Antique tags

There are 26 comments on the Hampton Roads Daily Press story from May 8, 2007, titled Antique tags. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

Q: What are the requirements and limitations for antique license tags in Virginia? A: Any car that is 25 years old as of January 1 of the current calendar year is considered an antique by the Virginia ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bob

Atlanta, GA

#1 May 8, 2007
got news for ya. I've seen these plates going back and forth to work daily for years. Someone needs to close that loophole.
B Evans

Newport News, VA

#2 May 8, 2007
Read the rule, Bob. Limited to no more than 250 miles per trip. I seldom drive near that much to work. Stay in Georgia.
Bronco Mike

Virginia Beach, VA

#3 Jul 28, 2008
Got something for ya, Georgia Boy. I live in Virginia Beach, "Give it up for VA!" I have and drive 4 trucks to and from work. Every one of em' has "antique tags". Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!...p.s. listen to the guy above me, Keep your whiny a$$ in Georgia!!!!

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#5 Jul 28, 2008
According to the VA DMV, you are not supposed to use antique plates on vehicles that are used for daily routine use. Here is what the VA DMV says about antique plates ( http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/ve... ):

"If you plan to use your antique vehicle or trailer solely as a collector's item, you may register your vehicle with antique license plates or permanent vintage license plates.

Registering your vehicle either of these ways limits your use of the vehicle to:

1. Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.

2. Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.

3. Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.

You may not, however, use your vehicle for general, daily transportation. This includes, but is not limited to, driving to and from work."
Keeping it real

Virginia Beach, VA

#6 Jul 28, 2008
I see this all the time. Rust buckets in several colors of paint coming and going. Many of these are daily drivers to the local naval shipyard. Change is coming. VDOT is eventually going to resolve this by taxing these vehicles at the appraised value based on true antique high quality automobiles ($$$). We'll see how many keep running those tags illegally to save a few dollars per year when the property taxes escalate exponentially.

“low tolerance for stupid”

Since: Apr 08

Hampton VA

#7 Jul 28, 2008
Virginia has already closed the loophole to a piont. Antique vehicles did not have to be inspected. That's why you saw the rust buckets driving all over town. No inspection, no registration fee,no decal fee, and cheap insurance.
Now you have to send an inspection form to DMV that you have inspected the vehicle and it is up to the state standard of the year it was manufactured and the form must be notarized. I know a lot of guys with street rod that were not street legal that turned in their plates because of this.
Clarice Starling

United States

#9 Jul 28, 2008
White Trailer Trash wrote:
I got tired of renewing the tags on my pickup, so I just made a set of "farm use" tags out of cardboard. They've worked just fine for a couple years now.
Just like the little gray Honda Civic I saw with 10 mexicans driving in York Co toward the NN line. On the cardboard they wrote "Lost Plate" #1234 and put "NC" in the corner. I couldnt stop laughing.
VA Conservative

United States

#10 Jul 28, 2008
Bob wrote:
got news for ya. I've seen these plates going back and forth to work daily for years. Someone needs to close that loophole.
Webster's definition of "loophole" = a means of escape; especially : an ambiguity or omission in the text through which the intent of a statute, contract, or obligation may be evaded.

A more practical, legal term definition might be described as:= Whatever preceived transgression as identified by the plaintiff, that is admissable under current law. Normally advanced as a political agenda by those opposed to personal freedoms.

Bob, can you tell us the history and intent behind why we have such things as vehicle registrations, inspections, and mandated driver's liceneses?
Armed Citizen

Montgomery, AL

#12 Jul 28, 2008
Just get the car inspected. Drive where you want. Register it with black plates.
Armed Citizen

Montgomery, AL

#13 Jul 28, 2008
Don't let Officer Mercer catch you with black plates driving to work!!!!!
AS
Clarice Starling

United States

#14 Jul 28, 2008
Armed Citizen wrote:
Don't let Officer Mercer catch you with black plates driving to work!!!!!
AS
He's a cool dude. I like him. He used to work in NN years ago.
Whats the difference between the orange and black tags? Antique vs classic?

