CNN and Cocke County
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Disgusted

Monterey, TN

#1 Mar 3, 2013
I am sickened by the continual efforts of the Cocke County Sheriff to make Cocke County look like the only place in the world with a prescription pill problem. We are not an anomaly we are basically the norm. Look around, every community is suffering at the hand of over medicated pill addicts. Nothing positive can come from allowing CNN to slam Cocke County as Community lost. I am appauled at the narcissistic, self applauding tactics of our Sheriff. He appears in the media habitually and fosters the media's continual assault on the fine people of Cocke County.
short timer

United States

#3 Mar 3, 2013
Have either of you ever lived anywhere else? I don't know anything about how CNN picked up on this story, but I can tell you it is NOT the same everywhere. Because of my work I have lived in 5 states. 3 times in cities twice in small towns like this one. The drug culture here is the worst I have ever seen! Thank goodness both of my kids are already out on their own and will never live here. I'm trying to keep my head down and get out of here as soon as possible. But here's a suggestion: stop whining about your county's reputation and organize an effort to do something about it.
Disgusted

Monterey, TN

#5 Mar 3, 2013
short timer wrote:
Have either of you ever lived anywhere else? I don't know anything about how CNN picked up on this story, but I can tell you it is NOT the same everywhere. Because of my work I have lived in 5 states. 3 times in cities twice in small towns like this one. The drug culture here is the worst I have ever seen! Thank goodness both of my kids are already out on their own and will never live here. I'm trying to keep my head down and get out of here as soon as possible. But here's a suggestion: stop whining about your county's reputation and organize an effort to do something about it.
It is obvious how CNN picked up the story the media monger had to call them. You have apparently never lived anywhere in the Appalachian Mountains.
judge

United States

#6 Mar 4, 2013
Did any of those who have commented disagree with the truthfulness of the story? Why are you mad if it's the truth?

Since: Feb 13

Morristown, TN

#7 Mar 4, 2013
I know more who are on pills here then any were in mass more people are on pot and coke and in con more people are on crack fla more people love coke I mean every place has their official drug of choice within the community .
virgil of cosby

United States

#8 Mar 4, 2013
the media is our problem and all these people who say this is the word town of drugs mind your own business we all have problems to take care of I'm 16 and I know about what kind of drug problems but there are city's out there with way worse drug problems then us sorry but I'm tired of being classified as a pill head mind your own business if u do drugs u need help but there are Platts of us who don't that are sick of being misjudged
flatford

United States

#10 Mar 4, 2013
If you are 16 get off that dang cell phone and try to learn something useful in class. You are supposed to be in school to learn.
liberal sheriff

Jefferson City, TN

#11 Mar 4, 2013
CNN and msnbc are Obama propaganda mouth pieces and is one of the reasons the idiot has a second term. Armondo has the nerve to call in these libtards to cover us after they helped insure the destruction of the US and the constitution? Sure we have a problem here but call the local news WATE WBIR etc.

Screw you mexican you wont get my vote ,ever, go hang out with your illegal alien democrat voting libs friends.
Dave R

Greeneville, TN

#12 Mar 4, 2013
Hasn't he been in office for a while now? If so, why has the problem NOT improved? Maybe we should be asking him why it's getting worse under him watch.
good point

Morristown, TN

#13 Mar 4, 2013
Dave R wrote:
Hasn't he been in office for a while now? If so, why has the problem NOT improved? Maybe we should be asking him why it's getting worse under him watch.
You have a good point there. I thought he promised to take care of the drug problem when he was running in the election. What is going to promise next time. Just read the paper, just look at the true bills.
Wanna NO

Erwin, TN

#14 Mar 4, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
I am sickened by the continual efforts of the Cocke County Sheriff to make Cocke County look like the only place in the world with a prescription pill problem. We are not an anomaly we are basically the norm. Look around, every community is suffering at the hand of over medicated pill addicts. Nothing positive can come from allowing CNN to slam Cocke County as Community lost. I am appauled at the narcissistic, self applauding tactics of our Sheriff. He appears in the media habitually and fosters the media's continual assault on the fine people of Cocke County.
How did CNN end up in Newport anyway? Of all places, who is really interested in that place?
reporting

Morristown, TN

#15 Mar 4, 2013
Wanna NO wrote:
<quoted text>How did CNN end up in Newport anyway? Of all places, who is really interested in that place?
I guess all the drug dealers now.

