Habitat for Humanity builds home in NN

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

Habitat for Humanity has partnered with Wal-Mart regional stores and Pepsi Bottling Group to build a home for a Newport News family.
Comments
1 - 20 of 47 Comments Last updated Feb 18, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
janittia

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

I THINK THAT THE HABITAT FOR HUMANITY IS TRULLY A BLESSING TO MANY FAMILIES. GOD
BLESS YOU
VA Man

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2007

In light of all the violence going on in Southeast Newport News why doesn't humanity built homes in other areas of Newport News. Just how much of a blessing is it to put a family in the middle of all that violence and gun play downtown
Jim

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2007

The blessing would be for these welfare bums to get off their lazy asses and work,save the money and buy a house,like so many of us have! By the way ,since these deserving dirbags cant afford a home on their own,who maintains it?
HFH Supporter

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

Jim wrote:
The blessing would be for these welfare bums to get off their lazy asses and work,save the money and buy a house,like so many of us have! By the way ,since these deserving dirbags cant afford a home on their own,who maintains it?
Jim,
Perhaps you should read up on your facts before voicing such an ignorant opinion about families who deserve to own a home as much as the next person. These homeowners have credit that is probably better than your own (it's REQUIRED to have $0 collections and a low debt/income ratio). Habitat for Humanity homes are not given away; they are SOLD at cost with zero interest to low-income families who cannot afford the $150k and up houses on the market.
So, Jim, these families have in fact "gotten off their lazy asses, saved money and purchased a house" just like the rest of us.
Watermans Wife 2

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

Well, "HFH Supporter", in light of your comments..it makes sense! I try to keep my comments to myself if I am not aware of all of the facts. However, if what VA Man says is true..why wouldn't these homes be available in a more family-friendly enviroment?
WhiteHomeOwner

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

HFH Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim,
Perhaps you should read up on your facts before voicing such an ignorant opinion about families who deserve to own a home as much as the next person. These homeowners have credit that is probably better than your own (it's REQUIRED to have $0 collections and a low debt/income ratio). Habitat for Humanity homes are not given away; they are SOLD at cost with zero interest to low-income families who cannot afford the $150k and up houses on the market.
So, Jim, these families have in fact "gotten off their lazy asses, saved money and purchased a house" just like the rest of us.
Just like the rest of us: Not hardly, we had to struggle to buy a house because we made to much money. lol No one offered to sell us a NEW house at cost with zero interest. Instead I had to settle for a house that needs a lot of work. Or is it because I'm not black? This is the problem with being a white person just getting by.
HFH Supporter

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

Watermans Wife 2 wrote:
Well, "HFH Supporter", in light of your comments..it makes sense! I try to keep my comments to myself if I am not aware of all of the facts. However, if what VA Man says is true..why wouldn't these homes be available in a more family-friendly enviroment?
Well that's a different topic entirely. Habitat for Humanity, at least the local affiliate, has built most of its houses on donated lots. As you know, land is not being created and its become more and more expensive. HFH has depended on that donated land to offset costs of construction, because including the cost of land in the purchase price would mean the homeowner is no longer able to afford the house. The situation HFH has been presented with is most of the donated land has been in neighborhoods that are need of being rebuilt ie., the Southeast Community. The city donates land to HFH to help them rebuild the area.

HFH realizes the area has crime problems and has provided extra security in some instances. Habitat has a relationship with the area's police department to prevent crime to the houses while under construction and somewhat after construction as well. Running away from the community because of a few bad folk only makes matters worse. Many of Habitat's applicants live in or grew up in the Southeast community and appreciate (as much as the community at large) Habitat's effort of rebuilding, one house at a time.

These are tax-paying citizens who take an interest in their community. We need as many people in that area as possible to turn it around.
HFH Supporter

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

WhiteHomeOwner wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like the rest of us: Not hardly, we had to struggle to buy a house because we made to much money. lol No one offered to sell us a NEW house at cost with zero interest. Instead I had to settle for a house that needs a lot of work. Or is it because I'm not black? This is the problem with being a white person just getting by.
Habitat for Humanity applicants make 30-50% of the area median income. Last I checked, that'd be like $20k a year for a family of 2. If that's not a struggle to live off of, I don't know what is. It sounds like you're upset that you made too much money for a Habitat house when in fact you made enough to purchase a house that would be a lot larger than Habitat sells. Habitat isn't selling mansions. It sells 1200 sq ft, 3 bedroom houses.

