For gay youths, middle school can be ...

For gay youths, middle school can be toughest time

There are 15 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Oct 12, 2010, titled For gay youths, middle school can be toughest time. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

By the time she was in 8th grade, Rory Mann was so aware of the differences between her and other students that she couldn't bear to enter the cafeteria.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

unnatural tendencies

United States

#1 Oct 12, 2010
I feel sorry for the confused children who clearly had no strong family support and guidance, and ended up believing the c.r.a.p. being shoveled by the media about homosexuality being o.k.
It's not. Even the youngest of children instinctively know it, hence the ridicule towards the outcasts.
The agenda of dismantling the family here in the U.S. continues on unabated.
Shay

Santa Clara, CA

#2 Oct 12, 2010
Same-sex play is common with alot of kids. They may be scared of the other gender, or just exploring their own feelings and bodies. When they are condemned for doing what's natural to ALL kids at this age, it's setting them up for life-long shame and loneliness.

It's that shame - imposed on innocent children by jealous grownups who wish they could have as much fun as we do - that sends kids to "the closet" and some to suicide.

So, jealous grownups, get out of those loveless marriages of convenience and live a little. Let kids be kids, and let grownups enjoy what they have earned - a lifetime of fulfillment with the partner of their own choice.
Argelia Gamez

United States

#3 Oct 12, 2010
My opinion on this subject is a little different. I know for a fact that humans that have these tendencies lack some sort of cromosomes. It is a phisiological problem, not a choice. So children that are in this situation need to follow their needs and live accordingly and the rest of humanity GET A LIFE AND LET LIVE.....
So Sad

El Paso, TX

#4 Oct 12, 2010
It is what it is....they just need someone to talk to so they can figure out a way to get through their feelings and any negativity they encounter. If it's experimental, then teaching responsibility, precautions and safety is important. If its confusion, then listening to how they feel can make all the difference. It can make a difference on how well they can live their lives.
the original curious cat

Watsonville, CA

#5 Oct 12, 2010
this was a really great article for the Sentinel to run. i have posted on other threads about the alarming problem of suicide for gay youth. it's great to see the Sentinel publish a really good article on this. kudos to the editors.

they even posted links to some organizations which deal with gay teen bullying and suicide. i hope every Sentinel reader takes a long look at this article and becomes an advocate for tolerance and the protection of gay teens.

gay teens need gay safe zones in schools, in apartment complexes and where they shop. schools and the police must protect gay teens much more effectively than they are currently doing.

kudos to the Sentinel editors for making the first step in educating readers.
Smartron

San Francisco, CA

#6 Oct 12, 2010
I am on the fence. Should I teach my boys it is okay or teach them how girls work. Any boy with a calendar can schedule it out but is it a good idea? Comments are welcome at [email protected]
Special

El Paso, TX

#7 Oct 12, 2010
It seems like the ones who are bullied are destined for greatness and do positive things when they grow up and the bullies are nothing special
wow

Santa Cruz, CA

#8 Oct 13, 2010
the original curious cat wrote:
this was a really great article for the Sentinel to run. i have posted on other threads about the alarming problem of suicide for gay youth. it's great to see the Sentinel publish a really good article on this. kudos to the editors.
they even posted links to some organizations which deal with gay teen bullying and suicide. i hope every Sentinel reader takes a long look at this article and becomes an advocate for tolerance and the protection of gay teens.
gay teens need gay safe zones in schools, in apartment complexes and where they shop. schools and the police must protect gay teens much more effectively than they are currently doing.
kudos to the Sentinel editors for making the first step in educating readers.
Gay safe zones? Santa Cruz is a gay safe zone. Kids will always bully other kids. Its a part of growing up. This whole overreaction to these 8 an heroes is ridiculous. I don't know a single person who wasn't teased or bullied at some point growing up. The only result of all this will be society catering to LGBTs.
wow

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Oct 13, 2010
Special wrote:
It seems like the ones who are bullied are destined for greatness and do positive things when they grow up and the bullies are nothing special
Exactly. Getting bullied and learning how to handle it builds character.
Jaded

United States

#10 Oct 13, 2010
unnatural tendencies wrote:
I feel sorry for the confused children who clearly had no strong family support and guidance, and ended up believing the c.r.a.p. being shoveled by the media about homosexuality being o.k.
It's not. Even the youngest of children instinctively know it, hence the ridicule towards the outcasts.
The agenda of dismantling the family here in the U.S. continues on unabated.
So if these kids had strong male models (hunters, fishers, macho men for dads) and strong female models (June Cleaver) they wouldn't have any problems right? Instead of trying to outlaw homosexuals, why not make laws requiring men to be macho and outlaw women working? Then these "frail" women can stay home barefoot and pregnant pumping out more children that will never suffer any type of emotional crisis. Wow. It also sounds like you support ridicule and bullying (as long as you are picking on gays). If you should ever have a child, I hope and pray that they are not born with homosexual tendencies. I can see you leading the taunting on the playground. Gays are not dismantling family values. They want the right to legitimize their relationships, they want the right to adopt their partners children. They want to live the american dream, just like you do. Why do you hate so much? Did you pick that up from the bible?

