Two men accused of killing cats

Two men accused of killing cats

There are 47 comments on the Public Opinion story from Dec 24, 2008, titled Two men accused of killing cats. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Two men have been accused of killing two house cats near Shippensburg. Jonathan Y. Wenger, 20, of Newburg and Benjamin P. Gelsinger, age and address unavailable.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
I Know

Akron, OH

#1 Dec 24, 2008
Were the "house" cats in their house? Were the "house" cats on someone else's property? While I do not condone this cruel and inhumane action, why are cats permitted to roam freely and unlicensed (unlike dogs)?
I Feel Your Pain

Elizabethtown, PA

#2 Dec 24, 2008
Assuming the cats were indeed in the house of the owner, this is a dispicable act. However cats allowed to roam all over creation are destined to meet some unpleasant end, in the form of disease, abuse, or road killing. I hope these kitties were indeen in the loving care of a responsible owner for their lives, and that if so, these two people are prosecuted and go to jail, instead of a little slap on the wrist fine.
To Cat Owners

Rahway, NJ

#3 Dec 24, 2008
Many supposedly "house cats" are left to roam the neighborhood and you are to "respect" that. Well, what about when they dig up my flower beds to use as a potty and I get the mess to clean up, or what about when they come into my yard and kill my birds - am I to respect these nice little kitties?
Kittens are cute, but they grow into sneaky big cats. I would never deliberately kill a cat, but if these cats were causing problems and just left to roam anyway, then I blame the owners. You can only take so much! You are right, "I know", I never understood why cats aren't under the same regulations as dogs.
JEB and CLEM

Wilmington, DE

#4 Dec 24, 2008
Clem and me hav a passel full of cats, when we thinks we got to many we mosey on down the road to this nice chinese fella's house. He mus be in the cat savin business, cause all the cats he got from me and clem gots to be aroun a hunred. We thinks he takes all them in to town and gives them away, cause we always sees 'em leavin for work wit all the cats. Clem says that he has a restraunant in town. He mus be a good God feerin man. Bless you.
SBE

United States

#5 Dec 24, 2008
Chances are that since these guys were nothing more than overgrown teenagers, they were doing it for fun, and not for any other purpose. However, if the owner really cared about her kitties, she wouldn't have let them outside where immature people could harm them.
Wow

Newville, PA

#9 Dec 24, 2008
Hello
animal advocate

United States

#10 Dec 24, 2008
I turned in my old neighbor, whose teeth are so fake that they stick way out of his mouth, for slaughtering a cat. You could hear the poor thing scream houses down, til it wasn't able to scream anymore. The S.O.B. was seen washing blood off his boots with a garden hose. He didn't get arrested because the cops couldn't find the cat by the time they got there...Most of the cats in our neighborhood are wild. That jerk wasn't even an American citizen...the cat sure was.....The man needed to be deported back to where he came from. I'll turn in all the future Jeffery Dommers, before they become one like him....Sadistic creeps...It usually starts with animal cruelty and arsin.......Wonder what other criminal activity they're involed in? Makes you wonder doesn't it?
Oh come on

Chambersburg, PA

#11 Dec 24, 2008
SBE wrote:
Chances are that since these guys were nothing more than overgrown teenagers, they were doing it for fun, and not for any other purpose. However, if the owner really cared about her kitties, she wouldn't have let them outside where immature people could harm them.
How dare you ... doing it for fun??? Like that makes it ok? Killing a domesticated animal 'for fun' is despicable - a person of any age, especially age 20, should know better. People who purposely harm pets are usually capable of much worse and I have to wonder what message they were sending the owner. My heart goes out to her.
SBE

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Dec 24, 2008
Oh come on wrote:
<quoted text>
How dare you ... doing it for fun??? Like that makes it ok? Killing a domesticated animal 'for fun' is despicable - a person of any age, especially age 20, should know better. People who purposely harm pets are usually capable of much worse and I have to wonder what message they were sending the owner. My heart goes out to her.
I don't recall saying it was OK, I just stated that they were doing because they thought it was fun. And there are LOTS of 20-yr-olds out there who are no more mature than a 6-yr-old. Mostly because their parents baby them, and people these days seem to think that's perfectly OK, too.

