Newport police dress as firefighters ...

Newport police dress as firefighters to arrest N.H. man

There are 10 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Mar 5, 2009, titled Newport police dress as firefighters to arrest N.H. man. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

Determined to avoid an armed standoff, police in Newport dressed as firefighters to trick, and arrest a man they said pointed a shotgun at an officer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

P-Lo

Glover, VT

#1 Mar 6, 2009
Clever, but I wonder what the fire department's insurance company thought of that. (Sorry, I'm a fire department bureaucrat.)
Wes Lester

Peterborough, NH

#2 Mar 6, 2009
Stands up and applauds the police departments competent handeling of a dangerous situation.
insider

Gilsum, NH

#3 Mar 6, 2009
The fire and police chiefs of Newport NH should be applauded for the creative thinking in diffusing a highly volatile situation with a known felon in possession of a weapon. Last time I checked, their missions of "public safety" in any town were the same. The NH Fireman's Union officials should get over it. Their arguments don't hold water or stand up to any moral judgements given the circumstances surrounding this incident. Who knows how this situation could have escalated into a life threatening hostage situation -we'll never know. Again, "KUDOS" to the cooperative effort between the Newport police and fire chiefs for a creative means of diffusing a potentially life threatening situation and two thumbs down to the Fireman Union for being critical.
Intelligent Tinkering

Williamstown, VT

#4 Mar 6, 2009
I saw on the NH news last night that there were firefighting associations upset with this. I think that's a shame since what could have been a VERY volatile situation was avoided quite calmly and cleanly. There was a small child (his own)in this fruitloop's aparment and other tenants in the building. All of them could have easily ended up dead. With the quick thinking of the police a really bad situation ended very well.

The scary part is the child's mother was on TV telling the world what a "great Dad" this guy is.
Didn't everybody's Dad answer the door with a loaded gun pointed at whoever was knocking?

“real news for real people”

Since: Feb 08

bristol

#5 Mar 6, 2009
we dont know if he answered the door with a gun? and maybe he is a good dad. also when police involve firemen in police work firemen become targets with out a gun.
Intelligent Tinkering

Williamstown, VT

#6 Mar 6, 2009
johneyonetime wrote:
we dont know if he answered the door with a gun? and maybe he is a good dad. also when police involve firemen in police work firemen become targets with out a gun.
Did you actually read the story?? You don't seem to have a clue.

The guy answered the door and pointed the gun at the officer's throat.The Police were dressed as Firemen when they went back and pulled the fire alarm to get everyone out of the building - the Firemen didn't go and serve as Police Officers for this.
The officer saw the guy's little boy in the apartment. Good Dads don't have lots of weapons laying around their apartment. They don't answer the door with a shotgun when their kid could be killed in a crossfire - or - by the way - even have weapons when they are covicted felons. So what's your point - are the Newport police making all of this up?

“real news for real people”

Since: Feb 08

bristol

#7 Mar 6, 2009
i know the police dressed as firemen. in general if cops are going to involve firefighters weather it be wearing there clothes or the many other things they do to involve them. then the fireman will become targets. criminals see anyone that works with police to be the police.

Since: Jul 08

Roseville, CA

#8 Mar 8, 2009
Wonderful; you gotta love it when somebody actually gets to pull off some half-hatched idea they've been cooking up for years.

We already get the drug cartels taking pot shots at our guys when we're working, now the cops are trying to encourage every lowlife criminal to panic around us as well. That's great. Hopefully patients start lying about what's going on because they think we're too buddy buddy with the cops. I mean, the side-effects of this sort of thinking are genius!
Wes Lester

Alstead, NH

#9 Mar 9, 2009
Saving Hawaii wrote:
Wonderful; you gotta love it when somebody actually gets to pull off some half-hatched idea they've been cooking up for years.
We already get the drug cartels taking pot shots at our guys when we're working, now the cops are trying to encourage every lowlife criminal to panic around us as well. That's great. Hopefully patients start lying about what's going on because they think we're too buddy buddy with the cops. I mean, the side-effects of this sort of thinking are genius!
Many more kids dress up as firemen on Halloween so does that mean they will thow candy at you too?

Since: Jul 08

Roseville, CA

#10 Mar 9, 2009
I can only hope.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bush gets testy over 'anchor babies' term (Aug '15) Jun '16 Shiloh 5
News PETA cancels 'Greased Pig on Ice' protest after... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Dr Wu 5
What Kasich keeps hidden from NH (Feb '16) Feb '16 Kasich Caution fr... 1
Hardy's Salve (Aug '08) Jan '16 rayK 13
Adam BAILEY (Jul '10) Dec '15 Sherry 8
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in New Hampsh... (Oct '10) Jul '15 Grunt56 31
Review: Piney Point Maintenance (Jun '12) Jul '15 dazendays 2

Newport Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newport Mortgages