Cocke County Confidential 1969 to now

Posted in the Newport Forum

News Hound

Knoxville, TN

#1 Apr 7, 2013
Take a look at this:
http://www.knoxnews.com/special/cockecounty/

Here's a little taste>

June 18: Prompted by a series of News Sentinel reports, Tennessee Gov. Buford Ellington orders a "full-scale investigation" into Cocke County, ordering the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation to "let the chips fall where they may regardless of the individuals involved." The probe is focused on allegations of public corruption in the county, where dozens of unregulated beer joints have been illegally selling liquor and serving as houses of prostitution for years. Many of the alleged brothels are strung out along Asheville Highway and have mobile homes installed nearby where prostitutes can take their clients. Many of the businesses are allegedly tied to organized crime groups in Ohio and St. Louis, Mo.

June 22: The News Sentinel reports that many "teen-aged girls, mostly from overcrowded or broken homes, have been taken from Knoxville to Newport for years," mainly for prostitution. Drawing from sources such as Knox County Juvenile Court Judge Richard Douglass and the family of a 15-year-old South Knoxville girl who was allegedly lured to Newport to work at a bar, the story paints a picture of a Knoxville-Newport organized crime connection. Records reveal that many female inmates at Camp Home, a Knoxville women's prison, were "released there after their fines were paid by Newport men and then taken to Cocke County where they could 'keep all they made as prostitutes,' " according to reports. City Council ultimately closed the facility. The 15-year-old girl featured in the story was allegedly lured to Cocke County by two female neighbors to work at a tavern called the Wolfe Creek Restaurant. The bar which is reportedly owned by Lila Mae King and Constable D.C. Ramsey allegedly serves mixed drinks although liquor sales are illegal in the county. The girl, who is pregnant, says she earned only $3.50 over three days "as her share for drinks sold men with whom she sat" and declined to accept "dates" with them. According to the report, Ramsey "left town soon after the News Sentinel expose began. One stop was in Dayton, Ohio, where many Cocke Countians have gone in the past to find employment."

June 29: The family of the 15-year-old girl is allegedly threatened by an unidentified man at their home in South Knoxville. The man allegedly comes to their home and threatens to harm the girl if she doesn't leave with him, tells her he has "a score to settle" and says that he's carrying a pistol. The girl says she didn't recognize the man, who left in a car with Sevier county tags.

July 11: All six Tennessee Highway Patrol troopers stationed in Cocke County are suspended after an internal probe allegedly turns up evidence of misconduct.

July 21: The two women who allegedly lured the 15-year-old Knoxville girl to Newport are indicted by a Knox County grand jury on a charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. The suspects are identified as Belva King and Linda Darnell. Belva King is the daughter of Lila King, who reportedly co-owns the business where the girl was taken to work.

Read the rest here>>> http://www.knoxnews.com/special/cockecounty/
facts

Duluth, GA

#2 Apr 7, 2013
News Hound wrote:
Take a look at this:
http://www.knoxnews.com/special/cockecounty/

Here's a little taste>

June 18: Prompted by a series of News Sentinel reports, Tennessee Gov. Buford Ellington orders a "full-scale investigation" into Cocke County, ordering the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation to "let the chips fall where they may regardless of the individuals involved." The probe is focused on allegations of public corruption in the county, where dozens of unregulated beer joints have been illegally selling liquor and serving as houses of prostitution for years. Many of the alleged brothels are strung out along Asheville Highway and have mobile homes installed nearby where prostitutes can take their clients. Many of the businesses are allegedly tied to organized crime groups in Ohio and St. Louis, Mo.

