my kids math homework
niki

Bowling Green, KY

#1 May 7, 2013
Julie performed the experiment of drawing a tile from a bag recording its color and then returning the tile to the bag. She preformed the experiment 20 times and recorded the results. Brown 5. Orange 8. Purple 2. Tan 5. Which color do you predict Julie will not pick next?
niki

Bowling Green, KY

#2 May 7, 2013
I think the answer should be purple. Based on probability. My boyfriend disagrees. I need some help before I send him off to school in the morning.
One

Canton, OH

#3 May 7, 2013
If it's not a trick question, which it seems like it is,. Then purple would be wrong. Assuming there were the same number of tiles of each color to begin with.

Orange would be least likely picked because it has the most tiles missing already. orange is prolly the answer.

But really you aren't given enough info. I mean you could say "black". And I bet that bitch don't pull out a black one next.
whatttt

Akron, OH

#4 May 7, 2013
She already did it 20 times. There shouldn't be anymore drawing.
think

Duluth, GA

#5 May 7, 2013
niki wrote:
Julie performed the experiment of drawing a tile from a bag recording its color and then returning the tile to the bag. She preformed the experiment 20 times and recorded the results. Brown 5. Orange 8. Purple 2. Tan 5. Which color do you predict Julie will not pick next?
Probability is based off of what you start with in your bag. If you do the experiment and Return the tiles to the bag the probability of pulling colors remains the same regardless of what you've pulled out of the bag. For example lets say you have 20 tiles and 4 colors. If one color is orange and there are 8 orange tiles, then the probability on the first draw of getting an orange tiles is 8/20. If you put that tile back then it's still 8/20 on the next draw. If you leave the tile out then the number of tiles is reduced to 19 and the probability changes. If the tile you first pulled is purple and you leave it out the the probability of getting an orange tile increases to 8/19. Hope this makes sense. I am an engineer who does statistical analysis all the time.
wowwers

Evansville, IN

#6 May 11, 2013
It's orange your suppose to assume you will draw the higher number
Uh...

Evansville, IN

#7 May 12, 2013
Why is your child going to school on a Sunday?
Uh...

Evansville, IN

#8 May 12, 2013
Nevermind, I thought this was a new post. Haha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newburgh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tj (Jul '15) 21 min Aims 16
Dakota lauer? (Jun '15) 23 min Jilly 10
Best Head (Mar '15) 38 min best ever 18
hot hostess at sauced 1 hr Methemaitrede 27
Natalee Fairchild in jail again (Jun '15) 1 hr Tomcat 9
mark jesop 1 hr Jen 4
People who regularly drive DRUNK 1 hr crystalball 25
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newburgh Mortgages