Newport, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

I know there's other topics up on this matter, but we can't have enough, now, can we? I just hope everyone who opposes this tax on this site goes to the polls. A handful of proponents are trying to usher this jail in over the wishes of most Jackson Countians (as proven in a previous tax attempt), hoping their group succeeds beneath the disguise of a special election. If you don't get out and vote, you won't have a right to complain later. Anyone see the article in the Democrat-Gazette today? Says the current jail is landlocked. I've heard the new jail will be built where the old National Guard Armory is. Won't that be landlocked, also? Oh, I've also heard that the street would be closed and enclosed with the Sheriff's Department and the new jail. If this can happen for a new jail, why can't it happen for expansion of the current jail? Sounds like Judge Jeffie may have twisting the facts just a little. The article also brings up some other interesting and suspicious points. It says Jackson County would go broke, but a little later, the story points out that voters in Newton and Baxter Counties recently voted down jail taxes. Those counties haven't gone broke. One of them ships prisoners to another county for $35 a day. If our county is budgeted $45 a day per prisoner, plus a percentage of other income, it looks like it would be a bargain to ship our bad boys to another county. Take away the meals, utility bills and the jailers, and we should start making a profit (as compared to 8.8 million). We don't need a new jail with a country club atmosphere and big screen TVs and fluffy mattresses for the inmates in the first place. I know a lot of elderly people of the county think the tax won't affect them, but when I explained to my Mom that everytime she bought something in Jackson County, she would be donating to the jail, she adamantly changed her mind and she would be going to the polls to vote 'No!' Join us, please!!!
I Certainly Vot No

Caraway, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Im taxed to the limits ! Will not vote for another tax on anyone ! Its time people to stop voting for tax increase . STOP VOTING FOR TAX INCREASE. Taxes are robbing the pockets of the Poor first., then the Middle Class " the very rich :WELL THEY CERTAINY DONT LIVE IN CONDTIONS AS WE DO . So dare them put burdens on us.
Please Vote No To JAIL TAX NO !

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

You will be taxed either way. You can vote yes for a new jail or the state will come in and force a tax on you to send inmates to other counties... It's either vote yes and keep our tax dollars in Jackson County or vote no and send our tax dollars to other counties. You would be stupid to vote no. Make sure you know what you're talking about before deciding and voicing your opinion. FYI I do NOT work at the sheriffs department or have anything to do with the county.
snotcher

Searcy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

I'm voting for the tax!!!! I make enough money!!!
Lesus Lee

Newport, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

guest wrote:
You will be taxed either way. You can vote yes for a new jail or the state will come in and force a tax on you to send inmates to other counties... It's either vote yes and keep our tax dollars in Jackson County or vote no and send our tax dollars to other counties. You would be stupid to vote no. Make sure you know what you're talking about before deciding and voicing your opinion. FYI I do NOT work at the sheriffs department or have anything to do with the county.
Are you a total idiot? The state will come in and tax us? I know what I am talking about, but apparently you are dreaming, have been fed some very misleading information, or doing some really good drugs, or all three. The state does not go around taxing individual county citizens just because they feel like it. That's what the vote is for, idiot!
amayorfromthepas t

Newport, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Lesus Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a total idiot? The state will come in and tax us? I know what I am talking about, but apparently you are dreaming, have been fed some very misleading information, or doing some really good drugs, or all three. The state does not go around taxing individual county citizens just because they feel like it. That's what the vote is for, idiot!
You are exactly right. The state does not select certin counties and tax them for certain reasons example: jails, etc.
Thats what elections are for. If inmtes are shipped to other counties, Jackson county will be charged a $$ amount for each inmate, for each day, in turn, will be taking money out of Jackson Co. Either way, its going to cost the people of Jackson Co. There is no voiding it.
amayorfromthepas t

Newport, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

snotcher wrote:
I'm voting for the tax!!!! I make enough money!!!
Then why don't you make a big donation and post your name?
snotcher

