Opinions differ on the danger of the ...

Opinions differ on the danger of the Pa. 533-Pa. 997 intersecti...

There are 23 comments on the Public Opinion story from Feb 8, 2009, titled Opinions differ on the danger of the Pa. 533-Pa. 997 intersecti.... In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Who is right? Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Letterkenny Township supervisors disagree on what should be done at the intersection of Pa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Anon

Vienna, VA

#21 Feb 9, 2009
I like the rumble strips idea. A good inexpensive start. Flashing lights next step after that.
FRANK WRIGHT

Virginia Beach, VA

#22 Feb 10, 2009
997 isnt that bad it just seems all the old people travel it frequently.
They tie up the road and are a hazard to other drivers.
They wonder why they get passed up.
Get old folks off the road.
Sondra

Elizabethtown, PA

#23 Feb 10, 2009
A local 1st Responder wrote:
"They have torn down the obstructions, you can see fine. How do you get folks to judge distances better.
Maybe rumble strips, a yellow flashing light or just more intelligent people ?"
I don't know what you're smokin' but they have only torn down one obstruction on the north-east corner (made it a parking lot) There are still serious obstructions on the south-east and north-west corners (houses)
I think that these obstructions do pose a problem but, a vast majority of these accidents occur due to drivers being unfamiliar with the area and simply "blow the stop sign" on Rt 533 (this has happened going both directions)
If you check the records I think someone did die after an accident at that intersection, but it was a day or so later in a trauma center.
Apparently these deaths don't make Penn DOT's list.
State Police have set-up in the area from time-to-time and that only is a temporary solution.
I think that rumble strips idea is good in that, it will get the attention of the operator that is unfamiliar with the area. If the rumble strips were also placed on Rt. 997, it would also remind drivers on that road that they need to slow down.
This would also be at least, less costly than the traffic light.
there has been at least four people killed at this intersection at one time. How many more!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pot (Apr '17) Dec 8 Bob 2
News Trick-or-treat nights scheduled this year (Oct '09) Dec 8 Goober 53
News Man shot at Gettysburg rally aims to replacea Nov 25 Steve Gartman 4
Susquehanna Slam 16u softball Aug '17 chadshimko 1
News Franklin County area police log (Apr '10) Apr '17 Tony 9
News Chambersburg Public Opinion (Mar '09) Mar '17 30packaday 10
News Franklin County area police log (Jan '11) Mar '17 duck man 5

Newburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance