cat

Hebron, KY

#43 Jun 22, 2011
It should be up to the city to take care of animal control when there are record number of strays running all over the city. Why should I spend my time and money to deal with other peoples animals. The city of Newport is the only one around us that doesn't have animal control. They say they have it under control with Code Enforcement and the police. If that was the case then we wouldn't be talking about it on here would we. Brian Steffen dodges anyone who wants a trap. He doesn't want to deal with the trapped animals anymore than the police want to investigate dogs that are running loose. It's not Code Enforcements job no more than it is the police's job to chase down a running dog. What is wrong with this city? Get animal control here so we don't have the issues that have been brought up. If you are lucky enough not to have that problem then you must be one of the few. Let us know what block you live on so we can drop off the trapped cats on your block. It may give you a feel for what everyone has to deal with. Before you rant I did take care of this problem myself a few years back. Trapping and taking off over 20 cats cought within 3 month in MY yard. Harbor Freight sells these traps too. You should go ahead and buy one because Newport has a truck bed full but says they don't any and you have to be put on a list. I say that's BS! When the city screws up it's not left up to the city to fix the issue. We as home owners have to flip the bill to get them back on their feet. They make bad investments then higher taxes, 4% this year and this is the 4th year it has went up. City stickers may be coming back. Higher priced parking meters and more of them are coming. Now they are too cheap to get animal control and home owners have to deal with all these dogs and cats running free. Then people on here think it should be our job to deal with it. They must work for the city too.
cats

Alexandria, KY

#44 Jun 22, 2011
wow newportres, why do u assume everyone in newport is nasty and have messy yards, if everyone in newport is so nasty and trash, why do you live here as well?
cats

Alexandria, KY

#45 Jun 22, 2011
i agree, couldnt of said it better, this problem has to go, city of newport needs to step it up..
Kyle

Latonia, KY

#46 Jun 22, 2011
newportres wrote:
<quoted text>
As the code enforcement officer in Newport I'm pretty sure that Brian has higher priorities than to hand out cat traps to people who don't take the time to clean up their own messes.
Again, why do you have to rely on the government to do what you should do yourself? You can pick up these traps at most hardware stores. I bought mine at Lowe's.
This is the problem. You want the city, the state, the Federal government to be your caretakers. That's not what they are there for. Take care of yourself.
I agree that Brian Steffen has better things to do than trap cats. It shouldn't be his responsibility -- it should be animal control.
However, when he accepts animal control responsibility for his department rather than advising the city manager that contracting with an animal control agency would be a better option, he (and the rest of the department) needs to step up to the plate on this issue instead of ignoring requests for traps in an effort to discourage them from calling again.

As for animal control being personal responsibility instead of municipal responsibility...why don't we hire personal security and personal doctors instead of relying on police agencies and fire/ems too? And for trash collection, let's all haul our garbage to the dump.
sick

Alexandria, KY

#47 Jun 22, 2011
these cats have to go, just today one laid on my porch looked dead, when i got closer, i could see puss coming from its eyes, and bald spots, like it ahs mange, this is sad, but i for one dont wanna deal with a dead cat in my yard..
nasty

Cincinnati, OH

#48 Jun 23, 2011
i tried to weed some flowers in my yard today and I just had to stop, it reeked of cat and there were several piles of feces in the flower bed, that is so nasty especially when I am not a cat owner.
newportres

Cincinnati, OH

#49 Jun 23, 2011
Kyle,
You jut don't get it. Police agencies and fire and ems are what local government agencies are for. Catching stray cats are not.
The government is responsible for infrastructure, utilities, and the protection of it's citizens. Cats, in general are not a threat to public safety. Stray dogs on the other hand may be a different issue. Everything else is above and beyond.
I just don't understand why you think the government has to be involved in something that should be taken care of by the property owner. I used the analogy of other pest such as roaches and bedbugs but apparently it went over the head of some of the other posters.
You seem to have some beef with Brian Steffen. I don't know why. Maybe you could explain.

Cats,
I don't think that everyone in Newport is nasty and trash. I live in the west side of Newport and most of my neighbors are great. My next door neighbor and I both have fairly large yards and we do not have a feral cat problem because we keep our yards clean and kept.