You need to save your indignation for when somebody actually makes a comment worth being indignant about.
gram

Carlisle, PA

#13 Dec 24, 2008
Was the cat in the house, duh, I doubt it very much,
If people who own cats care so much for them, then keep them in the house. Or on a leash or pen outside. Dogs are controlled, why not cats. Dogs don't kill birds & dig flower beds to pottie. We dog owners care about our pets. how about cat owners do the same.
There are "Have a Heart" traps you could catch the cats & take them to the Humane Society. or maybe a farmer would take them to catch mice in their barns.
Come on "cat" people some responsibility here.
SBE

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Dec 24, 2008
gram wrote:
Come on "cat" people some responsibility here.
Don't count on THAT happening. They want to groan and complain if somebody does something to their precious fluffy because it was damaging property, but don't want to be responsible for making sure the kitty doesn't get into trouble to begin with. Their excuse seems to be "it's the cat's nature".

In my opinion, cat lovers are lazy pet owners; they don't have to be bothered taking the animal for a walk to do its business - it uses the litter box. And everybody knows cats do what THEY want to do, not the owner's wishes. The only thing a cat does similar to a dog is eat on a regular schedule, and then they treat their owner as if they are their servant - no affection. A dog owner has to bathe and walk their dog on a regular schedule, and they get faithfullness and affection in return. No matter what, but especially when I'm sick, my dog lays on the floor next to where I am; dogs truly are man's best friend.

Since: Nov 08

Barnegat, NJ

#19 Dec 24, 2008
I am a cat owner and love my kitty. He stays in the house and is not allowed outside. Folks who have indoor cats should never let them outside if they care for them because there are folks like those kids who hate cats. As to the person who said their dog was the only faithful pet, etc., well you have never owned a cat, especially a Maine Coon. At least with my cat you never need to worry with him going in your yard and smelling up the outside. He is a very clean kitty and you would never know I have a cat when you walk in except he greets you at the door whether he knows you or not. I used to like dogs until I moved to my area and see how lazy dog owners can be. They think they rule the place and can let their dogs lift a leg on your plants as they walk by, kill the plants along the sidewalk, are too lazy to pick up after their dogs and expect that everyone should think it is fine and dandy to leave a pile. Folks need to just be responsible with all their animals to include all breeds, types, indoor/outdoor. I would be the first person who will call the cops on someone who leaves a dog in their car during the summer months and I have. I approached a couple folks last summer because dog owners who take their dogs with them on a hot summer day are not responsible for their health or safety. I couldn't believe that it was in the 90's with heat index higher and a little dog was in a hot car with the windows down about 2 inches. The owner should be made to sit in a car like that and see how it feels. Poor dog looked so hot and was panting really hard.
Downwind

Chambersburg, PA

#21 Dec 24, 2008
SBE wrote:
Chances are that since these guys were nothing more than overgrown teenagers, they were doing it for fun, and not for any other purpose. However, if the owner really cared about her kitties, she wouldn't have let them outside where immature people could harm them.
For your information,( SOME CAT LOVER )left these barn cats behind, unfeed & uncared for. They were sick, mangey. I would of shot them also.
HEADCHEESE

Chambersburg, PA

#22 Dec 24, 2008
How would you like it if you had to buy a licence for your stupid cat that can't learn any tricks, is lazy & kills baby rabbits & small baby birds, puts paw marks on your car & truck, S--TS in your flower bed & garden. YES, AND (WHY) ISN'T THERE ANY LAWS FOR THEM STUPID CATS. Let's ask Ms Martin the dog law inforcement officer WHY NO LAWS FOR THE CATS.
rainy days

