Mistrial declared in Newport News tri...

Mistrial declared in Newport News trial after jury hung

There are 12 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from Apr 5, 2012, titled Mistrial declared in Newport News trial after jury hung. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

The juror voted that Courtney Holmes was not guilty of murder. It was a vote that canceled the power of the 11 other jurors who said he was guilty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

observer

Newport News, VA

#1 Apr 5, 2012
The article in the paper is wrong and misleading according to my neighbor who was on the jury and race had nothing to do with the outcome as indicated in the comment section. Furthermore I believe it is highly improper for the female prosecutor to tell the family members that she intended to contact the foreman and find out why they did not convict and do something about it. Report the true story instesd of trying to cover up the truth. Yesterday I spent about two hours watching part of it and was disappointed with the prosecution's presentation so I left and returned later to pick up my neighbor. She was in tears until she got home because she felt the wrong person was on trial. God bless these people!!!!
Watch Partol

Newport News, VA

#2 Apr 6, 2012
Mr. Braxtom did not work at the Naval Weapon Station. He ran the streets and was in a gang.Because of the street code, people donot come forward therefor am innocent man is in jail. The little bit I saw of the trial showed me the commonwealth was more concerned with a conviction than the truh.
CONCERNED

Dallas, TX

#5 Apr 7, 2012
I been following this case without any relations to defendant nor victim. But some things in this case is weighing heavy on my chest. No motive, No weapon, Not to mention if I may? no clothing im just saying. The witness said he stood over the victim and shot him two more times. BLOOD SPLATTER MAYBE? And than there you the inconsistent Of the WITNESS.
THIS CHILD SHOULD BE HOME NOT STILL LOCKED UP HIS ATTORNEY PROVED HIM TO BE INNOCENT.
Courtroom observer

United States

#6 Apr 7, 2012
On the first day of this trial i set in the court room and observed. This young man did not receive a fair trial. I set in the back of the court room with my mouth wide open as I watched Judge Pugh answer the questions for the witness on the prosecution side when questioned by the defense. His disposition toward the defense attorney was unethical. He constant stopped him in the middle of his questioning, he wouldnt allow the defense to ask pertinent questions which could have benefited the man on trial. judge Pugh's actions were unconstitutional and somewhat suspect. the way in which he carried on would lead one to beleive that he has a special interest for the prosecution side. my heart went out to the defendants family as watch one lady sit with tears streaming down her face appearing to be disturbed due to Judge pughs actions. a praying has been sent up for the Holmes family.
Detective Wayne

Newport News, VA

#7 Apr 7, 2012
I bet this is V's case. It is sad what PC this officer will use to obtain a warrant. He is more concerned about how fast he can solve the case even if innocent lives are messed up while doing it.
concern reader

Newark, NJ

#8 Apr 8, 2012
Detective Wayne wrote:
I bet this is V's case. It is sad what PC this officer will use to obtain a warrant. He is more concerned about how fast he can solve the case even if innocent lives are messed up while doing it.
who is detective V?
informant

Newark, NJ

#9 Apr 8, 2012
Courtney Holmes did not receive a fair trial. Judge David Pugh & the prosecutors (Tenika Flyth & Brian Smalls) demonstrated a special interest for the prosecution side; evidenced by Pugh answering questions for the prosecutions witness (Morris Brown) and further constantly interrupting the defense attorney only when he was questioning Morris Brown. The defense attorney was not interrupted by the judge when cross examining anyone else. Flyth was further observed by serveral NN Gang Task force officers & Sheriff officers walking up in down the hall way(after removing her high heels and replacing them with black flat rubber shoes) with the victims son on her chest, patting his back and singing a song to him. She was further observed allowing the victims mother to use her "purple cell phone" inside of the court house. Brian Smalls was further observed allowing one of the victims family member to use his cell phone while inside the courtroom during a recess. " their actions were not only unethical but also a breach in security". The parties involved need to be held accountable.
Sgt NNPD

Newport News, VA

#10 Apr 10, 2012
concern reader wrote:
<quoted text> who is detective V?
An incompetent detective on the department who is the laughing stock of our department and should be fired.
Jurors perspective

Newport News, VA

#11 Apr 13, 2012
I firmly believe the wrong person has been charged with this crime. The commonwealth had a weak case and all the other jurors felt the same way. They should be looking for the person who did the shooting instead of convicting the wromg person.
Stupid

Newport News, VA

#12 Apr 13, 2012
Jurors perspective wrote:
I firmly believe the wrong person has been charged with this crime. The commonwealth had a weak case and all the other jurors felt the same way. They should be looking for the person who did the shooting instead of convicting the wromg person.
Get real. If all the jurors felt that way, he would not still be in jail.
Concerned Resident