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#15 Jul 29, 2008
Clarice Starling wrote:
<quoted text> He's a cool dude. I like him. He used to work in NN years ago.
Whats the difference between the orange and black tags? Antique vs classic?
No difference as far as what they allow you to do. Just a different look.
Clarice Starling

United States

#16 Jul 29, 2008
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
No difference as far as what they allow you to do. Just a different look.
It used to be that you didnt have to get the vehicle inspected but it came with other restrictions ie: can only go under 400 miles a year and it is to be used for shows and parades. Thanks for the info on the yellow vs black tag. I had no clue.

“McCain out of touch!”

Since: Jul 08

CHESAPEAKE

#17 Jul 29, 2008
Hampton Handyman wrote:
Virginia has already closed the loophole to a piont. Antique vehicles did not have to be inspected. That's why you saw the rust buckets driving all over town. No inspection, no registration fee,no decal fee, and cheap insurance.
Now you have to send an inspection form to DMV that you have inspected the vehicle and it is up to the state standard of the year it was manufactured and the form must be notarized. I know a lot of guys with street rod that were not street legal that turned in their plates because of this.
I drive a 1980 Cadillac and it doesn't look bad and still gets me to and from work. I don't put antique plates on mine.

“low tolerance for stupid”

Since: Apr 08

Hampton VA

#18 Jul 29, 2008
rwestphd wrote:
<quoted text>
I drive a 1980 Cadillac and it doesn't look bad and still gets me to and from work. I don't put antique plates on mine.
Which is admirable. But a lot of people got antique plates to avoid having to get inspections and pay registration fees. Without inspections they let the car go until it could be dangerous or modified it so they could drive a dragster down the street.
lgjhhg

Virginia Beach, VA

#19 May 7, 2010
Keeping it real wrote:
I see this all the time. Rust buckets in several colors of paint coming and going. Many of these are daily drivers to the local naval shipyard. Change is coming. VDOT is eventually going to resolve this by taxing these vehicles at the appraised value based on true antique high quality automobiles ($$$). We'll see how many keep running those tags illegally to save a few dollars per year when the property taxes escalate exponentially.
dude shut up!!!! stop hating! sorry if the economy is bad and people are trying anything to save a couple bucks!!! back off and worry about yourself
83fan

Martinsville, VA

#20 May 8, 2010
Bob wrote:
The law says they can be driven to and from work but NOT everyday, and can be driven up to 250 miles from home for pleasure only. Are not supposed to be used to haul trash to a landfill either or any other hauling.
Disraeli

Moyock, NC

#21 Jun 15, 2010
Bronco Mike wrote:
Got something for ya, Georgia Boy. I live in Virginia Beach, "Give it up for VA!" I have and drive 4 trucks to and from work. Every one of em' has "antique tags". Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!...p.s. listen to the guy above me, Keep your whiny a$$ in Georgia!!!!
And it will be thanks to people like you who abuse the system that this privilige gets revoked. Ruining it for everyone else.

Way to go Bronco!
Joe

Richmond, VA

#22 Jun 19, 2010
I have an antique vehicle with antique plates and I follow the DMV guidelines but the other day I was on interstate 95 in my work truck and a guy passes me in an antique pickup truck with the antique plates with ladders on the ladder rack and a sign on the doors saying cable contractor I chuckled to myself and thought now people like this idiot are the ones trying to beat the system and make it bad for everyone who owns antique plates...Thanks Mr cable guy
neighbor

Waterloo, Canada

#23 Jun 25, 2010
Look, people that look for loop holes are always gonna be out there. I've got a old 72 ford that I drive and have been for a few years, it has regular tags, gets a inspection every year. I don't see the need in using antique plates when it is a rust bucket, but very dependable and reliable!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min Into The Night 59,557
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr Nuculur option 1,384,495
Jessica Davis Grafton Station Apartments May 29 Tommy 1
Dare Elementary School 1995-1998 Grafton Statio... May 29 Tommy 1
News Facebook Feedback for Saturday, Oct. 22 from Da... (Oct '11) May 28 martin garey 18
News Suspect Had Quit Rehab (Mar '08) May 24 Ken Burke 135
News Toddler drowns in Fort Eustis sand pool (Jul '07) May 21 Walter 100
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newport News Mortgages