Cocke County School System Spending T...

Cocke County School System Spending Too Much Money

Posted in the Newport Forum

tax payer

Nashville, TN

#1 Feb 14, 2010
Does any of the tax payers know about the spending going on at the cocke county school system? They are taking out of state trips on tax payers money. They are going to colorado, new mexico, new orleans, just go and look at the records. They are calling these trips "training trips". Ask employees like Donnie Frazier, Paul Cogburn, Dennis Balch, Larry Blazer, etc... These peoplle have been in the school system for years, how much training do they need. What they do is they take the subject in front of the school board, the school board makes a motion to pass and a second, it's passed with no question at all.
The tax payers don't even know whats going on. We are footing the bill. This is not a bashing thread, this is a wake up call. The tax payers need to know. I worked for them 24 years I know what I'm talking about. there are some other things that will come out later on.
Mrs X

Knoxville, TN

#2 Feb 16, 2010
I agree I would be willing to bet that the government, in one form or another is the largest employer in the county. How many people does city, county , and state employ in this county? What pisses me off is a lot of members of various boards in this county live in another! Larry Blazer though he has retired lived in jeff county for a number of years while while serving as Cocke county's school board.
cosby grl

Springfield, TN

#3 Feb 16, 2010
Our school board allows these trips to offer opportunities to kids who would normally never get to do them. Besides you may have worked for the school board but did you know students have to raise a large portion of the money they use for trips? I have went on several school funded trips where we went out of state and i had a blast and if it were not for the school allowing me to, then i would have never got to experience those things. Besides it is rather obvious a lot of parents in our community don't contribute to their child's eduction. Is it so bad that the city wants to take some of the tax money to enrich the lives of our children?
Cindy

Morristown, TN

#4 Feb 16, 2010
I thin Manny Moore is doing a good job...
bit of thought

Springfield, TN

#5 Feb 17, 2010
I agree. He is one of the best guys our school board has ever had.
Betty Smith

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#6 Aug 5, 2011
I think everyone in cocke county needs to replaced if they are in any type of government or county position until then cocke county will always be crooked trust me I live here and have to deal with it for now unifortunately.
Betty Smith

United States

#7 Aug 5, 2011
what has manney moore done that is so great and wonderful...nothing nothing at all thats the problem.
tidsd

Morristown, TN

#8 Aug 5, 2011
I like Mannie too. Its some of the other idiots that need out of there.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#9 Aug 6, 2011
cosby grl wrote:
Our school board allows these trips to offer opportunities to kids who would normally never get to do them. Besides you may have worked for the school board but did you know students have to raise a large portion of the money they use for trips? I have went on several school funded trips where we went out of state and i had a blast and if it were not for the school allowing me to, then i would have never got to experience those things. Besides it is rather obvious a lot of parents in our community don't contribute to their child's eduction. Is it so bad that the city wants to take some of the tax money to enrich the lives of our children?
please re-read the original post it says nothing about field trips it is talking about the employees of the school board taking said trips
Lois

United States

#10 Aug 6, 2011
If you read the records of the Cocke County School Board, you will see that a whole lot of the central office people do go on lots of nice trips out of state. I don't know if they are warranted but they do go on these trips. They also get lots of nice perks such as free things from electronic people and other nice toys. Their lunch breaks are longer and their hours are less structured than the people in the schools. It seems to me that the central office is top heavy with people and lots of relatives work there. Just my opinion.
True

United States

#11 Aug 10, 2011
Yes...one of my teachers, no names, bragged to the class about a "training trip" to Las Vegas, Navada he got sent on.....What in the world would a training convention be in Las Vegas for!?!? Cocke County for you, Idiots!
bill

Morristown, TN

#12 Aug 10, 2011
like Nathan chambers has GOT to GO!!!!!!!!!!
Cheap

Knoxville, TN

#13 Aug 13, 2011
Well one things for sure they don't spend a dime on our school.Ex, lockers,auditorium,gym.The gym should have been fixed by now.
Lane

Morristown, TN

#14 Sep 12, 2011
The school system is quick to hire lots of retiree (good old boys) with 100 day contracts. The system also seems to 'create' positions for various people. It is interesting. It is also interesting to see whose relatives get hired where. Oh well.
TooDumbToUnderst and

United States

#15 Sep 13, 2011
ALL school systems in America send qualified staff to conferences to remain current on educational trends and techniques. Often, these trips are paid for with state, federal, or vendor funding. Most of these trips are mandatory. Education is so bad across the state that TN competed and won Race to the Top funds, designed to OVERHAUL statewide education practices, necessitating more distance training. Since this is clearly over your head, and you probably don't pay taxes anyway, why not shut up and leave the heavy thinking to the folks with the credentials to do it? Mr. Moore and the School Board have significantly improved the schools in a very short period of time. If morons like you stay out of the way, we'll all be fine. Or did you miss the news that Cocke County had the most improved test scores in the state?
Linda

Hartsville, SC

#16 Sep 13, 2011
tax payer wrote:
Does any of the tax payers know about the spending going on at the cocke county school system? They are taking out of state trips on tax payers money. They are going to colorado, new mexico, new orleans, just go and look at the records. They are calling these trips "training trips". Ask employees like Donnie Frazier, Paul Cogburn, Dennis Balch, Larry Blazer, etc... These peoplle have been in the school system for years, how much training do they need. What they do is they take the subject in front of the school board, the school board makes a motion to pass and a second, it's passed with no question at all.
The tax payers don't even know whats going on. We are footing the bill. This is not a bashing thread, this is a wake up call. The tax payers need to know. I worked for them 24 years I know what I'm talking about. there are some other things that will come out later on.
One of many things that money is wasted on. And they (CLB) have the audacity to want a wheel tax so they can WASTE more of our money. I say NO! We are taxed to death and are not going take it anymore!

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#17 Sep 13, 2011
do we get to vote on this?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bobby cody 1 hr shanon 11
Sam and Lisa Hill (Jul '13) 1 hr close to them 7
Sarah Bell Smith 3 hr Joe blow 1
Kim Turner (white trash from Del Rio) (Apr '12) 3 hr old flame 2
New to the area 4 hr LoNG_Shot 3
tRump supported by the kkk 7 hr Country boy 15
Wreck on 340 7 hr Wondering 15

Newport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance