Opinions differ on the danger of the ...

Opinions differ on the danger of the Pa. 533-Pa. 997 intersecti...

There are 23 comments on the Public Opinion story from Feb 8, 2009, titled Opinions differ on the danger of the Pa. 533-Pa. 997 intersecti.... In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Who is right? Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and Letterkenny Township supervisors disagree on what should be done at the intersection of Pa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Anon

Vienna, VA

#1 Feb 9, 2009
PENNDOT can start with the basics. Replace the missing speed limit sign on 533 coming into Pleasant Hall. The 'speed limit 35' sign has been missing for years. So right now people can legally come into town and hit the intersection at 55mph.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#2 Feb 9, 2009
Maybe the government could give Letterkenney township a little money.Installing flashing lights could create at least 2 or 3 jobs...Seriously,though,I drive through there every day and the biggest problem is the high rate of speed everybody drives,maybe rumble strips on 533 would be cheaper than a traffic signal.
cumberland countian

Portsmouth, VA

#3 Feb 9, 2009
They have torn down the obstructions, you can see fine. How do you get folks to judge distances better.
Maybe rumble strips, a yellow flashing light or just more intelligent people ?

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#4 Feb 9, 2009
Reduce the speed limit to 35 on both roads as you near the intersection and install rumble strips on both roads. Maybe the occasional presence of a PSP patrol might have an effect. Maybe.

“ONE LOVE...ONE HORSE”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#5 Feb 9, 2009
The 997 part works fine...pretty sure they have signage "35 Ahead" - If you dont slow down, you just dont want to.

Dont drive the 533 end as much - easy to go fast on that road as I recall. Agree with Anon on back to basics...
A local 1st Responder

Shippensburg, PA

#6 Feb 9, 2009
"They have torn down the obstructions, you can see fine. How do you get folks to judge distances better.
Maybe rumble strips, a yellow flashing light or just more intelligent people ?"

I don't know what you're smokin' but they have only torn down one obstruction on the north-east corner (made it a parking lot) There are still serious obstructions on the south-east and north-west corners (houses)
I think that these obstructions do pose a problem but, a vast majority of these accidents occur due to drivers being unfamiliar with the area and simply "blow the stop sign" on Rt 533 (this has happened going both directions)
If you check the records I think someone did die after an accident at that intersection, but it was a day or so later in a trauma center.
Apparently these deaths don't make Penn DOT's list.
State Police have set-up in the area from time-to-time and that only is a temporary solution.
I think that rumble strips idea is good in that, it will get the attention of the operator that is unfamiliar with the area. If the rumble strips were also placed on Rt. 997, it would also remind drivers on that road that they need to slow down.
This would also be at least, less costly than the traffic light.
HUNTER

Fannettsburg, PA

#7 Feb 9, 2009
Significant imporvements have occurred at this intersection throughout the years. Forty five years ago you would just sit on the corner store benches to wait for an accident to happen. The traffic going too fast on 997 is just as much to blame as the traffic running the stop signs. Sorry to say but that fast traffic on 997 is locals that know better.
LuLu

Chambersburg, PA

#8 Feb 9, 2009
I ran that stop sign on 533 heading twd ship one night in 2007. I was not familiar with the road at all but I was not speeding. It is very dangerous, they need a flashing light there.
LuLu

Chambersburg, PA

#9 Feb 9, 2009
I t-boned a driver who WAS speeding on 997.
so you know

Deltona, FL

#10 Feb 9, 2009
two people with the last name of Johnson were killed at that intersection a few years ago....
so you know

Deltona, FL

#11 Feb 9, 2009
flashing lights would be nice but rumble strips on PA533 either side of pleasant hall and in the town of Upperstrasburg would be nice
Something needed

Shippensburg, PA

#12 Feb 9, 2009
Has anyone ever driven on Grant Shook Road in front of Antim Township Park? Those are RUMBLE HILLS not strips. They would definitlly slow people down.