Race has nothing to do with this. Applicants are from the entire Peninsula and are of all races.

Noone told you to "settle." You purchased a house that needed a lot of work. You could've waited until you were financially able to purchase a better house.
HFH Supporter

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

WhiteHomeOwner wrote:
<quoted text>
And as was stated previously, these homeowners were not "offered" a house. They applied and were qualified based on excellent credit (a feat in itself), savings and a need for better housing. Just because they don't make as much a year as you does not mean they do not deserve to own a home. New or not.
HFH Supporter

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

WhiteHomeOwner wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not a race issue. Habitat for Humanity applicants make 30-50% of the area median income, maintain excellent credit (a feat in itself) and are in NEED of better housing. These houses are not mansions. They are 1200 sq ft, 3 bedrooms. And HFH homeowners come from all over the Peninsula, which includes all races.

The houses are not "offered" to homeowners. They apply and qualify for the mortgage based on the qualifications mentioned above.

Low-income families deserve to own a new home just as much as middle to high-income families.

Since: Oct 07

Henrico County (Richmond)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

All, I apologize for the duplicate post. My other posts had disappeared and have now reappeared, but after I reposted.
doglvr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

HFH Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not a race issue. Habitat for Humanity applicants make 30-50% of the area median income, maintain excellent credit (a feat in itself) and are in NEED of better housing. These houses are not mansions. They are 1200 sq ft, 3 bedrooms. And HFH homeowners come from all over the Peninsula, which includes all races.
The houses are not "offered" to homeowners. They apply and qualify for the mortgage based on the qualifications mentioned above.
Low-income families deserve to own a new home just as much as middle to high-income families.
thanks for setting the record straight. I personally don't know why people have a problem with someone getting an affordable home when they would not otherwise be able to get one. Our church once built a habitat home for a white family. It might also be helpful to mention to the negative posters that the family getting the home is required to put in a certain # of hours on the building of the home.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

Thanks doglvr for that!

In addition to a down payment and the monthly mortgage payments, homeowners invest hundreds of hours of their own labor sweat equity into building their Habitat house and the houses of others. Local HFH homeowners are required to work 400 hours.
White Home Owner

Suffolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

HFH Supporter

Thanks for setting the record straight. Yes I do not qualify for any programs and would love to BUT non the less I could buy my own home and I am very lucky for that. I understand the need for this program and actually support it. I was really just picking which was not fair. Thank you for supporting this project and may Habitat for Humanity be blessed in the future with financial as well as manpower support. May all people that WORK to own their own house be able to do so.

PS I added the racist remark mainly to see what reaction I would get, I also choose the posting name for the same reason. Sorry if I affended you.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

White Home Owner wrote:
HFH Supporter
Thanks for setting the record straight. Yes I do not qualify for any programs and would love to BUT non the less I could buy my own home and I am very lucky for that. I understand the need for this program and actually support it. I was really just picking which was not fair. Thank you for supporting this project and may Habitat for Humanity be blessed in the future with financial as well as manpower support. May all people that WORK to own their own house be able to do so.
PS I added the racist remark mainly to see what reaction I would get, I also choose the posting name for the same reason. Sorry if I affended you.
White Home Owner,

Thank you for explaining your remarks. It was a true test for me! I'm so loyal to this wonderful organization that I almost said a few things that wouldn't have necessarily reflected the Christian-based mission of Habitat :).

I do apologize as well if I offended you though.

I'm in the same boat you're in as far as making too much for Habitat but not quite enough to purchase what I REALLY want! A lot of us are.

And I guess I just get frustrated because there are people out there who really honestly do feel the way you seemed to feel. We've gotten all kinds of phone calls about it.