Chambersburg, PA

#24 Dec 24, 2008
OZ the Cat wrote:
I am a cat owner and love my kitty. He stays in the house and is not allowed outside. Folks who have indoor cats should never let them outside if they care for them because there are folks like those kids who hate cats. As to the person who said their dog was the only faithful pet, etc., well you have never owned a cat, especially a Maine Coon. At least with my cat you never need to worry with him going in your yard and smelling up the outside. He is a very clean kitty and you would never know I have a cat when you walk in except he greets you at the door whether he knows you or not. I used to like dogs until I moved to my area and see how lazy dog owners can be. They think they rule the place and can let their dogs lift a leg on your plants as they walk by, kill the plants along the sidewalk, are too lazy to pick up after their dogs and expect that everyone should think it is fine and dandy to leave a pile. Folks need to just be responsible with all their animals to include all breeds, types, indoor/outdoor. I would be the first person who will call the cops on someone who leaves a dog in their car during the summer months and I have. I approached a couple folks last summer because dog owners who take their dogs with them on a hot summer day are not responsible for their health or safety. I couldn't believe that it was in the 90's with heat index higher and a little dog was in a hot car with the windows down about 2 inches. The owner should be made to sit in a car like that and see how it feels. Poor dog looked so hot and was panting really hard.
WOW, do you have a problem. Did you like dogs before you move to this area ???? Maybe you should go back to where you came from...... I bet you voted for OBAMA ??
MAJ_Kong

Chambersburg, PA

#25 Dec 24, 2008
rainy days wrote:
<quoted text>WOW, do you have a problem. Did you like dogs before you move to this area ???? Maybe you should go back to where you came from...... I bet you voted for OBAMA ??
Voting for President-Elect Obama has exactly what to do with this article?

Since: Nov 08

Barnegat, NJ

#26 Dec 24, 2008
rainy days wrote:
<quoted text>WOW, do you have a problem. Did you like dogs before you move to this area ???? Maybe you should go back to where you came from...... I bet you voted for OBAMA ??
haha!!! You are so funny! I moved from Chambersburg a few years ago and NO Thank You!! Do not care to ever move back to that town. It is no concern of yours who I voted for and something you should never ask anyone but since you are from where you are, guess that is the reason. I guess I should rephrase...I like dogs but would never own one because of being around lazy dog owners. Guess you must be a dog owner to be so defensive in what I said. Didn't you read that I care about animals to include dogs when I see them in a hot vehicle?
MAJ_Kong

Chambersburg, PA

#27 Dec 24, 2008
HEADCHEESE wrote:
How would you like it if you had to buy a licence for your stupid cat that can't learn any tricks, is lazy & kills baby rabbits & small baby birds, puts paw marks on your car & truck, S--TS in your flower bed & garden. YES, AND (WHY) ISN'T THERE ANY LAWS FOR THEM STUPID CATS. Let's ask Ms Martin the dog law inforcement officer WHY NO LAWS FOR THE CATS.
Learn to spell - you might be taken seriously someday. Cats are not lazy - they know how to take advantage of their situation. Paw marks on your car and truck - poor baby; beats scratch marks from dogs jumping up against them! Can't learn tricks - you are obviously so narrow-minded in your hatred, that you've never seen what cats are capable of trick wise.
speedychet

Elmer, NJ

#28 Dec 24, 2008
OZ the Cat wrote:
<quoted text>
haha!!! You are so funny! I moved from Chambersburg a few years ago and NO Thank You!! Do not care to ever move back to that town. It is no concern of yours who I voted for and something you should never ask anyone but since you are from where you are, guess that is the reason. I guess I should rephrase...I like dogs but would never own one because of being around lazy dog owners. Guess you must be a dog owner to be so defensive in what I said. Didn't you read that I care about animals to include dogs when I see them in a hot vehicle?
I am sorry that you miss paying lower taxes, friendlier people and less congestion.
I happen to have lived in many places and I am happy to be in Chambersburg, probably a lot happier now that you have left and decided not to return.
Don Vito

United States

#29 Dec 24, 2008
I have a dilemma. I love cats and dogs !

"How much is that Doggie in the Window"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Flaggers bear rage of Franklin County motorists (Aug '09) 7 hr NPG 45
joanna sheppard Jun 6 mojo 1
Bethany Crabtree (Mar '15) Apr '16 Not surprised 2
News Local Colleges Still Losing War Against Student... Mar '16 phaqsno 5
News 3 doctors on trial for sponges left in Newburg ... (Mar '10) Feb '16 Anon 76
Jumped by a bunch of cowards Feb '16 Shannon Morris 1
"... about my mother, I'm trying to get the fac... (Jan '15) Jan '16 Don M 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newburg Mortgages