Since: May 08

Beggs, OK

#11 Oct 13, 2010
unnatural tendencies wrote:
I feel sorry for the confused children who clearly had no strong family support and guidance, and ended up believing the c.r.a.p. being shoveled by the media about homosexuality being o.k.
It's not. Even the youngest of children instinctively know it, hence the ridicule towards the outcasts.
The agenda of dismantling the family here in the U.S. continues on unabated.
Yes and my Dad can remember staring and gawking and being afraid the first time he saw a black person when he was a young child raised by whites only around whites only. Why do you think he would have had that reaction?

“I'm not gay, I'm celisexual!”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#12 Oct 13, 2010
BlueLamp wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and my Dad can remember staring and gawking and being afraid the first time he saw a black person when he was a young child raised by whites only around whites only. Why do you think he would have had that reaction?
Because he lived in Oklahoma? j/k.
unnatural tendencies

United States

#13 Oct 13, 2010
Jaded wrote:
<quoted text>
So if these kids had strong male models (hunters, fishers, macho men for dads) and strong female models (June Cleaver) they wouldn't have any problems right? Instead of trying to outlaw homosexuals, why not make laws requiring men to be macho and outlaw women working? Then these "frail" women can stay home barefoot and pregnant pumping out more children that will never suffer any type of emotional crisis. Wow. It also sounds like you support ridicule and bullying (as long as you are picking on gays). If you should ever have a child, I hope and pray that they are not born with homosexual tendencies. I can see you leading the taunting on the playground. Gays are not dismantling family values. They want the right to legitimize their relationships, they want the right to adopt their partners children. They want to live the american dream, just like you do. Why do you hate so much? Did you pick that up from the bible?
Thank you for highlighting my point. I forgot to mention that a distinct lack of critical thinking skills accompanies the neglect suffered by ignored children. You have such a bizarre and confused image of men and women. Men must be macho? Women frail, pregnant and pumping out babies? I'm a bully and lead the taunting on the playground?
I "hate"? Which you believe I got from Biblical teachings?
Wow, you really are a confused soul.
My prescription for you: THINK for yourself. READ lots of books. AVOID television. TAKE LONG WALKS in nature, alone. STOP drinking alcohol. GO TO BED early, RISE early in the morning. EXCERCISE (though not at a "gym"). STAY AWAY from "clubs". LISTEN TO MUSIC that enrichens your soul (not pop,hip-hop,rap,etc.)
When reading the "holy books" of the various ancient spiritual teachers, one of the things I took note of which they all had in common was that they each had spent a protracted period of time by themselves in the wilderness. Try it if at all possible, as I believe it can bring you great wisdom.
And good luck in your endeavours.
unnatural tendencies

United States

#14 Oct 13, 2010
BlueLamp wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and my Dad can remember staring and gawking and being afraid the first time he saw a black person when he was a young child raised by whites only around whites only. Why do you think he would have had that reaction?
Perhaps his parents had failed to educate him as to (among other things) the existence of the other races inhabiting our planet?

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Oct 13, 2010
Gay kids are not the only kids who are bullied in middle school, and gay kids are not the only kids who have miserable experiences in middle school.

The problem is bullying, period, not that gay kids are particularly targeted. Anyone who is perceived as "different" can be targeted.

I'm glad to see the positive steps that have been taken over the past decade but I would love to see some focus on anti-bullying parenting. Too many parents seem to have the attitude that bullying in school is normal behavior. It's not.

All of our kids need to feel safe in school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fight to legalize gay marriage in Rhode Island (Jan '13) May 25 Sandra Joseph 525
Middletown 1955-1960 (Jul '08) May 17 dpharvey00 12
News Sex abuse scandal rocks exclusive New England p... May 14 Anthony Scarpuzzi... 6
News National Commander of American Legion Visits Ne... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Newport to Providence Ferry Planned Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News GoLocalProv | Politics | Powdered Alcohol, Crim... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
News Newport's Daffodil Days Begins with Perfect Wea... Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newport Mortgages