Difference between libel and slander.

Difference between libel and slander.

Posted in the Newburgh Forum

grasshopper

Kent, OH

#1 Feb 3, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation
Some of you don't know the difference. Unless u can prove the statement is untrue, there is little that can be done.
I can

United States

#2 Feb 3, 2013
I can prove the post about me is not true!
Real names

Tucker, GA

#3 Feb 3, 2013
grasshopper wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D efamation
Some of you don't know the difference. Unless u can prove the statement is untrue, there is little that can be done.
If a person feels their comments and opinions are so important that they need to be posted on the Internet, then their name should be tagged to it. I don't care if its slander or not. When everyone's name is posted on here, I will not be ashamed of anything I have said and will have my name proudly displayed on every comment.
Stand up

United States

#4 Feb 3, 2013
Write topix! Put a stop to this awful site!
PO Box 50654, Palo Alto, CA 94303
JustAnotherOne

Tucker, GA

#5 Feb 3, 2013
If anyone would like to look into this. May help you with issues you are having.

Harassment

Ind. Code Ann. 35-45-2-2. Harassment.(1996)
(a) A person who, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm another person but with no intent of legitimate communication:

(1) makes a telephone call, whether or not a conversation ensues;

(2) communicates with a person by telegraph, mail, or other form of written communication;

(3) transmits an obscene message, or indecent or profane words, on a Citizens Radio Service channel; or

(4) uses a computer network (as defined in IC 35-43-2-3(a)) or other form of electronic communication to:

(A) communicate with a person; or

(B) transmit an obscene message or indecent or profane words to a person; commits harassment, a Class B misdemeanor.

(b) A message is obscene if:

(1) the average person, applying contemporary community standards, finds that the dominant theme of the message, taken as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest in sex;

(2) the message refers to sexual conduct in a patently offensive way; and

(3) the message, taken as a whole, lacks serious artistic, literary, political, or scientific value.
Stand up

United States

#6 Feb 3, 2013
JustAnotherOne wrote:
If anyone would like to look into this. May help you with issues you are having.
Harassment
Ind. Code Ann. 35-45-2-2. Harassment.(1996)
(a) A person who, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm another person but with no intent of legitimate communication:
(1) makes a telephone call, whether or not a conversation ensues;
(2) communicates with a person by telegraph, mail, or other form of written communication;
(3) transmits an obscene message, or indecent or profane words, on a Citizens Radio Service channel; or
(4) uses a computer network (as defined in IC 35-43-2-3(a)) or other form of electronic communication to:
(A) communicate with a person; or
(B) transmit an obscene message or indecent or profane words to a person; commits harassment, a Class B misdemeanor.
(b) A message is obscene if:
(1) the average person, applying contemporary community standards, finds that the dominant theme of the message, taken as a whole, appeals to the prurient interest in sex;
(2) the message refers to sexual conduct in a patently offensive way; and
(3) the message, taken as a whole, lacks serious artistic, literary, political, or scientific value.
Well you just described 75% of the topics on here!
JML44

Tucker, GA

#7 Feb 3, 2013
There are cyber bullying laws in Indiana that most aren't aware of, that is correct. Defamation/slandering of someone's name or a business/company is a punishable offense if convicted. One of these guys is going to mess with the wrong person and they will be sorry. I'm sure it would look good to your future employer when applying for jobs with something like that on your record.
Stand up

United States

#8 Feb 3, 2013
JML44 wrote:
There are cyber bullying laws in Indiana that most aren't aware of, that is correct. Defamation/slandering of someone's name or a business/company is a punishable offense if convicted. One of these guys is going to mess with the wrong person and they will be sorry. I'm sure it would look good to your future employer when applying for jobs with something like that on your record.
Ok, so what can we do as victims to stop this! Luckily the post about me was devestating or life altering, and the fact I was with my boyfriend the night the poster is speaking of, saved me! Lol. But had I not been I would have had a lot of explaining to do. This is my first time ever bein posted on here...I think. Hardly ever go out. But so help me god, the one night I did I pop on here, lol.
Real names

Tucker, GA

#9 Feb 3, 2013
JML44 wrote:
There are cyber bullying laws in Indiana that most aren't aware of, that is correct. Defamation/slandering of someone's name or a business/company is a punishable offense if convicted. One of these guys is going to mess with the wrong person and they will be sorry. I'm sure it would look good to your future employer when applying for jobs with something like that on your record.
Not only for jobs, but if the real names come out on the posts, some ppl are going to get what's coming to them and they won't need a lawyer.
Real names

Tucker, GA

#10 Feb 3, 2013
Stand up wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, so what can we do as victims to stop this! Luckily the post about me was devestating or life altering, and the fact I was with my boyfriend the night the poster is speaking of, saved me! Lol. But had I not been I would have had a lot of explaining to do. This is my first time ever bein posted on here...I think. Hardly ever go out. But so help me god, the one night I did I pop on here, lol.
We are trying our best... Keeping these at the top will catch other victims and hopefully get them on board with us to take a stand.... Lets get as much info as possible.. That address was a great start. I'm going old school but maybe contact state reps and congressmen.... They are supposed to be for the ppl right??
Real names

Tucker, GA

#11 Feb 3, 2013
This originated in California, let it stay there!! This is Indiana, we have different laws!
Stand up

United States

#12 Feb 3, 2013
Real names wrote:
<quoted text>
We are trying our best... Keeping these at the top will catch other victims and hopefully get them on board with us to take a stand.... Lets get as much info as possible.. That address was a great start. I'm going old school but maybe contact state reps and congressmen.... They are supposed to be for the ppl right??
My boyfriend works for the city and has a lot of friends with the city. I am going to talk to him and see what he says or who to contact. The police protect themselves on here why can't we be protected as well. I know most of us are not being threatened in the manner that officer did, but we should still have some rights to protect our names.
JML44

Tucker, GA

#13 Feb 3, 2013
I recalling seeing several evansville pd officers names being posted on this site. I am sure they would love to see that.
Stand up

United States

#14 Feb 3, 2013
JML44 wrote:
I recalling seeing several evansville pd officers names being posted on this site. I am sure they would love to see that.
Don't get me wrong, I was not putting down officers. I even posted the address on one of their topix. Too many of them so I don't remember which, lol. But yes, we all need to put a stop to this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newburgh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
He's newly single, has STD's and is a POS. Any ... 11 min Pondering 25
crackheads martina and donnie are back 12 min gooch 8
Nice washer 50$ 18 min Ghetto Jay Z 2
Star Wars 20 min Kylo Ren 8
Brittany bevenger bad girl 21 min BigRed 31
chedders 23 min Hornee 12
taylor swift is kind of cute 24 min HoeFax 4

Newburgh Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newburgh Mortgages