Waterfront idea: Build aquarium

Waterfront project: With all the disagreements on what to build and who will build it seems we to be a never-ending problem. Full Story

Since: Dec 07

Eureka, Ca

#1 Feb 26, 2008
There is also one in Crescent City. Coast Oyster provided Sting Rays from the bay to them.
Tourist

San Martin, CA

#2 Feb 26, 2008
I'd like that, but I don't think King Rob would for long.
tinman12

Paradise, CA

#3 Feb 26, 2008
it was proposed years ago however, the city council in their grand wisdom (WISDUMB) thought there are more viable projects. So far none have come to be.It was deemed more important to dump millions into a trench under the bay. why waste land on projects? where will all the homeless dirtbags hang out?
Leon Slanderson

Crescent City, CA

#4 Feb 26, 2008
Eureka should build a Waterfront aquarium complete with a Great White, Sand,Tiger, and Hammerhead Shark Lagoon with sea-lions on it's banks. Next door there could be built an Old West style re-creation of Eureka, complete with church, saloon, jail, town hall, and hanging deck; which could be built cannolevered over the shark lagoon. Re-creations of Old West justice could be practiced hear by the fed-up residents dressed in costume on the repeat offenders of the week. It could be quite a tourist draw!
Eurekan at Heart

Martinez, CA

#5 Feb 26, 2008
So Eureka wants to build an aquarium? Sounds like the town is fast becoming the little SF or Oakland of Humboldt. I don't know, I kinda think that Eureka should remain the beautiful victorian seaport that it is and leave the SF bay area to be the SF bay area. Here's a tip, figure out how to fund your library and keep it open before starting a project as this. How many days a week will Eureka be able to keep the aquarium open per week? 1 mabe 2? The weekends?
jason

Lubbock, TX

#6 Feb 26, 2008
A well done aquarium would be a great addition to our community. Perhaps a combination of private venture and public funding would help to keep it afloat.
TryThisFirst

United States

#7 Feb 26, 2008
How about restoring Fort Humboldt before starting any new projects? The state can't afford the project, why can't the City of Eureka work with them to get the ball rolling? Beautiful spot, totally underused and un-appreciated.
One More Thing

Martinez, CA

#8 Feb 26, 2008
I just found out that your Rhody Day Parade has been canceled indefinitely! If you can't even fund an event as this, where is the money to come from? By the way how many days of the week is your library open now? I really love the big hotel in the city that is just sitting and rotting albeit with a new paint job. That other place the Humboldt Hilton as its called, that was a nice added attraction for the visitors of this fine little town. Yes I really think Eureka should think long and hard about all the things I have talked about before venturing into another poorly thought out plan. GOOD LUCK EUREKA!
criticex

Eureka, CA

#9 Feb 26, 2008
I dunno, kinda torn on the idea. I mean we already have a collection of sea life, it's called the ocean. An aquarium is just an easy and lazy way to further separate humans from the rest of nature. Also, it's a zoo for sea creatures. The recent tiger fiasco at the SF Zoo has caused me rethink and examine my personal views on zoos. Then again, I have had a small home aquarium since I was kid but I wouldn't keep cetaceans (obviously at home) but where do you draw the line? I am pro-tourism though so mostly my concern would be if such a thing is viable. I'd be curious to see the numbers for Crescent City. An aquarium would be very expensive to do it right. It would be (literally) on shaky ground. Not to mention it's hard to say where the sea level will be in twenty years, perhaps the whole of the bottoms will be under water. So maybe building a cutting edge generator based on tides, waves, wind, and temperature would be more wise. People from all over the world would come inspect such a project like people come to see the Arcata Marsh water treatment area.

Since: Feb 08

Calguns.net

#10 Feb 29, 2008
Just build a Home-Depo all ready Im tired of driving to Reding
jason

Lubbock, TX

#11 Mar 1, 2008
Figures you would drive all the way to Redding instead of Crescent City. Love that Iraqi oil, 3.50 gas, and the biggest waste of your tax dollars EVER. Enjoy the ride, it is long from over.

“HENCHMAN OF JUSTICE”

Since: Dec 07

McKinleyville

#12 Mar 1, 2008
How about leaving the animals alone. I am sure the aquatic life would not want to be enslaved by human beings. Oh, but they can't think or communicate, right?

Again, just leave them alone in their natural environment and not as commercial pets.

Jeffrey Lytle
McKinleyville - 5th District
Jeff E

Eureka, CA

#13 Mar 1, 2008
Such ignorance of the basic rules of business. You need customers.

The reason no aquarium has been already built on the waterfront is because it is a terrible idea. It would never make money. It would be doomed to bankruptcy & even the one in Crescent City has always been on the verge of closing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OR Who do you support for Governor in Oregon in 2010? (Oct '10) 10 hr Havnt done nothing 206
barbara ann jordan (Jun '09) Sep 23 furrealz 9
Oregon Coast Whales - Guide to Whale Watching; ... Jul '14 Shelly Slader 1
Review: Drift Creek Landing Jun '14 B Padgett 4
News Anchor: Kiera Morgan Jun '14 luther ray 1
Live music in Newport May '14 NotSo 1
Portland elects its first openly gay mayor (May '08) May '14 JoB 104

Newport Jobs

Newport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Newport News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Newport

Personal Finance