Trash,
I worked out in my garden for several hours after I got home from work. No problem.
Kyle

Latonia, KY

#50 Jun 23, 2011
newportres wrote:
Kyle,
You jut don't get it. Police agencies and fire and ems are what local government agencies are for. Catching stray cats are not.
The government is responsible for infrastructure, utilities, and the protection of it's citizens. Cats, in general are not a threat to public safety. Stray dogs on the other hand may be a different issue. Everything else is above and beyond.
I just don't understand why you think the government has to be involved in something that should be taken care of by the property owner. I used the analogy of other pest such as roaches and bedbugs but apparently it went over the head of some of the other posters.
You seem to have some beef with Brian Steffen. I don't know why. Maybe you could explain.
Cats,
I don't think that everyone in Newport is nasty and trash. I live in the west side of Newport and most of my neighbors are great. My next door neighbor and I both have fairly large yards and we do not have a feral cat problem because we keep our yards clean and kept.
Trash,
I worked out in my garden for several hours after I got home from work. No problem.
I think we're arguing two separate points. You're arguing that animal control ought not to be the business of local government -- I disagree, but what I've pointed out is the ineffectiveness of local government to deal with an issue that we're already paying taxes for. If you don't think Newport should have animal control, appeal to the city manager and board of commissioners to change it rather than blaming residents for problems they didn't create.
While lobbying the city against "use of taxpayer dollars for unnecessary departments", you may want to have them cut code enforcement and public works too, since they both go beyond public safety.

Your implication that having a "clean and kept" yard prevents cats form entering and causing problems is ridiculous. I'm guessing you have a fence that they can't get through? Not everybody has a fence.
newportres

United States

#51 Jun 24, 2011
Kyle,
You understand half of my argument. I'm saying stop running to the government whenever you have a problem. Take some responsibility and solve the problem yourself. Just because they don't create a problem doesn't mean they're not responsible for it. I don't create the weeds in my yard but I'm responsible to keep them down.

Code enforcement is a necessary department partly because it is responsible for public safety. Why do you think we have electrical codes, building codes, etc?

To the nest part, yes, having a clean and kept yard does stop most stray cats from hanging around. They have no motivation to be in the yard. There's no food in the garbage. There's no place to hide.
I do have 4 or 5 strays that I occasionally see in my yard, but it's far from the huge problem some of the posters have referred to.
Kyle

Latonia, KY

#52 Jun 24, 2011
newportres wrote:
Kyle,
You understand half of my argument. I'm saying stop running to the government whenever you have a problem. Take some responsibility and solve the problem yourself. Just because they don't create a problem doesn't mean they're not responsible for it. I don't create the weeds in my yard but I'm responsible to keep them down.
Code enforcement is a necessary department partly because it is responsible for public safety. Why do you think we have electrical codes, building codes, etc?
To the nest part, yes, having a clean and kept yard does stop most stray cats from hanging around. They have no motivation to be in the yard. There's no food in the garbage. There's no place to hide.
I do have 4 or 5 strays that I occasionally see in my yard, but it's far from the huge problem some of the posters have referred to.
Code enforcement also makes sure your grass is cut and you have a downspout...issues that aren't exactly public safety. Public works makes sure the baseball fields are ready to be played on and picks up trash in the parks.
The point of these entities is to improve the quality of life in the city, not simply public safety. When there isn't a governing body, some people will do whatever outlandish things they feel like -- often to your detriment.

The point I was trying to make in the earlier post(s) is that regardless of if you agree with it or not, code enforcement is currently responsible for animal control. That means a certain percentage of their time (of which your tax dollars are contributed) is to be spent taking care of the issues brought up on this thread. The problem is things have only gotten worse.

I also think you view the feral cat issue a little differently than I. I don't think you can ignore or deal passively with the issue. The only way it's going to get better is an educational campaign for those who allow their cats to roam freely, abandon them, or feed strays -- along with citations (which help to pay for animal control).

I don't know what your yard looks like or where exactly you live, but I have a porch on the front and back of my house so any time it rains, any time it snows, and any time the sun is beating down, cats will come on my porch for shelter. This has nothing to do with cleanliness. I also have some landscaped areas that have mulch in them...this mulch is routinely used as a litter box. Surely you don't think landscaping is some nasty problem that attracts cats?
newportres

Cincinnati, OH

#53 Jun 26, 2011
Kyle,
Basically what I'm saying is that this is not the huge problem that some of these posters are so passionate about. I'm saying, if you have a problem in your yard, take care of it.

I didn't say that public safety was local governments only responsibility. I said that feral or stray cats were not a public safety issue which puts them pretty low on the priority level.

I'll agree on you on one point, education. People need to learn for themselves that there are ways of dealing with these issues. There are nonprofit agencies that provide spaying and neutering services for strays and feral very at a very low cost. Over the last couple of years I've had a half dozen strays fixed and it takes very little effort.

If people would take responsibility for their own property, buy their own traps, and take advantage of some other non government resources then they can easily "fix" the so called problem in their own area.