Since: Jan 13

Tucker, GA

#16 Mar 4, 2013
Concerned Citizen

Asheville, NC

#17 Mar 4, 2013
virgil of cosby wrote:
the media is our problem and all these people who say this is the word town of drugs mind your own business we all have problems to take care of I'm 16 and I know about what kind of drug problems but there are city's out there with way worse drug problems then us sorry but I'm tired of being classified as a pill head mind your own business if u do drugs u need help but there are Platts of us who don't that are sick of being misjudged
The media is not the problem, the media is exposing the problem, which is prescription drug abuse and its heightened occurrence among our young female population. True, every city or town has its problems, but I hardly think that's an argument for ignoring the problems that we have. I understand if people feel like the coverage by CNN was judgmental, but shouldn't it be? Shouldn't we be trying to address this issue, in ways besides just locking these women up again and again? If anything, CNN's report showed that the issues surrounding drug abuse are complex. They weren't equating all Cocke County citizens to worthless "pill poppers". They were shedding light on an issue that all of us are affected by and therefore should be concerned about. If people want to take this report personally, then think of it this way: CNN IS making a personal statement about you as a citizen of Cocke County. HOWEVER, they aren't saying that as a citizen of this county, you are obviously abusing prescription drugs. What they ARE saying though is that as a citizen you should be concerned about those individuals who are abusing prescription drugs and desire to help make a change in your county for the better.
Blahblah

United States

#18 Mar 4, 2013
But HOW do we fix the problem? What are we suposed to do, quarantine the county? It's ALMOST everybody!
Wow

Monterey, TN

#19 Mar 4, 2013
Concerned Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
The media is not the problem, the media is exposing the problem, which is prescription drug abuse and its heightened occurrence among our young female population. True, every city or town has its problems, but I hardly think that's an argument for ignoring the problems that we have. I understand if people feel like the coverage by CNN was judgmental, but shouldn't it be? Shouldn't we be trying to address this issue, in ways besides just locking these women up again and again? If anything, CNN's report showed that the issues surrounding drug abuse are complex. They weren't equating all Cocke County citizens to worthless "pill poppers". They were shedding light on an issue that all of us are affected by and therefore should be concerned about. If people want to take this report personally, then think of it this way: CNN IS making a personal statement about you as a citizen of Cocke County. HOWEVER, they aren't saying that as a citizen of this county, you are obviously abusing prescription drugs. What they ARE saying though is that as a citizen you should be concerned about those individuals who are abusing prescription drugs and desire to help make a change in your county for the better.
Good rebuttal Derrick!
liberal sheriff

Jefferson City, TN

#20 Mar 5, 2013
Wouldnt it be nice if CNN was just as judgmental and vetted Obama like they did Newport...oh wait they are commie bootlickers
croft

Memphis, TN

#21 Mar 5, 2013
liberal sheriff wrote:
Wouldnt it be nice if CNN was just as judgmental and vetted Obama like they did Newport...oh wait they are commie bootlickers
^^^Somebodies golden child didnt win the election huh?
yes

United States

#22 Mar 5, 2013
liberal sheriff wrote:
Wouldnt it be nice if CNN was just as judgmental and vetted Obama like they did Newport...oh wait they are commie bootlickers
the bum the great divider of the country and tries to scare people to get what he wants. 4 more yers of he11 with demonRATS. Vote em out 2014 and 2016, rid os of the liberal rats.
wait

Indian Trail, NC

#23 Mar 5, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
I am sickened by the continual efforts of the Cocke County Sheriff to make Cocke County look like the only place in the world with a prescription pill problem. We are not an anomaly we are basically the norm. Look around, every community is suffering at the hand of over medicated pill addicts. Nothing positive can come from allowing CNN to slam Cocke County as Community lost. I am appauled at the narcissistic, self applauding tactics of our Sheriff. He appears in the media habitually and fosters the media's continual assault on the fine people of Cocke County.
you have be crazy im glad he is brave enough get word out this town needs wake up and work together about this drug problem no wonder us american people in such mess cause cant joined together on nothing i think the people want him shut up is people selling the drugs what wrong you afraid his fix to knock on your door slap handcuffs on you for selling drugs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Name is LoNG_Shot a Navy Seal, Ranger, Sniper, ... 56 min Old vet 7
anyboby know anything about a guy named Russell... (Aug '12) 1 hr Tiffany 30
Taylor Gudger Meth Head 2 hr Long ways away 5
heather stokley 3 hr Hadthat 6
News English Mountain Football (Nov '08) 3 hr STFU 3,980
dr hood 5 hr shutuphomie 3
Sammy Crum (Jul '13) 6 hr lol 38

Newport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newport Mortgages