Can someone tell me about Seal Rock and Newport?

Posted in the Newport Forum

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Aug 28, 2009
Carrie USA

AOL

#1 Aug 11, 2006
Hi, We are thinking about moving to the Newport area and buying an ocean front home. We are from California and from reading this forum it came to my attention that Californians are not welcomed. Is that true? We do not want to move somewhere that we are not welcomed. Is this the majority view or just a few simple-minded people's opinion? We never even knew that such discrimination existed.

Since: Jan 06

Orlando, FL

#2 Aug 12, 2006
although that feeling sometimes exists...that's pretty overstated.

and when it does happen, it is...as you put it...a few simple-minded people's opinions...."

Newport really is an awesome place....that has quite a few californians (really, the whole state does). There's this sizable and growing contingent there from elsewhere that's well to do. Sometimes some locals resent that more than anything. I know loads of portlanders who live there part time....including myself.

You stick with that crowd....you'll have a blast.

The few instances that i know of where slants were made against cali expatriates was when the meanies used that to slam them for some other reason that the californians had annoyed them. Like many stupid things...it's an insult used because they're mad about something else or in a dispute over something.

There's more cool stuff about newport at www.beachconnection.net ......lots o' details.
Kate

Springfield, OR

#3 Aug 12, 2006
Carrie - don't let it spook you. There are certainly locals who complain that a lot of Californians are moving to the area with money to spend on housing, and driving up property values, but you'll find that most people are welcoming, and even those that complain about Californians as a group are generally nice to individuals/families.
The economy in Lincoln County is not healthy, which can make it hard for the working population to see "Californians" coming in with a lot of money to spend in a housing market that used to be affordable. A moderate-sized home in California can cost as much as a very large home here, which sort of skews the market. I don't think you'll find many people unfriendly in person, though - Oregon's a very friendly place. Besides, you'll find people from all over the country here, not just born-and-bred locals!

Come to Oregon, enjoy.
Carrie USA

AOL

#4 Aug 13, 2006
Thank You Andre and Kate for easing my mind. Andre the beach connection site is great, I was all over that site for an hour or more. Kate, we will come to beautiful Oregon and enjoy. Thanks Again!
Carlos

Miami, FL

#5 Feb 6, 2007
carrie I am from Miami and am considering Newport oregon as well.It is all I want in a town Mild temmpetures small town but still plenty to do.On the most beautiful coast in the world.safe from violence.cheap to live compared to here.I pay $950 a month for a 300 sq ft studio apt in a dangerouse slum in Miami with the sounds of gun shots and sirons to sleep to.I earn $3 dollars an hour as a waiter plus small tips.In newport waiters are paid $8 an hour and in newport I can get a 1,200 sq ft 2 br single family house across the street from the beach with a partial ocean view and sleep to the sound of waves and seals.I think newport would be a good place for my 2 year old son to grow up in.newport is a small town yet it still has plenty to do because it has a strong tourism economy.my second chioce would be seaside but seaside is a little less scenic but at the same time its closer to portland.Newport however is very close to corvallis and lincoln city.Stay away from newport south beach.It is in sunami territorry.Most of newport is sunami safe.Most of the direct ocean front newport homes are in a danger zone though.If I was you I would opt for a home across the street or on a hill with an ocean view.You can still see the ocean and still walk to the beach.Bottom line newport is a near perfect town but keep in mind there is a possible sunami threat.Com ming from Miami Hurricane zone I know first hand mother nature aint nothin to mess with.
Carlos

Miami, FL

#6 Feb 9, 2007
Carrie for the most part I think Oregon has very open minded well mannered freindly people.Keep in Mind there is racism everywhere.Even In Miami Do You have any idea what white people "the 1% minority" go through in Miami? If I was you go to google earth or yellow pages.Cal around buisnesses and talk to the people that live there.They all seem freindly.I am not sure your nationality but here is the estimated fugures.