“ONE LOVE...ONE HORSE”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#13 Feb 9, 2009
Glad this was posted - I go through there on 997 sometimes and I was unaware of the hazzard from 533 traffic. I'll look from now on!
I Feel Your Pain

Landisburg, PA

#14 Feb 9, 2009
If you are crossing east bound on 533, traffic to the north coming south on 997 is very hard to see. I ahve a van, so it is easier for me to creep up to see. My son has a buick, and he has to stick his front end out into traffic to see properly. A light would be best, but I guess local lives aren't worth that kind of expense to the powers that be. Never mind that one funeral is more expensive than one light. And one hospital stay cost more than many lights.
resident

Conestoga, PA

#15 Feb 9, 2009
People travel way to fast on 533 and 997 in this area. Have you ever tried to pull out of a driveway there? You look both ways, hit the gas and pray. Rumble strips might just be the answer.
a reader

Lansing, MI

#16 Feb 9, 2009
I periodically travel 533 both east and west through that intersection and am very cautious crossing 997 because traffic on 997 is usually travelling much faster than the posted 35 limit. What I can't fully understand is the excuse of not being familiar with the road. I believe there are crossroad and stop sign warning signs prior to the intersection in each direction. Being unfamiliar with the road one is travelling is no excuse for running a stop sign - be more observant and cautious if driving in unfamiliar territory.
Misty Starr

Shippensburg, PA

#17 Feb 9, 2009
There has been lots of fatal crashes i've lived in Pleasant Hall 22 years and a member of the fire department I have respnoded to many crashes there and several ones were fatal there was even a double fatility there at one time
funny

Carlisle, PA

#18 Feb 9, 2009
Ive lived in this town all my life. Since I can remember this intersection has been a problem. I don't understand why we can't get the money to put in some sort of a light. It's a fact, that people drive to fast on 997 through that intersection. It's a straight shot, easy to forget. Maybe the state police should make themselves a little more visible out this way. LOTS of speeders around here ie. Mountain Road, 533 through Strasburg and on up the Mountain. People just don't think. Another thing to remember while heading into that intersection (997&533), is that people have lost there lives there, mainly due to speeding traffic on 997, you don't want to find yourself in a position where you're responsible for taking someone's life.
fake id

Bendersville, PA

#19 Feb 9, 2009
Simple solution... How about posting 4 huge metal signs... SLOW DEADLY INTERSECTION AHEAD, SLOW OR YOU MIGHT DIE....... very cheap to do. but with all of the red tape of who should post the sign, most likely the township/state fight would still run thousands of dollars...... Opps.. Sorry, I guess if you posted a sign like that you'd be acknowleding the dangerous situation and be held accountable too if you did nothing... Why does the state need a traffic study done. They should take notice to the local government that are already micro managing the situation... small town government knows what is best for the area....
Hope this works out for the best
Lucky Wife

Chambersburg, PA

#20 Feb 9, 2009
I have traveled these roads all my life and knew the two people that were killed there in an accident awhile back. I was involved in an accident there myself, turning left to come into Upper Strasburg, an old man stopped, then pulled through the intersection to hit me broadside, he had no license because he couldn't pass the test. The PSP left him leave the scene and drive home because his wife was "disabled". There needs to be something done here, people traveling down 997 go through that intersection entirely too fast and if they are rubber necking at the local scenery, they more than often rearend someone patiently waiting to make the turn. Can someone with the state get some brains??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chambersburg Public Opinion (Mar '09) 1 hr cvb 9
News Franklin County area police log (Jan '11) Mar 18 duck man 5
Pot Feb '17 Michelle 1
News Peggy Ann Bradnick Jackson to open Fulton Fall ... (Oct '08) Feb '17 Snowflake 112
News GANGS IN FRANKLIN COUNTY? After arrests of Bloo... (Aug '10) Feb '17 Pappy 102
News AARP to offer tax preparation help (Jan '11) Jan '17 In2peace 4
Vincent martz Dec '16 martz friends 1

Newburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newburg Mortgages