Fake Weed: Synthetic Awarness

Posted in the Newburgh Forum

News101

Duluth, GA

#1 Feb 5, 2013
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-895582

A teenage girl suffered a series of strokes that left her brain damaged and paralyzed after smoking “synthetic marijuana” that she bought from a gas station.

Emily Bauer, 17, has also been unable to see since December when she smoked the “fake weed” with friends - prompting her family to launch a campaign to ban the substance.

At first, Emily, from Cypress, Texas, thought she had a migraine and decided to lie down. But she then suffered the strokes, which put her into a psychotic-like state, according to CNN.
She urinated on herself, hallucinated, ran into walls and became violent.

After 24 hours, with her family worried that she had not come down from the drug, they called police to put her into an ambulance and take her to Northwest Cypress Hospital.

Doctors induced her into a coma to perform tests on her brain, and discovered the strokes had caused severe vasculitis.

This is where the contracting blood vessels had constricted the flow of blood and cut off oxygen to her brain.
The vessels soon began to expand again, but it put pressure on her brain, leading surgeons to drill a hole in her skull and insert a tube to relieve it.

Her family were told she would never recognize them again, or ever have the use of her arms or legs.
It led her parents to decide to take out her breathing tube and stop feeding her on December 16 - but miraculously she fought and one day told her mother that she loved her.

Despite knowing that their daughter may never fully recover, they have now decided to raise awareness of the dangers of “fake weed”- often called “potpourri”- and try to make it illegal.
They have launched a non-profit organization called Synthetic Awareness For Emily.

The herbal mixture is doused in chemicals and is said to trigger a high that is similar to smoking marijuana, reports the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
Her stepfather Tommy Bryant told CNN: "We want to let kids and parents know about the warnings signs: migraines and withdrawal.

"We all know the warning signs of alcohol and cocaine, but with this synthetic weed stuff, it's so new that nobody knows about this stuff.
"We want to let other parents know about this so they don't have to go what we've been going through."
Ugh

Evansville, IN

#2 Feb 5, 2013
Her fault; the package clearly dates that it's not for human consumption.
SoSad

Duluth, GA

#3 Feb 5, 2013
Horrible. I once was argued down by a teen-aged person that nothing was wrong with spice. Talking about that it grew out of the ground. The kid got very angry with me when I told him that not everything growing out of the ground is good for you. Poison grows out of the ground, and is found in various plants.

Stop listening to people and do your own research.
Wow

Duluth, GA

#4 Feb 5, 2013
Her parents sound dumb as hell. I wont say the same about her since shes been through enough, poor kid.
Ugh

Evansville, IN

#5 Feb 5, 2013
Spice, Diamond, K2 are all manufactured. Nothing natural about them. At all. And the packages all plainly state that they are not for human consumption- so the companies get off scot-free if anything happens to a user.

It's sad that the girl died but she should have known better. Where were her parents then? They're a bit late, worrying about her after this all happened.

Marijuana is natural; nothing wrong with that. You haven't heard of anyone overdosing- because it's impossible.
Ugh

Evansville, IN

#6 Feb 5, 2013
Ugh wrote:
Spice, Diamond, K2 are all manufactured. Nothing natural about them. At all. And the packages all plainly state that they are not for human consumption- so the companies get off scot-free if anything happens to a user.
It's sad that the girl died but she should have known better. Where were her parents then? They're a bit late, worrying about her after this all happened.
Marijuana is natural; nothing wrong with that. You haven't heard of anyone overdosing- because it's impossible.
Sorry, read the story wrong. She did not die- but my point still remains.
thickandchocolat ey

Evansville, IN

#7 Feb 6, 2013
I tried it and it made me start tweeking like i was on crack. That shit is nooo good. Smoke real weed.
Smh

Indianapolis, IN

#8 Feb 6, 2013
I'm not even going to speak on the irony of the synthetic marijuana. That is terrible, that poor girl's life is gone for nothing.
Chip

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Feb 6, 2013
Reason 5,782 why I don't do drugs.
horrible

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Feb 6, 2013
poor girl. this makes me sad.

my boyfriend was just saying last nite people should NOT trust any "synthetic drug" the government allows to be legal. i thought he was making some conspiracy crazy talk, but now i see why.

they sell legal horse tranquilizers type drugs and fake cocaine. SMH.
as if real drugs arent bad enough.
my best wishes to this girl & her family.

Since: Jan 13

Evansville, IN

#11 Feb 6, 2013
I tried triple x once and it flipped my wig and I started freaking out! Thank god it did not last long. I was driving and I hit the fake weed and all of the sudden I could not remember where I was. My heart starte racing soooo fast, and was beating so hard that it seemed like I could hear my heart beat in my head....weird I know. Needless to say that was the first and last time I fUcked with that sHit....it aint no joke that's for sure.
ray

Evansville, IN

#12 Mar 11, 2013
ya guys I agree totally. I know that a place on franklin doesn't sell it anymore as of this past weekend. Ive heard they sell in some surrounding counties but anywhere in evansville. Unless you guys might know a place. maybe
Yeah

Evansville, IN

#13 Mar 11, 2013
Most places don't sell it anymore, it's on the streets you just have to find the right people.

I smoke this and have for 3 years, I've felt the negative effects since day one.
But I can't quit...

If they would just legalize real weed I think the fake problem would pretty much go away

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newburgh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
needing babysitter for new year's eve 4 min eggtimer 9
Romain Buick GMC Cadillac 13 min honest 2
Name people who sell drugs 17 min hohoho 28
Angela Habib 18 min Whoa 4
emmons 20 min Tired of losing 3
Boonville girls basketball 27 min Tired of losing 10
name them 27 min who 1
Newburgh Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web