Greencastle police catch two wanted m...

Greencastle police catch two wanted men at Maryland motel

There are 13 comments on the Public Opinion story from Jan 25, 2010, titled Greencastle police catch two wanted men at Maryland motel. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

STATE LINE, Md., Monday , Jan. 25, 2010 -- Greencastle police arrested two wanted men at the State Line Motel on Thursday: -- Brian Etchberger, 44, formerly of Newburg, was wanted on a bench warrant for being an unregistered Megan's Law violator.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

disagree

Greencastle, PA

#1 Jan 25, 2010
Good work, maybe. Didn't know PA police had any jurisdiction in MD. If not, how could they legally restrain this guy until MD police arrived? And if the Greencastle police took the other guy into custody, why is he in jail in MD? Maybe the Greencastle police played bloodhound but the MD police actually made the arrests. Hate to see them released on a technicality. Anyone actually know the law and can give me an explanation?
Sherlock

Altoona, PA

#2 Jan 25, 2010
It depends on the crime, State where the warrant was issued, reciprocal agreements between states in question, etc..

I would think the police knew what they were doing my dear Watson.

Since: Nov 09

Chambersburg, PA

#3 Jan 25, 2010
It's rather elementary when you note in the article that the wanted felon was stopped on US 11 but continued to flee south.

Hence, south...meaning they went into MD only after being pursued.

So, it's logical to conclude that it's still within PA jurisdiction to bust down their door and drag them out without bothering MD troopers.
disagree

Greencastle, PA

#4 Jan 25, 2010
That was kinda my point. What jurisdiction do Greencastle Borough police have outside of the borough of Greencastle. If you're saying once they begin to pursue someone, they can go anywhere they want then they aren't really BOROUGH police, but more of a regional police force? I always believed that the pursuit was stopped at the state line wherein the appropriate police from the neighboring state would continue the chase. Still doesn't explain why they are in jail in MD and not PA. Doesn't make sense to me if you can chase them across state lines, why can't you bring them back after they're captured? Maybe it's the wrong police force getting credit for the arrest.
Former Lawman

United States

#5 Jan 25, 2010
Disagree--ya gotta read the article before you start posting. Sheriff's Dept. REQUESTED Greencastle Police's assistance; thereby giving them all the authority they needed to act outside their their normal jurisdiction.
Smitty

Chambersburg, PA

#6 Jan 25, 2010
They're in jail in Maryland, because they were arrested in Maryland. They will both be charged as fugitives and will have the option of waiving their extradition hearing or take an extradition hearing and challenge it (which would be dumb).

The Greencastle Police and the Sheriff's Department were able to follow the guy into Maryland, because they were engaged in an active pursuit. The officers/deputies are not going to let a fleeing felon disappear into Maryland and then ask the local authorities to drive all over creation hunting him down.

One of you posters is correct though. Technically Maryland authorities would have made the arrests. At least it will go in the books that way. There's no telling who actually put the cuffs on the guys. The PO does get a little confusing on that point. Then again the PO has a hard enough time grasping journalism. I sure as hell wouldn't expect them to comprehend criminal law.
Reality Landshark

Carlisle, PA

#7 Jan 25, 2010
"I fight law.
Law wins."

Never gets old, does it??

LOL!!
disagree

Greencastle, PA

#8 Jan 25, 2010
Former Lawman wrote:
Disagree--ya gotta read the article before you start posting. Sheriff's Dept. REQUESTED Greencastle Police's assistance; thereby giving them all the authority they needed to act outside their their normal jurisdiction.
The story has been updated with more information. The earlier version had information missing which is why I posted my questions. I probably should have just read the Hagerstown paper and gotten my questions answered. And just so you know I am able to figure things out, the Sheriff's Dept most likely asked Greencastle Borough police to assist, rather than PSP, is because it would have taken PSP too long to get anyone there. Right?
get real

Harrisburg, PA

#9 Jan 25, 2010
does any of this matter, two wanted people in jail=good for us.
frank wright

Washington, DC

#10 Jan 26, 2010
GOOD JOB BY GREENCASTLE PD.
tWO SCUMBAGS OFF THE STREETZ

Since: Aug 09

Greencastle, PA

#11 Jan 26, 2010
I believe you will find that it was the Washington County Sheriff's Dept. that made the "arrest" but it was the Greencastle Police Dept. and the Franklin County Sheriff's deputies that made the stop. Like a previous poster mentioned they have to be extradited from Maryland to be held on the charges that were issued from Pennsylvania. All in all I agree that it is great that both of these fugitives are off the street and can only hope that our justice system can do an equally good job of putting them away for awhile.

Funniest part of this is that PSP (which is the organization that provides police "protection" to Antrim Township and State Line is part of Antrim Township) were too far away to assist in this matter. I have multiple contacts with similar experiences with PSP taking forever to respond. Personally I am not blaming the troopers themselves but Chambersburg is too far away to be the closest PSP location for the citizens of Antrim Township. It's about time the Antrim Township supervisors realize that they need to protect their people rather than have them wait 20 - 30 mins for a trooper from Chambersburg if one isn't in the area. Greencastle Police have offered multiple times to expand their department and potentially create a Greencastle-Antrim police department but the township supervisors ignore the issue every time it comes up. Save some money by working with the Greencastle Borough Police and increase protection for all of us residents of Antrim Township.

***Also, just for note, a municipal police officer in PA has jurisdiction regarding any FELONY offense (such as the two warrants issued for these men) within the state which is how Borough Police could initiate the traffic stop in State Line (and they were requested by FCSD.***
Matt

Chambersburg, PA

#12 Jan 26, 2010
who gives a crap on who did what. A pervert and a kidnapping robber are off the streets one again. Quit bickering over the stupid shit. Kill em' both. Save Pa and Md tax dollars
Darth Vader

Bendersville, PA

#13 Jan 26, 2010
Kudos to the Greencastle Police Dept.
They were in pursuit as requested and acted accordingly.A big plus is that two more dirt bags off the streets.
The new chief and his officers are doing a GOOD job , and if they could just get the a holes who are selling drugs to school kids off the street,they would be doing a GREAT Job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GANGS IN FRANKLIN COUNTY? After arrests of Bloo... (Aug '10) 17 hr Jup 105
News Trick-or-treat nights scheduled this year (Oct '09) Jan 8 Buster 54
News Man shot at Gettysburg rally aims to replacea Jan 4 Allah licks pig s... 6
Pot (Apr '17) Jan 1 Mimallah 3
News Shippensburg man faces 11th underage drinking c... (Nov '10) Dec '17 Susie17252 58
Susquehanna Slam 16u softball Aug '17 chadshimko 1
News Franklin County area police log (Apr '10) Apr '17 Tony 9

Newburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newburg Mortgages