Leyden rifle range run-in results in ...

Leyden rifle range run-in results in broken foot

There are 142 comments on the Brattleboro Reformer story from Oct 15, 2009, titled Leyden rifle range run-in results in broken foot. In it, Brattleboro Reformer reports that:

A man who lives next door to the rifle range where Vermont Yankee security officers train sustained a fracture of a bone in his foot after it was run over by a vehicle driven by one of those guards.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Brattleboro Reformer.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
flat lander

United States

#2 Oct 15, 2009
Well don't know if the APPLE DUMPLING GANG can shoot straight but their dam good with the car. Are they being trained to use a fender when in doubt. No no just run their foot over and not leave any marks on the car. After this do those old ladies in the VY drive know how lucky they are. Mr Cormier do you think that they wanted a conversation with you or will you want to try this again or are you a little slower now. good luck in the future. you either rent or own the property next to the club and you were not thinking of the worst that might be. Along with those who live near the old tracks that are now revised or the power lines over head and the trees below or build along the highway and complain of the noise. well good luck again STEP BACK HERE COMES THE THE IMPORTANT PEOPLE so they think what do you think.
homeland SECURI

Westfield, MA

#3 Oct 15, 2009
Kinda of scarey to think that this training camp is in our midst and that they're arming these hot heads.
a government grant and any excuse is all it takes to encroach on the rights of regular citizens. One would assume that these residents moved to Leyden in the first place for the relative peace, quiet and privacy. Very unsellting. I hope this ordeal brings about some changes in favor of the residents of Leyden.
Hmmm

Westland, MI

#4 Oct 15, 2009
Good thing this article presents both sides of the story.
homeland SECURITY

Westfield, MA

#5 Oct 15, 2009
AMAZING!! A government grant and an excuse and citizens are subject to this kind of abuse in their own homes. Most of the people I know from Leyden appear to live out there for the peace and tranquility. So much for that idea!
I cannot believe that this training camp is in our midst and that it is arming these hot heads! Good GOD! When they ram their way through the neighbors and come down off the hill in their big-ass-trucks they are that much closer to me. I thought that all I had over here at the moment is drunken hunters. I hope this incident brings about some change in favor of the citizens of Leyden.
The Brattleboro Informer

Florham Park, NJ

#6 Oct 15, 2009
This article is typical of the Reformer. Read between the lines and its clear Matthew Cormier caused his injury to his foot. If these people have a problem with the range or Vermont Yankee they should go through official channels; not harass law abiding citizens minding their own business driving on private and public property.
CT Flatlander

Brattleboro, VT

#7 Oct 15, 2009
My my my, What a dither we all seem to be in. I have a question to the residents. Did you know you were buying a home near a range? I find it hard to believe you didn't.
You remind me of people who moved out of the city in CT into our farming town and then complained it smelled like cow manuare. NO SH*T? Unless you were a resident when the range was built and voiced your dissent, you have nothing to complain about. This range was probably built before you were even born. Maybe you should research your next move a little better?
necessary evil

Little Rock, AR

#8 Oct 15, 2009
Do you think these "goons" want to be out till after 8 pm shooting? Do you think they like upsetting the community? Do you think these "hot heads" have a choice? Maybe to them it's just a well paying job that allows them to provide for their families. Maybe the NRC mandates their qualifications and their employer requires them to go to keep their job. Maybe nobody honked their horn leaving the range. Maybe that guy is a little mentally unstable. Maybe he ran up to two vehicles and scratched the paint down to the metal and his foot was run over in the process.
Whit

Bellows Falls, VT

#9 Oct 15, 2009
If 5 cops truly failed to render assistance to a man injured by vehicular assault, they should be suspended. The driver of that vehicle should be charged. Do the cops look at those security guards as their fellows, and side with them against the public?
Tamarac

Bath, ME

#11 Oct 15, 2009
homeland SECURITY wrote:
AMAZING!! A government grant and an excuse and citizens are subject to this kind of abuse in their own homes. Most of the people I know from Leyden appear to live out there for the peace and tranquility. So much for that idea!
I cannot believe that this training camp is in our midst and that it is arming these hot heads! Good GOD! When they ram their way through the neighbors and come down off the hill in their big-****-trucks they are that much closer to me. I thought that all I had over here at the moment is drunken hunters. I hope this incident brings about some change in favor of the citizens of Leyden.
When buying a home one gets a discount upfront on the price of the property when located in an undesirable area. Location, Location, Location. Don't subject us to your bellyaching because you have buyers remorse.
massachusetts resident

Easthampton, MA

#12 Oct 15, 2009
Dear Leyden neighborhood. Have you thought of taking them to court on a nuisance complaint?? It might be able to happen in housing court, may not ou'd win. The other idea that you migth purseu is to get the citizens of Leyden to change the zoning laws and make it illegal to fire guns from a facility such as this one, past a certain time of day.
Good luck!!!
gunner

East Calais, VT

#13 Oct 15, 2009
not very professional people, you're acting like a gang of mall ninjas. i've carried a gun on the job in massachusetts, with a "class A", "all lawful purposes" pistol permit and while doing so i treated the public with courtesy and respect. just as i do now carrying legally as a private citizen here in vermont, but then i'm used to being armed, its no thrill, and gives me no special status, and no "right" to bully my neighbors, and that is exactly what you're doing to your neighbors in leyden. having a gun and a permit to carry it does not give you a "right" to act like a jerk, on or off duty.
Tamarac

