) Aug '16 Old man 2
newton Iowa (May '16) May '16 blueeyestud 1

Newton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newton Mortgages