Puppies rescued from run-down mill

Puppies rescued from run-down mill

There are 44 comments on the KFOR story from Oct 21, 2009, titled Puppies rescued from run-down mill. In it, KFOR reports that:

More than a hundred dogs found in dire condition after a puppy mill owner has neglected them for years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KFOR.

JUNE BOYKEN

Oklahoma City, OK

#23 Oct 21, 2009
THERE NEEDS TO BE MORE CONSIDERATION PUT INTO THIS PROBLEM, RESPONSIBILITY IS THE ANSWER, TO GIVE ALL THESE DOGS AWAY WITHOUT THOUGHT OF GETTING THEM SPAYED, NOT KNOWING THE HOMES THEY ARE GOING TO, WILL ONLY COMPOUND THE PROBLEM, MORE PEOPLE BREEDING, THERE ARE SO MANY DOGS OUT THERE NOW WITHOUT RESPONSIBLE OWNERS, TAKING HOME DOGS THEY SOON TIRE OF, BREEDING DOGS THERE ARE NO HOMES FOR, GOOD DOGS, PEDIGREES, THOUSANDS DYING BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT RESPOSIBLE ENOUGH TO OWN A DOG, PLEASE MAKE RESPONSIBLE DECISIONS, ONLY TAKE A DOG YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE FOR THE REST OF ITS LIFE, AND PLEASE, PLEASE NO PUPPIES. SPAY.
a friend

AOL

#24 Oct 21, 2009
These people are liars. They told everyone that there was that many dogs , the truth is this was a publicity stunt to get money from all the soft hearted people sending them money. Th e total was 6 puppies and 59 dogs. 10 bags of food a week, These people came to her house and offered to help her the dogs were mostly retired breeders, She was great full and then they turned on her with lies the pictures of the dogs were not taken at her place they were taken at the so called Humane Facility, They do not have a facility unless you call a barn a facility. They stole crates from her home they did not have thier own cages in fact they stole her cagesv to haul off the dogs
Deborah

Oklahoma City, OK

#25 Oct 21, 2009
What? Who are the liars? The people that were on TV? Are you saying they are the ones who stole crates from the original owner? I didn't understand your post...
Amber Lynn

Oklahoma City, OK

#26 Oct 21, 2009
These dogs need to be SPAYED or NEUTERED before release to any adoptive home. I have at least 5 requests per week to accept PUREBRED DACHSHUNDS into our rescue and if these dogs are released without being "fixed" they will no doubt continue to produce more puppies... via accidental litter or purposeful breeding.

The rescue I'm affiliated with will take any Dachshunds this "Humane Society" will release to them, have the dogs fully vetted (spayed/neutered, dewormed, shots, heartworm/lyme/erlichia tested, dental care or any other things necessary) before adopting them out to screened homes. Email me if we can help! macknsuzy AT yahoo DOT com
college student

Stillwater, OK

#27 Oct 21, 2009
I would really like to help...Just wondering what time to meet in Shawnee?
shampoodles

Edmond, OK

#28 Oct 21, 2009
if you want to contact them, you need to call the husband. personally, I'm going to groom some of them this weekend. I'll step up and do what I can.
SRMom

Columbus, OH

#29 Oct 22, 2009
Oh for heaven's sake "Real Rescue" stop bashing these people, get your butt in gear and start lining up vets who can do the exams, vaccinations, and spay/neuter. They get busy and round up a group of volunteers who can help with bathing, grooming and cleaning up these dogs. When you are done with that, you can help fundraise to pay the vet bills and provide food, heartworm preventative, flea/tick preventative and meet the additional needs of 140 plus dogs. That is what those of us who ARE involved with puppy mill rescue dogs do. Stop all the puffery and condemnation and get to work doing something constructive to help with the work in caring for these dogs. And for the record - no one believe the rescuer told you he was going to sell the dogs by the road side. What a piece of work you are!
4 dogs and chick

Stillwater, OK

#30 Oct 22, 2009
You can sit in Columbus Ohio and give advice to OK Rescue? Don't believe everything you read in the paper. After speaking with the REAL Humane Society...yes anyone can tack Human Society on to the name of their Rescue group....I just found out they are all gone! Yes that's what I said. So we don't need to "get our butts in gear" we can just pray now that the unsuspecting public didn't get a sick dog to take home with their family and that a "really sweet couple" didn't take a intact male and female to start their own little money making business. As Ohio is another leading state in the number of puppy mills you need to get off your butt in your own state. Hopefully not another sad day for OK dogs!!
petlover

United States

#31 Oct 22, 2009
"real rescue" is clearly one of the animal rights radicals that wants all breeding of animals to end. yes there are too many pets, yes shelters are overcrowded, but this is the obvious overly emotive plot of radical extremists, even pointing to the animal rights run website petabuse.
petlover

United States

#32 Oct 22, 2009
I feed 15 dogs and food costs about $70 a week. x10=700 nowhere near 1500 btw. it does sound like this got out of hand on this lady but I think a lot of it was pumped up by the media and the humaniacs to make everything another "puppy mill gone bad".
4 dogs and chick

Stillwater, OK

#33 Oct 22, 2009
Petlover...stick your head in the sand and it will all just go away. The animal abuse, the breeding for the sake of the almighty buck, the dog fighting, chaining, starving, beatings. You don't want to hear it and you certaining don't want to see it. Radical? You bet! Against anything not good for the well being of our four legged family members!! Oh don't go to PETABUSE.COM by any means because we "radical humaniacs" fabricate it all, it's just a "poor breeder that got overwhelmed"!!!
petlover