That's all I'm saying. Take responsibility for your own property.
education

Lexington, KY

#54 Jun 26, 2011
did u know when u pay ucan and other low cost spaying programs you ahve to bring that stray to them and then back home,so how is that smart its not only the breeding but the cats urine and feces its nasty and stinks, and you can run your mouth all you wnat your lucky if your not having this issue, i keep my home and yard very clean, nothing is in my yard at all, and i deal with this crap, which newport needs to help with, 14 cats tonite on my porch, btw these cats are sick,, i found a deceased one and why should i ahve to deal with the removal of dead cats that i dont own.. nor want.... education hmmmm educated people would nor get these animals and then let them lose on the street to get diseased and die, and over breed, and have congutivitis of the eyes and upper res infections so bad they go blind and die.. this is wrong and ignorance is not bliss!!! so newportres why dont you come get some of these cats and take them home with you, if its not such a burden and its such a low level of being an issue.. come on take 1 take 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8,9,10,11, 20 take all of them, all you seem to be is an grouch who thinks your higher up then anyone else, yet you walk the smae streets as everyone else,,,, newport!!!
knows a little

Hamilton, OH

#55 Jun 27, 2011
newportres wrote:
Trash,
I also live on the west side, for many years. Several years ago my yard became infested with fleas due to the stray cats. I'm not sure if animal control was still in existance then but the city brought traps and removed over 30 cats in a one week period. I keep my yard clean, as well as my neighbors, so it can't all be blamed on having an unkempt yard. Sorry to disagree, but I do.
orly

Loveland, OH

#56 Jun 27, 2011
newportres wrote:
<quoted text>
As the code enforcement officer in Newport I'm pretty sure that Brian has higher priorities than to hand out cat traps to people who don't take the time to clean up their own messes.
Again, why do you have to rely on the government to do what you should do yourself? You can pick up these traps at most hardware stores. I bought mine at Lowe's.
This is the problem. You want the city, the state, the Federal government to be your caretakers. That's not what they are there for. Take care of yourself.
Then stop posting on this board and do your job ffs....
Newportres

United States

#57 Jun 27, 2011
What are you talking about? ffs?
Can you comprehend? I don't work for the government. I work for myself and I do quite nicely. I work about 60 hours a week, and I don't ask the government to do what I should be doing myself.
Seeing eye

Cincinnati, OH

#58 Jul 3, 2011
Saw a big fat racoon crossing Isabella Street the other morning, who is responsible for those kinds of animals? The squirrels are all over it looks like a squirrel highway if you look up on the electric wires. And the pigeons, they crap all over!
tendercrisp

United States

#59 Jul 4, 2011
newportres wrote:
<quoted text>As the code enforcement officer in Newport I'm pretty sure that Brian has higher priorities than to hand out cat traps to people who don't take the time to clean up their own messes.
Were trying to enjoy our 4th and have a grill out and the yard smells like shit and cats are all over wanting my food.
Newportres walk your ass up here and get a hotdog .!
newportres

Alexandria, KY

#60 Jul 4, 2011
tendercrisp your an idiot, if you dont want cats in your yard take some time from sitting on your welfare ass and go clean up your landlords yard, and try using some bleach and wash all your stinky rumpke cans out. all you people do is sit on your behinds, collecting from the goverment, and then you want to grip over a cat in your yard that you don't even own...
Kyle

Latonia, KY

#61 Jul 4, 2011
newportres wrote:
tendercrisp your an idiot, if you dont want cats in your yard take some time from sitting on your welfare ass and go clean up your landlords yard, and try using some bleach and wash all your stinky rumpke cans out. all you people do is sit on your behinds, collecting from the goverment, and then you want to grip over a cat in your yard that you don't even own...
newportres,
I've seen your comments on a few other threads and while I can relate to your disgust with wasted tax dollars (either by government mismanagement, welfare fraud, etc), I can't understand why you would assume that "tendercrisp" or anybody else is on (and abusing) public assistance just because they have a problem with cats in their yard.

In my case, I can tell you exactly why I have cat problems: There's a man on 8th & Liberty and a man on 7th & Isabella that give food and water to stray cats every day. When stray cats are fed and watered, they're going to do two things -- fight and make babies.
Babies are born and spread throughout the neighborhood as they fight over their "turf". The dozens of cats that come onto my property every day are not, nor were they ever, my cats. I've never once given them food or water and I've already hauled off about a dozen. I'm not on any type of assistance, nor have I ever been. My trash cans are clean and sealed. There's nothing particularly interesting in my yard for a cat besides the shelter my porches offer from sun, rain, and snow.

If you live on a block that isn't overrun with cats, consider yourself lucky. It has nothing at all to do with you earning a living or cleaning your yard.

If the city keeps ignoring resident requests to deal with the problem (as you hope they do), you'll soon find out what a pleasure it is to exit your door and be met with the foul stench of cat urine. Good luck.
lol

Alexandria, KY

#62 Jul 5, 2011
epic

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
number 1 reason not to put up decorations in sc... 17 hr Yorkie 4
Why are Newport School Threads Deleted (Dec '13) 18 hr Deal with it 58
Where is the parking money 18 hr Brenda G 29
Do Newport Schools need an Assistant Superinten... Thu Money Game 7
Big spending underway Wed Inda Noe 8
does anyone know a ruthie bole (Nov '12) Dec 17 Unknown 4
The "New" Newport Swingers Club (Jan '12) Dec 17 Fletcher Cox 118
Newport Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web