HFH appreciates and relies on community support, so THANK YOU!
Peace

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2007

I agree and disagree with HFH. Because yes it's a blessing to help those who need or want a home get a home, but why is it they are always building them into bad neighborhoods. Such as Lincoln Park, Downtown Newport News, Ivy street, etc.. They build homes where you have to be afraid to walk out your front door or you might get hurt, places you can't allow your children to play without fearing something is going to happen to them. Why can't these homes be built in Poquoson, Yorktown, the good part of Hampton. Or is that we are just "settling"?
Watermans Wife 2

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

Well, Peace, I saw the answers to your questions in an earlier post. The city donates the property! That says it all. Why would the city donate property of a higher value (they might have to miss that extra dessert or they may end up not having enough $ to bribe the right people to assist in their own personal agendas). The areas you listed are great suggestions, but these places pride themselves on high-income families. I was going to suggest that people need to become more involved in speaking out to their city councils in reference to making property available in "better" parts of the neighborhood. But, tell the truth, if we (the general public) got wind that "low-income" was going to be introduced in our neighborhoods, indefinatly, how well would that be accepted? That is why people who can afford it move to York and Poquoson...to live in their own "safe-havens"- which is a farce, really, but that is a whole other topic.

"White Home Owner", I understand your frustration on this subject. Our credit is excellent and we work very hard for what we have. However, rather than work two jobs each (just to work for a mortgage) we choose to live for our children and keep time open to spend with them that we would never get back. Unfortunatly, in this day and age, if one doesn't have a college education or if he/she got a "boost" without too much personal investment, the odds are against you. I realize that my statements do not apply to everyone, but I see it all the time...people get ahead at the expense of others (again, another topic).

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

Peace wrote:
I agree and disagree with HFH. Because yes it's a blessing to help those who need or want a home get a home, but why is it they are always building them into bad neighborhoods. Such as Lincoln Park, Downtown Newport News, Ivy street, etc.. They build homes where you have to be afraid to walk out your front door or you might get hurt, places you can't allow your children to play without fearing something is going to happen to them. Why can't these homes be built in Poquoson, Yorktown, the good part of Hampton. Or is that we are just "settling"?
Watermans Wife 2 answered your question for me, but I'd also like to add that HFH does in fact build in Yorktown and Hampton. HFH builds in JCC, Newport News, Williamsburg, York County and Hampton. But, as Watermans Wife 2 noted from my earlier post, the cities (and some generous individuals) donate that land as well. So HFH builds in areas that are, again, in the process of rebuilding itself because - as Watermans Wife 2 suggested - who wants to give up valued property?

Also, to underscore that point, HFH also serves Poquoson but has yet to build there because of the cost of land in that area. So unless the county or some generous individual wants to help out, no affordable homes in Poquoson. Affordable to some of you maybe, but not to low-income families.

And, Watermans Wife 2, it's that whole "not in my backyard" attitude that has kept Habitat in the neighborhoods it has. Not that you're personally presenting it, but so many people agree with it.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

Since I'm obviously not the only Habitat for Humanity supporter on this thing, I'd like to share this:

Saturday, October 6, WalMart Distribution is having a yard sale to benefit Habitat! WalMart will be selling brand new items from its warehouse at yard sale prices (40%) with ALL proceeds (tax free) to benefit Habitat for Humanity.

Items will be everything from patio furniture to tvs to dvd players to tools. All brand new. It's cash only and "as is" just like a yard sale. Hours are 7-1pm. Located at the Newport News WalMart. In the parking lot between WalMart and Sams Club. There's also a car wash and food.

Hope you'll come out and enjoy some great deals while helping to make the dream of homeownership a reality for a deserving (hard-working, credit worthy, etc etc!) family.
Time for sum action

Lexington Park, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 2, 2007

HFH Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim,
Love your answer.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Newport News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min RoxLo 1,096,411
Why do blacks get everything free? (Dec '12) 8 hr Duh 66
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 17 hr truth-facts 46,239
james Arthur Segura Wed laughing out loud 43
What was Joe Folks catch phrase at the end of h... (Aug '10) Aug 19 NN kid 9
? Moving to Hampton, VA? (Aug '06) Aug 18 mollydog 262
Man, 44 charged with sex offenses on 12-year-ol... (Mar '09) Aug 15 left7 21

Search the Newport News Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Newport News Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••