87% white
9% latino
4% asian

as you can see as expected it is mostly anglo but it has a little mix so I do not think discrimination is much of an issue.

“Shallow introspection”

Since: Jan 07

Cathlamet, WA

#7 Feb 9, 2007
When you find a paradise, others will follow. Then they'll bring their families and start new ones. Pretty soon paradise is lost and hatreds begin to fester.
What did Jesse Jackson mean when he said we need to break the cycle of pain?
Carlos

Miami, FL

#8 Feb 9, 2007
I have a stong feeling People in Oregon want to hold on to what they got by detering people from going there.

Since: Jan 06

Tucson, AZ

#9 Feb 18, 2007
Carlos wrote:
I have a stong feeling People in Oregon want to hold on to what they got by detering people from going there.
nah....that's not necessarily true. if we sound like we want to spook people, most of us oregonians are jsut trying to be realistic and lay it on the line. Some of the comments here come acress as deterants, though. I see that. Most are just trying to point out the possible negatives....trying to make sure you know what you're getting into. I wouldn't blame a soul for wanting to come here. It's awesome. i can't imagine living anywhere else.

this is one very considerate, caring state. MOre than i can say for most of the rest of the world, or the rest of this nation.

just one caution, carlos: do NOT move to Salem. Weird, creeepy people, ill-natured population. It's nasty. I actually have empiracal evidence to back this up, from an in-depth story i researched a few years back while a newspaper reporter. the statistics play it out. leave salem alone
moira

Scappoose, OR

#10 May 1, 2007
Carrie USA wrote:
Hi, We are thinking about moving to the Newport area and buying an ocean front home. We are from California and from reading this forum it came to my attention that Californians are not welcomed. Is that true? We do not want to move somewhere that we are not welcomed. Is this the majority view or just a few simple-minded people's opinion? We never even knew that such discrimination existed.

Most everyone in these areas are from CA and they are welcome its a standing joke all over the USA that CA people causes Real Estate to go crazy, that is all it is, and this is a great area to live, yes it rains a lot, but we also have great sunny beautiful days, and a coastline like no other place or earth for it open clean air, and beauty
tentooth

Waldport, OR

#14 Jul 22, 2009
i live right on the beach just 3miles south of sealrock and am a local contractor and lots of californians buys houses here..this is a tourist town so out of staters are always welcome..the summer gets hectic here but in the winter things slow down and are much calmer..
Sarah

Portland, OR

#15 Aug 28, 2009
Andre_H wrote:
<quoted text>
nah....that's not necessarily true. if we sound like we want to spook people, most of us oregonians are jsut trying to be realistic and lay it on the line. Some of the comments here come acress as deterants, though. I see that. Most are just trying to point out the possible negatives....trying to make sure you know what you're getting into. I wouldn't blame a soul for wanting to come here. It's awesome. i can't imagine living anywhere else.
this is one very considerate, caring state. MOre than i can say for most of the rest of the world, or the rest of this nation.
just one caution, carlos: do NOT move to Salem. Weird, creeepy people, ill-natured population. It's nasty. I actually have empiracal evidence to back this up, from an in-depth story i researched a few years back while a newspaper reporter. the statistics play it out. leave salem alone
I agree, Salem is nasty. Keizer on the other hand is a wonderful town. 30,000+ pop but with a small town feel and excellent schools!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OR Who do you support for Governor in Oregon in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 23 We Hate Coos Bay ... 204
Oregon Coast Whales - Guide to Whale Watching; ... Jul '14 Shelly Slader 1
Review: Drift Creek Landing Jun '14 B Padgett 4
News Anchor: Kiera Morgan Jun '14 luther ray 1
Live music in Newport May '14 NotSo 1
Portland elects its first openly gay mayor (May '08) May '14 JoB 104
Seeking friends of a long lost person in Newport (Dec '08) May '14 JoB 3
•••
•••
Newport Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••