Bath, ME

#14 Oct 15, 2009
massachusetts resident wrote:
Dear Leyden neighborhood. Have you thought of taking them to court on a nuisance complaint?? It might be able to happen in housing court, may not ou'd win. The other idea that you migth purseu is to get the citizens of Leyden to change the zoning laws and make it illegal to fire guns from a facility such as this one, past a certain time of day.
Good luck!!!
Current use laws would allow the continued operation of the range. Additionally, the range is in compliance with zoning. Any homeowner who lived in the neighborhood when the range was built had the opportunty to address the planning board then. Any homeowner who moved in after the fact has nothing to complain about.
jway

Florence, AL

#15 Oct 15, 2009
If ya stupid enough to get closer than a couple feet to a moving vehicle ya deserve it. Unless ya got long feet, then 3 feet/
The Brattleboro Informer

Florham Park, NJ

#16 Oct 15, 2009
massachusetts resident wrote:
Good luck!!!
It wasn't even 8:00 PM on a Tuesday night, what is the big deal?
BLocal

Sheffield, VT

#17 Oct 15, 2009
Tamarac wrote:
<quoted text>Current use laws would allow the continued operation of the range. Additionally, the range is in compliance with zoning. Any homeowner who lived in the neighborhood when the range was built had the opportunty to address the planning board then. Any homeowner who moved in after the fact has nothing to complain about.
They do if the law says that the range closes at 6:00 and they're not following the law. When people move into an area they would consider that the place closes at 6:00 and that it wouldn't be a problem.

The problem that should be addressed is why they're using it a lot later.

The people around there are just trying to support their families too and enjoy an evening of peace and quiet with them in their homes.

Around this area there are many types of businesses surrounding our homes. As long as they're following the law it works. But if you get a bunch that think that noise ordinances don't apply to them it can make for a really miserable neighborhood to live in. No business has the right to ignore the laws and then wonder why the neigbors are angry about it.
mike mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#18 Oct 15, 2009
Hmm, what kind of a town project will it take and how much money will it take....isn’t the issue Leyden rifle range is choking with all the money they are getting over this, and the people listening to the noise don’t get compensatory benefits.

I mean, how big a contract is the Leyden rifle range getting for hosting Vermont Yankee? You got to know that is worth a lot.
mike mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#19 Oct 15, 2009
What kind of town governance you got in Leyden...is Entergy or Leyden rifle range paying off your politicians or police?

Remember it is tax fraud...won’t it be a hoot if Entergy was caught up in paying off these little politicians? Any being taken out to fancy diners and credit cards drinking binges.
mike mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#20 Oct 15, 2009
Homeland Security on the Range
In the woods with the gang that's learning to shoot straight.
—By JoAnn Wypijewski
March/April 2006 Issue
GUILFORD, VERMONT.
“But then, as people looking for excuses like to say,“everything changed after 9/11.” The rifle range—a couple of target bunkers in an open field, some 200 yards long, bounded only by forest, laced with a brook and wetland rivulets, and dedicated since 1935 to “promoting the shooting sports”—was enlisted in the Global War on Terror. The Leyden Rifle Club’s eminence, Elwin Barton, told the press that his members answered the call of the bugles and offered the range for the cause of national security. Now there’s shooting on any day, sometimes every day, in snow, during flooding rains, at night, sometimes hundreds of rounds a minute. Small-time shooters still bring their paper plates with a Magic Marker scrawl of a bull’s-eye, but the range has become the real province of private security guards and law enforcement, occasionally a SWAT team, who aim at higher-tech targets or at human silhouettes. Last summer, a Guilford farmer trailing a lost sheep through the forest approached a clearing and found herself in line with one of those target terrorists.
Leyden, Massachusetts, a town of 808 people, and Franklin County, one of the poorest and most rural in the commonwealth, are unlikely entries on a terrorist hit list, and the county Sheriff’s Department wouldn’t say if its activity at the Rifle Club is paid for with Homeland Security dollars. But last October alone its officers spent four hours a day for 15 days, plus one night, practicing at the pistol range, a lot of man-hours and lead for a strapped county. And in other respects Franklin County resembles many out-of-the-way places in America where Homeland Security money has filled gaps in state and local budgets or given local agencies new toys, fresh opportunities.”
mike mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#21 Oct 15, 2009
mike mulligan

Roslindale, MA

#24 Oct 15, 2009
How much taxes does Barton pay into Leyden.

But you see what we are getting at, he is a extraordinarily connected man to police forces all around here...is that why he called into the staties...is the staties impartial...you got to know that is why Entergy chose this place because they thought his connections would protect Entergy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newfane Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Road Pitch investors ride motorcycles into Brat... Jun 23 internet troll 1
Happy Zombie Jesus Day (Apr '15) Jun 21 SDIPN dot Net 25
Actor Says Obama Stole His Persona (Nov '13) Jun 19 Lhdollbaby 11
Seek God And Receive Answers For Your Troubles (Apr '15) Jun 14 Light For All 4
Looking for Guy Who Tried to Sell Heroin To My Kid (Sep '15) Jun 14 Light For All 7
Angels Are Watching You! (Apr '15) Jun 14 Light For All 8
News Habitual offender gets 15-24 months in jail (Aug '09) Jun 14 Light For All 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newfane Mortgages