Searcy, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

amayorfromthepast wrote:
<quoted text>Then why don't you make a big donation and post your name?
Because I think everyone should pay there part too!!! And I don't feel like it!!! Deal with it and my vote :)
Think

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

Lesus Lee wrote:
I know there's other topics up on this matter, but we can't have enough, now, can we? I just hope everyone who opposes this tax on this site goes to the polls. A handful of proponents are trying to usher this jail in over the wishes of most Jackson Countians (as proven in a previous tax attempt), hoping their group succeeds beneath the disguise of a special election. If you don't get out and vote, you won't have a right to complain later. Anyone see the article in the Democrat-Gazette today? Says the current jail is landlocked. I've heard the new jail will be built where the old National Guard Armory is. Won't that be landlocked, also? Oh, I've also heard that the street would be closed and enclosed with the Sheriff's Department and the new jail. If this can happen for a new jail, why can't it happen for expansion of the current jail? Sounds like Judge Jeffie may have twisting the facts just a little. The article also brings up some other interesting and suspicious points. It says Jackson County would go broke, but a little later, the story points out that voters in Newton and Baxter Counties recently voted down jail taxes. Those counties haven't gone broke. One of them ships prisoners to another county for $35 a day. If our county is budgeted $45 a day per prisoner, plus a percentage of other income, it looks like it would be a bargain to ship our bad boys to another county. Take away the meals, utility bills and the jailers, and we should start making a profit (as compared to 8.8 million). We don't need a new jail with a country club atmosphere and big screen TVs and fluffy mattresses for the inmates in the first place. I know a lot of elderly people of the county think the tax won't affect them, but when I explained to my Mom that everytime she bought something in Jackson County, she would be donating to the jail, she adamantly changed her mind and she would be going to the polls to vote 'No!' Join us, please!!!
You really have no idea what your arguing against. You just see the word tax and freak out. If you had any knowledge of building construction and/or fire code and safety code enforcement, you'd know there's so much more involved. That jail is no longer safe nor has it been up to fire code In several years. The equipment is outdated and the employees aren't even safe in the event of an incident or natural disaster. Chill out and do something to help this county instead of complaining about what it takes to better it and them b!tchn cuz there ain't nothin here. 67 will take u in And out of here. If u don't like, hit the road.
Vote yes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

The county will be in huge financial trouble if this tax doesn't pass. This will effect everyone in the county if it doesn't. When you talk about other counties voting against a similar tax is like comparing apples and oranges. I bet those counties and the municipal law enforcement agencies in those counties would tell you it is costing a lot more than 35 to 45.00 a day for imates. In fact the transportation to other jails, medical and other problems that most imates have can get very expensive. No one likes more taxes buy this one is very important. plus this means police will be turning a lot of criminals out on the streets when no thee jail can hold them. So if you vote no to this tax you are voting for a even higher crime rate. This is our chance to offer a better deterrent to the criminals and make Jackson County a safer place for our families. VOTE YES!
Informed

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:

This is one of the lies they are telling. The state won't come in. The state can't force a tax without a vote. The only ones that can force a tax are the quorum court like they did on our property taxes mot too long ago when they voted to max it out.

Don't call people stupid when you have no idea how local taxation works.
Informed

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Vote yes wrote:
The county will be in huge financial trouble if this tax doesn't pass. This will effect everyone in the county if it doesn't. When you talk about other counties voting against a similar tax is like comparing apples and oranges. I bet those counties and the municipal law enforcement agencies in those counties would tell you it is costing a lot more than 35 to 45.00 a day for imates. In fact the transportation to other jails, medical and other problems that most imates have can get very expensive. No one likes more taxes buy this one is very important. plus this means police will be turning a lot of criminals out on the streets when no thee jail can hold them. So if you vote no to this tax you are voting for a even higher crime rate. This is our chance to offer a better deterrent to the criminals and make Jackson County a safer place for our families. VOTE YES!
I think the county is already in financial trouble. I am against the tax. They should cut back and fund JUST A JAIL and not new offices.
Think

