Hampton police investigating homicide...

Hampton police investigating homicide near Atmosphere nightclub

There are 68 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Dec 24, 2007, titled Hampton police investigating homicide near Atmosphere nightclub. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Hampton police are investigating an overnight homicide. Authorities received a call around 1:30 a.m. that a black male victim had been shot near Atmosphere nightclub on the 500 block of Shell Rd.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Paul Lynn

Carrollton, VA

#1 Dec 24, 2007
Here is an example of the ABC board failing to do its job. This club has been the site of numerous shootings, assaults, alcohol and other violations. Its had to close down a bar when they are buying the liquor and license from the same people that are enforcing the ABC violations.
Louie

United States

#3 Dec 24, 2007
While we're at it let's blame the alcohol manufacturer's too. The people that go out to the bars/clubs have to take responsibilty for their own actions. It's saddening to hear of anyone getting killed in these situations, however people need to drink responsibly.
star light

United States

#5 Dec 24, 2007
thug on a mug wrote:
another h o m i e bites the dust
YOU ARE A CURLE PERSON. AND YOU DONT HAVE A HEART!!! JUST BECAUSE HE WAS AT A CLUB, DOES NOT MAKE HIM A THUG. GET A LIFE!
Richard Harris

Norfolk, VA

#6 Dec 24, 2007
But that's a Black club, so a shooting should not be an item of concern for local authorities as long as it was a patron and on the property. We all should be proud of such events as it's all part of the rich culture of diversity in a Black community.
Biff Steele

Newport News, VA

#7 Dec 24, 2007
What's a curle person?
star light wrote:
<quoted text> YOU ARE A CURLE PERSON. AND YOU DONT HAVE A HEART!!! JUST BECAUSE HE WAS AT A CLUB, DOES NOT MAKE HIM A THUG. GET A LIFE!
marshall

Virginia Beach, VA

#8 Dec 24, 2007
I think she/he meant cruel. Maybe the person needs a little night school.
Wow

Arlington, VA

#9 Dec 24, 2007
Biff Steele wrote:
What's a curle person?
<quoted text>
I think they meant to say cruel.
Tired of Ghettos

United States

#11 Dec 24, 2007
If this is what happens at these kind of places, let's have more of these places. The problem will take care of it's self.
wondering

Newport News, VA

#12 Dec 24, 2007
all of yall are racist....im a white guy and there is shootings at white bars....and who says there is white bars and black bars...from what i kno everybody is equal and it can happen anywere when people are drunk and irresponsible
No Brainer

Opa Locka, FL

#14 Dec 24, 2007
Keep the club open and the lights dim! If not, the quality patrons will scatter.

Dear Club Owner, You should post "Free Drinks!" on your doors. In small print simply indicate they must be shot and die to cash in on the deal.
Typical

Moseley, VA

#16 Dec 24, 2007
wondering wrote:
all of yall are racist....im a white guy and there is shootings at white bars....and who says there is white bars and black bars...from what i kno everybody is equal and it can happen anywere when people are drunk and irresponsible
Tell me the last time there was a shooting at McFaddens or in City Center in NN? Oh..there wasn't b/c the only black folks that go there are respectable one's that don't carry gun's and wear clothes that are 10X's too big! The people that go to those types of clubs live that lifestyle therefore they die by that lifestyle. It's a choice they make!
Tuttle

Omaha, NE

#17 Dec 24, 2007
Gee I'm glad this topic didn't turn racist like the others. It's refreshing to read comments from posters trying help stop the problem. Yep makes me proud to live here.
Greg

Killeen, TX

#18 Dec 24, 2007
As for some of these comments, stupid is as stupid does. As for the others, the thug mentality lends itself to the gun culture. Add alcohol and the '$150 landmine' called Timbs getting stepped on, and lead starts flying. It is sad, but it is nothing new. In so-called white bars/clubs, people get to fighting all the time. The difference is usually good security and police presence (and good friends) that deters gunfire. Age limits at clubs (mature audiences) usually means less gunfire, because somebody's tryna get laid and don't want stupidiy interfering with that.
No Brainer

Opa Locka, FL

#19 Dec 24, 2007
wondering wrote:
all of yall are racist....im a white guy and there is shootings at white bars....and who says there is white bars and black bars...from what i kno everybody is equal and it can happen anywere when people are drunk and irresponsible
young man, you are so dead-on right! We're all racists! And if you say you're are not, then you're a liar on top and you have a fetish. I can't blame you, because da sistah's got natural back!
gilliam

Hampton, VA

#20 Dec 24, 2007
I am a black man, and I must admit that I am ashamed for our young black men. Maybe it is true, that they have been programmed by games and torture tactics. Maybe all they know is how to shoot and fight and kill. Yes, one difference is the lack of security and friends. I am also so disappointed still that I am still faced with racist people everyday. It exist on both sides of the fence. No one likes anyone, not even themselves. To me, a racist is someone that hates others for being what the racist wishes they could be.
brm3y

Surry, VA

#21 Dec 24, 2007
I'm a black female and I like to party myself, as I am in college. The assumption that there will be shootings as long as there's booze and blacks is such a huge misconception. There are quality clubs that serve predominantly black patrons. I just don't know of any in Hampton. Lastly, I would never go to a club on Shell Road, that just seems sketchy.
martial arts

Waipahu, HI

#22 Dec 24, 2007
Rap is to blame G wrote:
Blacks + Alcohol + "I be disrespected" = Shooting or stabbing to death.
If it is a Black bar there will be killings, but you don't have that at White bars.
There is something seriously wrong with the young Black male metallity these days.
What about all of the white males that open fire at shopping malls, schools, and other public places?

The color of a persons skin has nothing to do with it.
dj henrock

White House, TN

#23 Dec 24, 2007
cant we all just get along its the holidays tis the season to be jolly
lost mother

Newport News, VA

#24 Dec 24, 2007
let me tell u all something!This thug you all are speaking of was my son's father.THAT'S RIGHT my 10 year old son.I would aslo like to let u know thay he was a hard working man who always provided for his family.He had a heart of gold and wouldn't hurt a sole NOW my child is left without the father he loved so very much....THIS CHRISTMAS!!!
lost mother

Newport News, VA

#29 Dec 24, 2007
maybe u all need to take the time to think about the 2 child that are suffering from this.A 12yr.old girl and a 10yr.old boy.They wll never understand,why the ather they loved so very much was taken.this was a man who was loved by many and hated by very few.Who are u to judge someone just by where they decide to go and have a good time...he was a very loving man.How would u feel if it were ur son,dad,brother,or loved one!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min USAsince1680 1,402,940
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Fri litesong 60,655
cancer cancer darn that cancer Jul 20 Ian 2
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) Jul 18 Jgfollett 2,342
Job Jul 17 Deonaten 1
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) Jul 17 Carl Ciprian 809
News Is Illinois couple's murder tied to bankruptcy ... (Oct '08) Jul 17 NewRiverGal 11

Newport News Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newport News Mortgages