King William Reservoir

There are 20 comments on the May 3, 2009, Hampton Roads Daily Press story titled King William Reservoir. In it, Hampton Roads Daily Press reports that:

The Army Corps of Engineers' decision to revoke a permit for the King William Reservoir is not good news.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hampton Roads Daily Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
H Potter

Ashburn, VA

#1 May 3, 2009
We must remember the mill at West Point is now in bankruptcy.
If bought, why couldn't the water now sucked from the aquifers, already being piped down to the mill, be piped down the river bed to JCC.
That would buy time!
Lee Sutton

Yorktown, VA

#2 May 3, 2009
Honestly, dude, it's painful to hear your cry for growth when that's exactly what's killed the Big Bethel and other reservoirs. "Talk about waste." Sierra and CBF got it right in preserving a wilderness ("nine times bigger" than the Mariners Museum) that you say could be improved by clearing, damming, and flooding. When you learn, and demonstrate, that growth creates more good than harm then you deserve an expanded readership.
New Perspective

Newport News, VA

#3 May 3, 2009
Well done, Digby! You've run up the true colors of the Daily Press at last!

You also omitted a few facts. The population is delcining, as is the demand for water. The Waterworks has petitioned for a rate increase because sales are down!

As for the "ridiculous" treaty? Why not ignore it. We've only been doing that for 400+ years anyway.
Waterworks

United States

#4 May 3, 2009
H Potter wrote:
We must remember the mill at West Point is now in bankruptcy.
If bought, why couldn't the water now sucked from the aquifers, already being piped down to the mill, be piped down the river bed to JCC.
That would buy time!
Your assessment of the paper mill in West Point is inaccurate. The mill is operating just as it has for years.

According to studies over the years the amount of water taken from the aquifers has depleted the levels and caused the land for miles around to sink. For you to suggest using aquifers for a water supply for uncontrolled growth and greed in NN just shows how ignorant some are.
Waterworks

United States

#5 May 3, 2009
New Perspective wrote:
Well done, Digby! You've run up the true colors of the Daily Press at last!
You also omitted a few facts. The population is delcining, as is the demand for water. The Waterworks has petitioned for a rate increase because sales are down!
As for the "ridiculous" treaty? Why not ignore it. We've only been doing that for 400+ years anyway.
Maybe if the price of water truely reflected its value then people and cities would conserve its use instead of using a water supply to fuel more and more uncontolled growth driven by greed.

Yes the indians have been given the shaft for 400+ years. It's good they win this once.
H Potter

Ashburn, VA

#6 May 3, 2009
Oh! By the way the 1677 Articles clearly provided the signers became Englishmen. This allowed them to move within the boundaries set by the 1646 Treaty. And, they were titled their lands by patent exactly as if they were Englishmen. Otherwise they could have been legally shot on sight. That 1646 Treaty remained in force until the 1705 Act.
Cincinnatus

Williamsburg, VA

#7 May 3, 2009
Most residents in James City would like to see slower growth. The great migration from the Peoples Democratic Republics of New York and New Jersey seem to have slowed to a trickle. Maybe this development will keep a lid on it.
50 Million dollars wasted

Virginia Beach, VA

#8 May 3, 2009
The problem is greedy and self-serving politicians in Newport News. Our mayor, remembered for his transportation authority chairmanship Joe needs to go.
Getting this clown out of the woodwork is alot like trying to keep 'possums out of the garbage. He's spread millions of our money arouhnd to his cronies. This is alot of pigs swilling at the public trough. These piggies have gotten rich on business as usual and they will do whatever is necessary to swill. They won't play by the rules. This next election it will be politics as nasty as it gets...
chuck

AOL

#9 May 3, 2009
Wll, I think we have pleny of water, does anyone know how to conserve precious resources? Is for stifling growth in JCC, good, the traffic on I-64 is already a mess.
HAL

Yorktown, VA

#10 May 3, 2009
Thank you Daily Press. You said today what I've been telling neighbors and friends for years. Let's also remember that water utilities are required to have an designated supply of water. Newport News Waterworks reached the limit, as designated by the Virginia Health Dept, years ago. They HAD to find a new supply of water so said the State. The Commonwealth of Virginia does not allow a large utility like ours to pump groundwater so a reservoir was the best choice. And the location in King William County was a perfect location - no homes or businesses had to be relocated - and, contrary to the lies of the radical extremist environmentalists, the reservoir site was a good 2 to 3 miles from the nearest Indian reservation. Citizens of the Peninsula, we didn't lose this project, we let the extremists win. We should have voiced our support louder than they did. I for one will not let these environmentalists run my life in the future. I have lost all respect for the Sierra Club and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.
paul

Norfolk, VA

#11 May 3, 2009
Put birth control pills in the water. That will stop growth. limit free movement in the country and counties of America. That will stop growth. Let the infrastructure go, that will stop growth in the region. Allow us to become a tangled mess in traffic, overcrowded schools, low paying jobs and unaffordable housing. That will stop growth. Remember, build it, they will come! Stop the advances in medicine, people won't live as long, that will stop growth. Don't allow the poor to have children, that will stop growth. Just some more idiotic ideas for some of you to digest.