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

Informed wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the county is already in financial trouble. I am against the tax. They should cut back and fund JUST A JAIL and not new offices.
Informed?...people, come on!! Do your research and use your heads! As a voter it's your duty to understand what you are voting for and you, informed, are neither of those. YES is the only way JACKSON County will prosper.
find out more info

Newport, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

i vote yes,for one, jackson county and the city would have to pay another city or county jail to house our prisoners.we would lose the money that stay here in jackson county.vote yes so jackson county can prosper.
coin flipper

Newport, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

I am opposed to the tax because (1) the Sheriff has not offered any other alternatives and there are several. Why? Because he wants a new jail he let the other one become run down and did not take care of it. There are strick rules about what you can do and cannot do with regard to prisoners: for example those awaiting trial can not be housed with those who have been sentenced and those committing misdemeanors cannot be house with felons, etc. Ditto for women in jail as well. There is no reason,'cept the prosecutors ineptness, that a person charged with murder is kept in the county jail for two (2) years awaiting trial -- hey, under our justice system aren't all due a speedy trial? Those charged with misdemeanors can be given an ankle bracelet and turned loose awaiting trial. That would cut out many prisoners and help alleviate the overcrowding conditions. The old Newport Hospital could be converted for addiction treatment and could house most of the sentenced misdemeanors. People need to think and get some knowledge on these issues before they vote tomorrow. The mailer was a scare tactic sent out by a committee that did not even identify themselves.
Lastly, today (February 11, 2013) I just heard that Medallion Foods, which was recently purchased by ConArgra is laying off all of their temporary workers, which could be as many as 260 people. You want a jail, divert the money going to pay for the economic development director and his staff and you'd have plenty. That would be the best alternative.
Vote NO and tell them to go back to the drawing board.
Lesus Lee

Newport, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Judged:

coin flipper wrote:
I am opposed to the tax because (1) the Sheriff has not offered any other alternatives and there are several. Why? Because he wants a new jail he let the other one become run down and did not take care of it. There are strick rules about what you can do and cannot do with regard to prisoners: for example those awaiting trial can not be housed with those who have been sentenced and those committing misdemeanors cannot be house with felons, etc. Ditto for women in jail as well. There is no reason,'cept the prosecutors ineptness, that a person charged with murder is kept in the county jail for two (2) years awaiting trial -- hey, under our justice system aren't all due a speedy trial? Those charged with misdemeanors can be given an ankle bracelet and turned loose awaiting trial. That would cut out many prisoners and help alleviate the overcrowding conditions. The old Newport Hospital could be converted for addiction treatment and could house most of the sentenced misdemeanors. People need to think and get some knowledge on these issues before they vote tomorrow. The mailer was a scare tactic sent out by a committee that did not even identify themselves.
Lastly, today (February 11, 2013) I just heard that Medallion Foods, which was recently purchased by ConArgra is laying off all of their temporary workers, which could be as many as 260 people. You want a jail, divert the money going to pay for the economic development director and his staff and you'd have plenty. That would be the best alternative.
Vote NO and tell them to go back to the drawing board.
Sounds like you don't have to flip a coin. Very, very intelligent response with several interesting suggestions. And though it deserves a topic of its own, you are absolutely right on the economic development commission; that has really been an expensive excursion into uselessness. And I was a 'For' voter on that issue, but like Gomer says, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me." My wife & I got our 'No' votes in early.
Badbone

Newport, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2013

Badbone says: "VOTE NO TO THE JAIL TAX"!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 17 of17
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Newport Forum right now

Search the Newport Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 35 min BARNEYII 28,647
dr lawson 2 hr Fancy Pants 33
scam 3 hr ? 3
Exit 51 Grave 9 hr whiskers 9
Fireworks show 10 hr whiskers 14
wild cats in Newport!! 15 hr Feather weight 9
Teeth or lack of 21 hr Drugs 1
•••

Flood Warning for Jackson County was issued at July 10 at 11:08AM CDT