Are you supposed to tip at sonic?
A Fan

Charlestown, IN

#2 Apr 29, 2013
Yes
not

Bowling Green, KY

#3 Apr 29, 2013
You don't have to, the carhops make min wage and don't report tips..... It's not the same as a sit down restaurant where the servers make 3.00 an hr and turn in tips.
1212pitch

Union City, GA

#4 Apr 29, 2013
I think it is cool to tip because minimum wage isn't enough for anyone, a dollar or even your change all adds up in the end.
bullsh

Tucker, GA

#5 Apr 29, 2013
As a carhop I can tell you we do NOT make minimum wage, we make $5/HR and are required to claim our tips. More often than not your carhop is not only taking your order, making your drinks, and sometimes making your order too, and with sonic (as opposed to a sit-down restaurant) we are taking care of dozens of customers in the time a regular server takes care of 5-6 tables!
troll

Tucker, GA

#6 Apr 29, 2013
When you pay with a card there isn't an option to tip on the receipt. So I don't tip because I never carry cash. Not many people pay with cash anymore. I feel bad that I'm not tipping, but I'm not going to the bank just to buy a hamburger and fries.
not

Bowling Green, KY

#7 Apr 29, 2013
bullsh wrote:
As a carhop I can tell you we do NOT make minimum wage, we make $5/HR and are required to claim our tips. More often than not your carhop is not only taking your order, making your drinks, and sometimes making your order too, and with sonic (as opposed to a sit-down restaurant) we are taking care of dozens of customers in the time a regular server takes care of 5-6 tables!
Must have changed in the past few years. I know 3 people that worked there and they all 3 made min wage and kept every penny of tips and didn't have to claim them either. And sonic has a sign on every window that says you don't have to tip.... So the answer to the original question lies there.....
carhop

Tucker, GA

#9 Apr 29, 2013
And which sonic is it that you're going to? I'm curious about these signs that I've never seen or heard of. Must have been awhile since your friends worked there, no sonic pays a carhop more than $5/HR.
Actually

Tucker, GA

#10 Apr 29, 2013
A FEW YEARS AGO, the carhops would make min wage and get credit card tips. I'm a carhop at Sonic, and we only make $5 an hour and do not get credit card tips. Do people understand what the carhops actually go through to make the customers happy? Probably not. More than half of the time, Sonic is getting smoked with 20+ orders at one time, trying to cook food, make drinks/ice cream, take orders, bag the order, and take out the order. Not to mention..the customers are really fucking rude when their order doesn't come out in 2 mins or less. Uhm hello....can't you see that there 19 other cars on the lot? But some of the customers barely have the decency to tip the carhop that is running/skating their ass off to get those orders out. So if you're one of those people that don't tip at sonic..fuck you.. & I hope your food tastes like ass.
Actually

Tucker, GA

#11 Apr 29, 2013
ANOTHER THING: the store is 95 degrees plus when it's hot out. Considering 95% of you leave your car running and it makes it 15 degrees hotter than it is especially in the summer, so it would be great if the customers wouldn't bitch about the service and appreciate it. Oh and also tip! Whether its 10 cents or 5 dollars..it adds up.
tap

Newburgh, IN

#12 Apr 29, 2013
troll wrote:
When you pay with a card there isn't an option to tip on the receipt. So I don't tip because I never carry cash. Not many people pay with cash anymore. I feel bad that I'm not tipping, but I'm not going to the bank just to buy a hamburger and fries.
I NEVER carry cash on me. So it's more or less Sonics fault to not offer tips on cards. I'd love to tip you, but I don't have the option to.
Actually

Tucker, GA

#13 Apr 30, 2013
I know that not everyone carries cash or coins on them, which is fine. And the carhops don't expect a tip from every order they take out, but it would be awesome to get a tip from at least 75% of the cars. It just really irritates the carhops when people say not to tip us, but WE DON'T GET PAID MIN WAGE like everyone thinks we do. And we work our ass off to get those orders out quick and fast to the customers in under 3 mins. People don't understand how many orders we have at once, and it's really frustrating. If every parking spot was full on the lot, that means every car could press the button to order at the same time. We only have 2 intercoms in the store to take orders on, so we try to get to everyone as fast as we can. We are getting our ass kicked inside with 40+drinks and 15+ HUGE FOOD ORDERS. It would be great if people would just think about others, instead of theirselves for once. Customer service really shows how America really is.
GOD

Ashland, KY

#14 Apr 30, 2013
Everytime I go there to get my free bogo burger they tell me I have to buy one first!!! They are not honoring the coupon and are holding the bogo burgers hostage!!!
not

Bowling Green, KY

#15 Apr 30, 2013
I wasn't saying not to tip, Im actually a good tipper and feel a little bad if I can't tip. I don't do it because I have to, it's cuz I want to.......
Actually

Tucker, GA

#16 Apr 30, 2013
BOGO MEANS BUY ONE GET ONE FREE!
carhop

Tucker, GA

#17 Apr 30, 2013
Pfftahaha! You crack me up GOD, come get your free bogo Burger from me, you realize though that the bogo Burger is not for the timid? Better have a stomach of steel... ;-)
GOD

Tucker, GA

#18 Apr 30, 2013
Don't lie "actually" you people are holding out on everyone that goes to sonic for one of those delicious bogo burgers by making up this whole "buy one get one" lie. WE THE PEOPLE WILL NOT STAND IDLY BY WHILE OYR BOGO BURGERS ARE STOLEN BY THE EVIL EMPIRETHAT IS SONIC...GIVE ME BOGO, OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newburgh Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jodie yod 1 min One shot thot 2
SAHM/Working moms 40 min Haha 50
I'm gonna get ya 1 hr Bringit 16
Jon roy 1 hr wondering 11
Ezekiel 1 hr VVega 4
Truth of attorneys 1 hr from experience 3
Sherry Gang 2 hr A Grisham 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newburgh Mortgages