Hampton, VA

#15 Sep 16, 2012
How come every time a young black male gets convicted of a serious crime, the local black community instead of demanding justice automatically takes it as a racial injustice and turns the accused into some martyr! THIS IS COMING FROM A BLACK MAN! Don't give me none of this "I don't know what it's like, or I don't know him or where he's from". I'M FROM THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD!!! I believe in due process and the right to a fair trial, but come on people seriously. Do you think the witness in this case would put his own life at risk by testifying if he wasn't 100 percent sure Mr.Holmes was the killer? If you come from the same neighborhood as us, you would know that it's a "death sentence" to testify. But no, because his Mom that you know, or Aunt, or Cousin you used to know from work or from around the neighborhood is good people, automatically you choose to believe "There is no way Mr.Holmes could've done this, his family are good people". Ask your self, Do you know Mr.Holmes well enough to know he has a very dark side? Do you know that he's robbed countless people and even bragged of the killing, all while on the run from the police? Do you know that he ran with one of the most ruthless, low-life gangs in the area? Obviously you don't, but I know this for a FACT. This isn't some saint we are talking about. And while yes, past affiliations should never be enough to convict a person, we should never disregard the presentable facts. The witness in this case was courageous enough to step forward and for what? Instead of commending him, his credibility is attacked and he's made out to be the criminal. Lets not even begin to think what he will face in the streets if he hasn't already relocated out of fear. I know growing up in neighborhoods like Aqueduct can be rough, but it will never change unless we as people change our loyalties and perceptions. By protecting Mr.Holmes, you are doing nothing but protecting the devil's work. You want to make a difference and stop being oppressed? Stop oppressing our neighborhoods with this turn-cheek mentality towards criminals, and start holding them accountable. You know why these neighborhoods never get better? Because criminals know it's a safe haven for them, as long as they have people like you that will essentially cover all the tracks for them and look the other way. We as Black people have to want better not only from the community and the members of it, but from ourselves as well. Mark my words, God is an a vengeful God! For those of you who protect the wicked may not have to answer to God in this lifetime, but you will in the next. As to you Mr.Holmes if you ever read this. There is a God! Look around at the sky, the water, and the trees and ask your self who else could be responsible for all in this life but a powerful God. Always remember, it's never too late to seek forgiveness.

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

#16 Sep 17, 2012
Concerned Resident wrote:
How come every time a young black male gets convicted of a serious crime, the local black community instead of demanding justice automatically takes it as a racial injustice and turns the accused into some martyr! THIS IS COMING FROM A BLACK MAN! Don't give me none of this "I don't know what it's like, or I don't know him or where he's from". I'M FROM THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD!!! I believe in due process and the right to a fair trial, but come on people seriously. Do you think the witness in this case would put his own life at risk by testifying if he wasn't 100 percent sure Mr.Holmes was the killer? If you come from the same neighborhood as us, you would know that it's a "death sentence" to testify. But no, because his Mom that you know, or Aunt, or Cousin you used to know from work or from around the neighborhood is good people, automatically you choose to believe "There is no way Mr.Holmes could've done this, his family are good people". Ask your self, Do you know Mr.Holmes well enough to know he has a very dark side? Do you know that he's robbed countless people and even bragged of the killing, all while on the run from the police? Do you know that he ran with one of the most ruthless, low-life gangs in the area? Obviously you don't, but I know this for a FACT. This isn't some saint we are talking about. And while yes, past affiliations should never be enough to convict a person, we should never disregard the presentable facts. The witness in this case was courageous enough to step forward and for what? Instead of commending him, his credibility is attacked and he's made out to be the criminal. Lets not even begin to think what he will face in the streets if he hasn't already relocated out of fear. I know growing up in neighborhoods like Aqueduct can be rough, but it will never change unless we as people change our loyalties and perceptions. By protecting Mr.Holmes, you are doing nothing but protecting the devil's work. You want to make a difference and stop being oppressed? Stop oppressing our neighborhoods with this turn-cheek mentality towards criminals, and start holding them accountable. You know why these neighborhoods never get better? Because criminals know it's a safe haven for them, as long as they have people like you that will essentially cover all the tracks for them and look the other way. We as Black people have to want better not only from the community and the members of it, but from ourselves as well. Mark my words, God is an a vengeful God! For those of you who protect the wicked may not have to answer to God in this lifetime, but you will in the next. As to you Mr.Holmes if you ever read this. There is a God! Look around at the sky, the water, and the trees and ask your self who else could be responsible for all in this life but a powerful God. Always remember, it's never too late to seek forgiveness.
well said

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min VetnorsGate 1,582,627
News Hampton NAACP calls for school name change 21 hr Ranger 2
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Sun Agents of Corruption 63,946
News Lawsuit accuses Advance Auto Parts of racial di... (Sep '08) Aug 19 USS LIBERTY 55
I remember in Newport News (Dec '07) Aug 17 Newport News girl 2,381
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) Aug 14 Me-n-yo-mama 870
Increased taxes on Tobacco in Virginia & NC (Mar '09) Aug 14 martin garey 17

Newport News Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newport News Mortgages