United States

#34 Oct 22, 2009
I assure you my head is far from in any sand. I work against you animal rights radicals nationally every day and will continue to do so. and btw at the same time *I* am vegetarian for over 20 years and live in the country (where I used to think I had some privacy and could be left to live in peace from fanatics) about 15 minutes from these folks how about you? I bet - meat eater, living in the city, under 30 and have never yet had to put down a dog for old age. so many young women always think they know best til they finally learn better.

radicals like you think animals have the same rights as people. THEY DO NOT!

and as to petabuse, they may not fabricate, but they sure highlight all the bad and you almost never see them follow up or post the outcome when people are exonerated!

guess what? animals ARE PROPERTY, and if people want to breed them for the almighty buck or anything else it's their business (tyson and hormel do it millions a day - I hope you don't buy any fast food or meat products)!

if I want to keep my dogs on chains, IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. but you fanatical extremists try to infringe on other lawful citizens rights and violate our backyards in the name of "humanity" (but really it's not about humans at all).

thank goodness mob doesn't rule in the US because you feel-good zealots that have lapped up "humane" society propaganda to the detriment of free americans' rights to not be subject to ludicrous animal rights driven laws designed to elevate them to the same plane as humans.

animals are not people! nor are they 'like a child' to anyone but lonely anthropomorphizers (usually women) with not enough real children and/or human affection in their lives.

go help the hundreds of kids starving in shawnee then I could call your agenda humane.
petlover

United States

#35 Oct 22, 2009
petlover

United States

#37 Oct 22, 2009
post that damn petabuse link again and I have plenty more.
DOG LOVER

United States

#39 Oct 22, 2009
I'm not sure where everyone is getting their info but these so called rescuer's did not rescue 150+ dogs.The puppy mill only had between 60-70 dogs total and that includes puppies.
Peaches

United States

#40 Oct 22, 2009
I don't know if it was 60 or 70 dogs but when we got there at 9 there were about 10, then they brought about 10 more by 11 all the dogs were gone. They went back to get more dogs and they were instructed to get off the property. After going in front of the judge, They came back with about 20 dogs. We rescued a Boston Terrier that they determined is about 7 years old. We believe that at one time had been taken care of. We took him to the vet and the groomer. He was covered with fleas and he and he has cataracs. We have never owned a dog, but we think we can give Maxxwell a good home. He has not been neutered, but we will. I felt that the dogs should have been neutered, I spent a few hours with Ms.Cara and her husband and they did were very nice and concerned about where the dogs were going. I think what they did was great and I am glad that we could help.We love the new addition to our family and he fits in perfectly he snores.
wandab

Shawnee, OK

#41 Oct 23, 2009
The couple WERE not selling the dogs at the adoption day--they would CERTAINLY take donations for all animals they care for, but they DID not sell them!! IT would be nice if people would get their facts staight before they insert their feet!! The names of the people were written down, they were given vouchers to help with the spay/neutering and also vaccinations, and they were told that they would be called upon to make certain the animals were being properly cared for and had been spayed/neutered. The Tecumseh Humane Society DOES do follow-ups on the animals--could you HELP them, and other organizations? Or, are you jump-to-the-gun people and just spat off words without all the facts? You don't have to donate money; help with cleaning, feeding, watering, it all takes caring people!!!
dog lover

Shawnee, OK

#42 Oct 24, 2009
i personally give it up to the origional owener for trying for so many years after her husband died... and from what ive seen the dogs were not starving and with spending 1200 dollars a week how could they be starving???? not only that but i too have been to the rescue house and there was not 150 dogs.... the media is blowing this way out of porportion because ive seen a puppy mill and i honestly do not think this was the case in this situation.... this was a widdow who was trying to live on her dead husbands dream and as hard as it was im sure to let it go she did!!!! atleast she had the heart to do it befor it got any worse!!!! try to think about this "horriable person" and what it would be like in her shoes befor you judge her..... i dont know maybe its just me but i try to look at every angle befor making my decision on how im going to believe
Just the groomer

AOL

#43 Oct 25, 2009
You people criticizing these people for rescue. Where were you, when they needed volunteers and crates to keep the male and females separate!!! You weren't there to see the conditions these dogs were living in and the extreme matts. Most of them were so matted, that maggots were getting under their coats. So what the Baxter did was more humane than to leave them to be eaten alive buy the parasites. So back off.
oh pleease

Eureka, CA

#44 Dec 9, 2009
In some countries they don't even bother picking them up off the streets,
they have big mutts breeding with a litter already.
It is going to get worse when it will be me or the dog as far as eating goes, dogs are hard to take care of like a child, and most landlords do not want them,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newcastle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Illegal Roofing Crews and Homeowners BEWARE (May '10) 2 hr ivan83 258
Kimberly Lavonne Cox: Stuck Up 3 hr PCNorth 4
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) 18 hr Codywooton1993 448
Embrace the Trumpet Thu TFCN 14
Stylist Brandi McCoy Thu Jamie Dundee 18
News Grider Found Guilty, Gets Life (Feb '07) Jun 22 Grim Reaper 51
News Police searching for two missing people (Oct '10) Mar '16 No name 82
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newcastle Mortgages