Since: Jul 08

Poquoson, VA

#12 May 3, 2009
HAL wrote:
Thank you Daily Press. You said today what I've been telling neighbors and friends for years. Let's also remember that water utilities are required to have an designated supply of water. Newport News Waterworks reached the limit, as designated by the Virginia Health Dept, years ago. They HAD to find a new supply of water so said the State. The Commonwealth of Virginia does not allow a large utility like ours to pump groundwater so a reservoir was the best choice. And the location in King William County was a perfect location - no homes or businesses had to be relocated - and, contrary to the lies of the radical extremist environmentalists, the reservoir site was a good 2 to 3 miles from the nearest Indian reservation. Citizens of the Peninsula, we didn't lose this project, we let the extremists win. We should have voiced our support louder than they did. I for one will not let these environmentalists run my life in the future. I have lost all respect for the Sierra Club and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.
Amen. My thoughts exactly.
do not need it

Norfolk, VA

#13 May 3, 2009
There is plenty of water available right here. All we have to do is pump all of the runoff from every neighborhood retention pond on the Peninsula and James City County. Then we have to store it until we need it. Where in Newport News is there a big piece of land that has nothing worthwhile on it? How about the area on Warwick between Mercury Blvd. and the shipyard. Nothing there worth keeping. We will bulldoze the remaining buildings and dig a big hole and that can be our new reservoir.

It is a win win situation. We stop the runoff of polluted water into our rivers and turn a desolate area into a nice new fishing hole.
Estimated Prophet

AOL

#14 May 3, 2009
Hal and Poq Mom, you're completely wrong on so many levels.

First of all, majority of the people in general, from the Peninsula to the rest of Virginia as a whole are very much against this project and nearly anyone who gets the facts is too. To blame the environmentalists for the flaws of this illegal project is ridiculous. There are thousands of people who aren't environmentalists at all who are completely against this project and have fought it tooth and nail from the beginning. There are many thousands of conservatives and property rights advocates who detest this project and everything it stands for.

The people of the Peninsula owe a huge debt of gratitude to the diverse opponents of the project for saving them hundreds of millions for a project we do not needed for over fifty years, if ever.

The Virginia Health Department threshhold level for a utility to start seeking new water sources was only reached once, some time ago, and I believe it was an artificial spike in demand. NN waterworks are well below that threshold now, and falling. That is despite NN Waterworks not using other sources that could be available to them.

I am grateful to all the opponents, whether environmentalists or not for their opposition to this illegal project and I plan to donate as much as I can to them to show it. I encourage other people to do the same.

Lets see, who do I trust to protect water quality and quality of life on the Peninsula. Your Big Business Overdevelopment Pollution Club friends or the largely volunteer Chesapeake Bay Foundation? EASY ANSWER!!
A Newport News Resident

Newport News, VA

#15 May 3, 2009
Maybe the reservoir was just a bad idea and some people failed to realize it. Because of the delays, there was actually time to check the population projections and water demand only to find that that what actually happened did NOT match the projections. As it stands, Newport News spent WAY too much money on this and should have quit years ago.
A Newport News Resident

Newport News, VA

#16 May 3, 2009
I'm thankful that large organizations like the Sierra Club got involved. There's NO way an average citizen could have stood a chance against "Big Government". There was just too much tax money being spent for any individual to really have a voice.
HAL

Yorktown, VA

#17 May 3, 2009
Estimated Prophet - there is a huge "silent majority" out there that never spoke up in support of this project AND let's all admit it, it's easier to be against something than to be for something. The radical extremist environmentalists were really good about raising suspicion based on lies and innuendo. They were good at stirring emotion with their prayer vigils. I really do feel sorry for the folks out there who cannot and will not trust ANYTHING government does and in doing so, alledge all kinds of lies. What a horrible way to go through life. As I said, we, the stable and clear-thinking people of the Peninsula should have spoken up and spoken loudly. Friends and neighbors, let's not let the scare-mongers run our lives.
Unsilent Majority

Virginia Beach, VA

#18 May 4, 2009
There are also alot of people who are sick of the business-as-usual, get-rich-quick croneyism.
HAL wrote:
Estimated Prophet - there is a huge "silent majority" out there that never spoke up in support of this project AND let's all admit it, it's easier to be against something than to be for something. The radical extremist environmentalists were really good about raising suspicion based on lies and innuendo. They were good at stirring emotion with their prayer vigils. I really do feel sorry for the folks out there who cannot and will not trust ANYTHING government does and in doing so, alledge all kinds of lies. What a horrible way to go through life. As I said, we, the stable and clear-thinking people of the Peninsula should have spoken up and spoken loudly. Friends and neighbors, let's not let the scare-mongers run our lives.
Cannot be trusted

Virginia Beach, VA

#19 May 4, 2009
How many lies must a politician tell before people don't trust them? How many taxpayer scams does it take? How many people must lose their property? How many times must taxes go up? How many times must we be screwed? How many times must we watch Council members get rich off of us?

How long must we tolerate Warwick Boulevard? How many shootings does it take in the East End? How many home invasions? How many 'pet projects' and developer's scams does it take for some people to wise up?

Fifty million dollars later and what do we have to show for the money?

Beside higher taxes....
HAL wrote:
Excellent post

Yorktown, VA

#20 May 4, 2009
Excellent post
Cannot be trusted wrote:
How many lies must a politician tell before people don't trust them? How many taxpayer scams does it take? How many people must lose their property? How many times must taxes go up? How many times must we be screwed? How many times must we watch Council members get rich off of us?
How long must we tolerate Warwick Boulevard? How many shootings does it take in the East End? How many home invasions? How many 'pet projects' and developer's scams does it take for some people to wise up?
Fifty million dollars later and what do we have to show for the money?
Beside higher taxes....
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 10 min New York 52,852
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min John Galt 1,220,123
Ntelos - Hampton Roads (Peninsula or Southside) 4 hr BreezWay95 1
News Kecoughtan High teacher resigns after drug charges (Nov '07) 6 hr Yogurt Nads 82
Pomoco Nissan in Hampton, don't ever go there!! Fri Wayne 6
I remember in Hampton (Jan '08) Apr 23 Wayne 796
Daily Press online article, Whites are minoriti... Apr 23 Wayne 1
More from around the web

Newport News People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]