JOB CUTS: More Than 200 Lay-offs at Newton Plant

Full story: WHOtv

It's a serious blow to a town that has seen more than it's fair share of economic woes.
Comments
21 - 29 of 29 Comments Last updated May 26, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kayhryn maness

Manchester, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

looks like we are heading to that third world sooner than later
angry laid off employee

Albion, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

Wow wrote:
TPI is running a scam. They make promises they cant keep and then ask for even more money to build another plant in the same state. Wow these guys are outof control. Shut down the Newton plant first before asking for more money from Iowas tax payers atleast TPI.Newton workers are pretty lazy.
you might want to retract the "lazy employees" statement...if you only knew the whole story you would know it was lousy engimeering this time... and the numerouse times since the plant has opened!!!!!!
angry laid off employee

Albion, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

Judged:

Wow wrote:
TPI Sold wind blades to Iowa and the city of Newton like snake oil sales men. They come here to take from us dumb hill billies cuz they can.Everyone has jumped on board. Our light bills get rised 20% to pay for these sub standard blades and turbines. Cant wait to see how we here in ceneral Iowa get robbed next. And yes workers in Newton are lazy and way over paid building these junk blades.
as an ex employee... i find your comments hurtfull and un needed... if you worked at tpi you would know most of 600 people worked 6 sometimes 7 days a week. is that lazy?? you must be super worker. i think you should be ashamed of yourself.. you probably have a job work 40 hrs a week and no family... in otherwords you my friend are pathetic and need to take out your frustration on others which just isnt right.... we who worked at tpi gave alot of our free time... got what i consider low pay and nothing in return..... please find your facts before you put things on the internet cause its not just you who can see it, im sure theres alot of other former tpi employees who wish they had you're address!!
ex employee

Albion, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2010

Judged:

look..mr. wow, from marshalltown. everybody i worked with in newton at tpi was hard working.... very far from lazy.... we worked 6 most times 7 days a week to meet a demand... it is not our fault that the work instructions were drawn up by inapt engineers who apperently got thier degree from a cereal box... its not even thier fault... tpi agreed to hire under qualified engineeres to try to piece together a blade by g.e. from specs that dont work and it failed...not once...but twice....it is apparent why this new plant is going to build blades for somebody other than g.e. my wife and i were in the first group to be laid off.we are very dissapointed because our lay off was to only be 2 to 8 weeks.... i think it is extremely irresposible of the state of iowa,and i am ashamed to be an iowan who pays tax dollars to fund a company that produces... well crap.... to give another 2 million in forgivable loans to a company that can not build a quality product and who can not tell the truth to its employees....shame on you tpi...
Wow

State Center, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2010

Judged:

TPI is costing us all here in this area "Jasper Co" alot of money. First by all the tax money used to bring them here. Then the cost of the big increase in our light bills to pay for these blades and the power plants will have ownership afterwards not us and now to have us tax payers put out more money to help pay for all the laid off workers jobless benefits to have a summer long vacation.Whens it going to stop??
dave

Clinton, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2010

Wow wrote:
TPI is costing us all here in this area "Jasper Co" alot of money. First by all the tax money used to bring them here. Then the cost of the big increase in our light bills to pay for these blades and the power plants will have ownership afterwards not us and now to have us tax payers put out more money to help pay for all the laid off workers jobless benefits to have a summer long vacation.Whens it going to stop??
WOW you finally made some sense, but I agree with some of the other bloggers get your fact straight before posting. Also it would benefit you to think before crossing the street.
Leo

Berlin, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2010

Judged:

It is obvious Newton does not have quality workers. Those days have passed and we need to stop putting money into a dying hole like Newton.
Maytag realized this years ago and got out while they could.
angery person

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

To all the people out there that think it is the employees fault its not all of the people here work really hard its still an indutry that needs alot of work. I think eventually we will get it. It is a very needed company and i think that the governemnts money is well spent.
angry person

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 26, 2010

Newton started to go down the hole because of Maytag going out of business, Yes. Then we got the race track and now TPI. If we give TPI a chance it can bring alot of good things to Newton including jobs anda better energy resource. Most of the wind industry factories take a few years to get up and going and TPI has been running for 2 years now so give it some time and quit being so hateful!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Newton Discussions

Search the Newton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Your 2 Cents' Worth Submit brief anonymous comm... (Jul '09) 2 hr BIG D RETIRED VETERAN 143
IA Iowa House primary ground zero for gay marriage... (Jun '10) Jun '14 slayer rules 411
neighbor video tape guests Apr '14 Penny page 1
IA Who do you support for Treasurer in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Mar '14 daxton 9
klingensmith Mar '14 Penny page 1
IA IA Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Tru... (Oct '10) Mar '14 aez 17
Ray Travis gets 10 years in prison for involvem... (Sep '08) Mar '14 Nugget 43
•••
•••
•••
•••

Newton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000