June 22: The News Sentinel reports that many "teen-aged girls, mostly from overcrowded or broken homes, have been taken from Knoxville to Newport for years," mainly for prostitution. Drawing from sources such as Knox County Juvenile Court Judge Richard Douglass and the family of a 15-year-old South Knoxville girl who was allegedly lured to Newport to work at a bar, the story paints a picture of a Knoxville-Newport organized crime connection. Records reveal that many female inmates at Camp Home, a Knoxville women's prison, were "released there after their fines were paid by Newport men and then taken to Cocke County where they could 'keep all they made as prostitutes,' " according to reports. City Council ultimately closed the facility. The 15-year-old girl featured in the story was allegedly lured to Cocke County by two female neighbors to work at a tavern called the Wolfe Creek Restaurant. The bar — which is reportedly owned by Lila Mae King and Constable D.C. Ramsey — allegedly serves mixed drinks although liquor sales are illegal in the county. The girl, who is pregnant, says she earned only $3.50 over three days "as her share for drinks sold men with whom she sat" and declined to accept "dates" with them. According to the report, Ramsey "left town soon after the News Sentinel expose began. One stop was in Dayton, Ohio, where many Cocke Countians have gone in the past to find employment."

June 29: The family of the 15-year-old girl is allegedly threatened by an unidentified man at their home in South Knoxville. The man allegedly comes to their home and threatens to harm the girl if she doesn't leave with him, tells her he has "a score to settle" and says that he's carrying a pistol. The girl says she didn't recognize the man, who left in a car with Sevier county tags.

July 11: All six Tennessee Highway Patrol troopers stationed in Cocke County are suspended after an internal probe allegedly turns up evidence of misconduct.

July 21: The two women who allegedly lured the 15-year-old Knoxville girl to Newport are indicted by a Knox County grand jury on a charge of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. The suspects are identified as Belva King and Linda Darnell. Belva King is the daughter of Lila King, who reportedly co-owns the business where the girl was taken to work.

Read the rest here>>> http://www.knoxnews.com/special/cockecounty/
Is this a new article or just old news brought back up? It never gets old, lol
Truth

Knoxville, TN

#3 Apr 7, 2013
I get so sick of parents saying their little angel was "lured" by someone else into drugs, being a prostitute, or some other illegal activity.

Raise your kid to think for themselves. And even if you don't accept the fact that your kid made a conscience decision. Nobody "lured" them anywhere.

They done exactly what they wanted to do. So suck it up and deal with it.
News Hound

Knoxville, TN

#4 Apr 7, 2013
Truth wrote:
I get so sick of parents saying their little angel was "lured" by someone else into drugs, being a prostitute, or some other illegal activity.
Raise your kid to think for themselves. And even if you don't accept the fact that your kid made a conscience decision. Nobody "lured" them anywhere.
They done exactly what they wanted to do. So suck it up and deal with it.
I know for a fact that some teens from Knoxville's Vestal area were kidnapped, locked in rooms and pimped out.
Read the whole article, actually many articles and you'll recognize some of this 40+ history of Cocke county crime. Many of the crimes were committed by cops or protected by them for a cut.
These are very interesting articles no matter whether you're from the area or not.
justice

United States

#5 Apr 7, 2013
Truth wrote:
I get so sick of parents saying their little angel was "lured" by someone else into drugs, being a prostitute, or some other illegal activity.

Raise your kid to think for themselves. And even if you don't accept the fact that your kid made a conscience decision. Nobody "lured" them anywhere.

They done exactly what they wanted to do. So suck it up and deal with it.
Well written Truth. Personal responsibility comes from upbringing and challenged by the distractions of today. Tough road for some but many succeed and those successes are what we celebrate.
GIMME A BREAK

Jefferson City, TN

#6 Apr 7, 2013
News Hound wrote:
<quoted text>
I know for a fact that some teens from Knoxville's Vestal area were kidnapped, locked in rooms and pimped out.
Read the whole article, actually many articles and you'll recognize some of this 40+ history of Cocke county crime. Many of the crimes were committed by cops or protected by them for a cut.
These are very interesting articles no matter whether you're from the area or not.
Nothing like the good old days!!!!
Sounds like some things never change. It still exists even now!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 7 min REO 150,279
Resturants 58 min DC 2
pill dealer 1 hr bebebebe 7
robin ledford 1 hr rodeogirl 6
English Mountain Football (Nov '08) 2 hr cougars cant be beat 1,705
Husband and wife arrested for dealing drugs at ... 4 hr someone 1
people we good do without in newport (Feb '10) 4 hr timbuck 216
•••
•••
•••

Newport Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Newport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Newport News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Newport
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••