For gay youths, middle school can be ...

For gay youths, middle school can be toughest time

There are 6 comments on the Las Vegas Sun story from Oct 12, 2010, titled For gay youths, middle school can be toughest time. In it, Las Vegas Sun reports that:

By the time she was in eighth grade, Rory Mann was so aware of the differences between her and other students that she couldn't bear to enter the cafeteria.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Vegas Sun.

Not duped

Grove City, PA

#1 Oct 12, 2010
Hello!!! Middle school is the toughest time for EVERYONE.
bi-pride

New York, NY

#2 Oct 12, 2010
i know this all to well i am a freshmen in h.s. n it is hard, middle school was hard i was really learning what bisexuality was. i mean i had already accepted at a relativley young age 6-8 it wasnt abig deal girls were cute so were guys i liked both nothing was wrong withthat for me. when i started learning something was wrong with it was in 6th someone called me a dyke. i knew what that was i wasnt that i liked both and i hated that term for it being called a dyke was just bad i didnt like it. i had never thought of myself as bad or not right sexually wise i mean i was just discovering it but that word dyke it stayed with me. by 8th i was open but not flamboyant i didnt tell ppl but didnt hide it either(i had told a few teachers that i trusted and my parents) kids would call me dyke or p****eater it didnt faze me i had learned to ignore it. but now its different i had gotten threaten even had to fight a few times but me being black going to a basically black and hispanic school in my opinon is worse some black ppl believe it is a white ppl disease and sometime it gets hard, i would have to say h.s. is harder than junior h.s.
Shay

Santa Clara, CA

#3 Oct 12, 2010
I came out in middle school. I think it's alot tougher for kids who are closeted and for whatever reason ashamed of their sexual orientation. I did lose a few friends, but made lots of new ones (mostly girls, I admit), including a few str8 guys who looked me up when they were desperate for some companionship that was "feminine and willing."
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#4 Oct 12, 2010
I was in grade school in the 60's (There was no middle school then), and in high school in 70 - 74.

Kids who come out nowadays at an early age show great courage. I didn't come out til I went to college. Doing so earlier would have been unthinkable. It was bad enough just being Irish at Commack South in the 70's. And even if I had been able to do so, I would have gotten NO support at home.

The few times that gay people were even mentioned in my house in the early 70's my parents told me to stay away from "those funny boys".

My mother once told me cryptically that there was one of those "funny boys" who lived the next block over. His sister and my sister were friends. And his parents had him committed to a mental hospital because my mother said "he liked boys".

I'm sure that if I had come out before college, my parents would have done the same thing. I've been totally out for over 30 years now, and it was NOT easy being closeted in high school.

Incidentally, I read that novel "The Geography Club" a few years ago and it's a GREAT book ! I recommend it to you all, even if you are an adult. It was well written, funny,and touching. And i think we can all relate to some of the things in the novel.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#5 Oct 13, 2010
Frank Stanton wrote:
I was in grade school in the 60's (There was no middle school then), and in high school in 70 - 74.
Kids who come out nowadays at an early age show great courage. I didn't come out til I went to college. Doing so earlier would have been unthinkable. It was bad enough just being Irish at Commack South in the 70's. And even if I had been able to do so, I would have gotten NO support at home.
The few times that gay people were even mentioned in my house in the early 70's my parents told me to stay away from "those funny boys".
My mother once told me cryptically that there was one of those "funny boys" who lived the next block over. His sister and my sister were friends. And his parents had him committed to a mental hospital because my mother said "he liked boys".
I'm sure that if I had come out before college, my parents would have done the same thing. I've been totally out for over 30 years now, and it was NOT easy being closeted in high school.
Incidentally, I read that novel "The Geography Club" a few years ago and it's a GREAT book ! I recommend it to you all, even if you are an adult. It was well written, funny,and touching. And i think we can all relate to some of the things in the novel.
I came out as a freshman in high school. I as 15 and the year was 1959. My parents supported me all the way. They were, understandably, hurt ashamed, and fearful, but they loved me and did all they could to protect me. As it turned out, their fear for my safety was warranted. Luckily, I lived through it, and am very much stronger today than I probably otherwise would have been. It was Hell on Earth, but it was worth it.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6 Oct 13, 2010
Not duped wrote:
Hello!!! Middle school is the toughest time for EVERYONE.
Social Darwinist

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News National Commander of American Legion Visits Ne... Apr 16 Lucy Jane 1
News Newport to Providence Ferry Planned Apr 16 Lucy Jane 1
News GoLocalProv | Politics | Powdered Alcohol, Crim... Apr 16 Lucy Jane 1
News Newport's Daffodil Days Begins with Perfect Wea... Apr 16 Lucy Jane 1
Middletown 1955-1960 (Jul '08) Apr 4 Tim Bunn 11
News Sex abuse scandal rocks exclusive New England p... Feb '16 Phil 5
Vote for Thompson Middle School! Jan '16 Bdewitt 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newport Mortgages