Building could become line dance club

Full story: Public Opinion

The former Shippensburg Community Center building may soon become a country line dance club.
Comments
1 - 20 of 67 Comments Last updated Oct 16, 2008
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Hmmm

Newville, PA

#1 Aug 20, 2008
If Longhorn leaves Pleasant Hall, what is Mr(s) Curtis going to complain about?
finally

Greencastle, PA

#3 Aug 20, 2008
YES! get them the hell out of Pleasant Hall! They have caused nothing but trouble since they started. The empolyees and dancers have been increasing rude to the neighbors of the fire department, and I am sure to the memebers of the department, the longer they have been here. If I was the council I would decline this proposal and if I was the fire department I'd kick Pace's ass out!
Mother of 5

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Aug 20, 2008
I think that this would be great for the kids and young adults. I always hear from them "there is nothing for us to do in this town". I grew up in Shippensburg and the kids are right. If a child isn't "athletic" there isn't much for them to do.

Since: Feb 08

Chambersburg PA

#5 Aug 20, 2008
Now I may finally have somewhere to go to do the achy breaky heart dance.

YEE HAW! WOO DOGGIE!

I went to this har club in Cburg and they did this thang called the Lectric Slide. So I asked the DJ to play some Billy Ray Cyrus so me n the ole lady could do some achy breaky on the dance flor and them ole boys run us out of thar faster than lickety split.

Yee Ha! Go Ship!
FireChick

Johnson City, TN

#6 Aug 20, 2008
Well, as much as Pace is a con artist, he was actually making the fire department SOME money... its too bad that he can't come through on his promises, nor can pleasant hall with their availibility of the hall for the event. Maybe moving longhorn to shippensburg will be a welcome change to get everything back on track.

i think the downfall can be partially laid on both PH and LH... and as a member of the FD I can tell you that there is truth in that.
ffman15

Greencastle, PA

#8 Aug 20, 2008
FireChick wrote:
Well, as much as Pace is a con artist, he was actually making the fire department SOME money... its too bad that he can't come through on his promises, nor can pleasant hall with their availibility of the hall for the event. Maybe moving longhorn to shippensburg will be a welcome change to get everything back on track.
i think the downfall can be partially laid on both PH and LH... and as a member of the FD I can tell you that there is truth in that.
it is the amin. staff of Pleasant Hall that decided that holding other events in the activites center for a night or two here and there would bring in more profits than holding Long Horn there that night. I dont blame them, things like Midnight Madness bingo would probally bring in more money than Pace.

Since: Dec 07

Chambersburg, PA

#9 Aug 20, 2008
And the Mason-Dixon line continues to creep further and further north...
ffman15

Greencastle, PA

#10 Aug 20, 2008
Coppy wrote:
And the Mason-Dixon line continues to creep further and further north...
whats that suppose to mean? what people dont realise is that the areas like Roxbury, Lurgan and Orrstown are small, rural communities. Southern culture might have had some influance, but I can assure you that these areas are totally original, and this whole contraversy with longhorn has nothing to do with North vs. South. I'm sure that someone dosn't know what they are talking about here...
armed

Carlisle, PA

#11 Aug 20, 2008
where ever they go, i am afraid it won't stop the girls from spitting chew!!
Doesnt Matter

Shippensburg, PA

#12 Aug 20, 2008
There are A LOT of people that have some information, but not all.... to my belief, LH has brought in MORE money than madness bingo. Pleasant Hall VOLUNTEER Fire Dept, is a non-profit organization, and the money that LH was giving to PH just was never good enough, and they were never appreciative. Who has the right to say that PH isn't the problem of why LH is moving. LH needs to expand, and PH maybe just isn't the place for it to happen. If people would see the other side of the picture and step back and take a look at real life, It goes both ways... LH needs a freash start, and I think that Shippensburg is the place to do it in! And as for stopping girls chewing... Everyone is there own person, who is going to tell someone to stop doing something when it isn't their right? I thought we were living in America... The land of the free... Maybe I was mistaken... Shippensburg give LongHorn the chance they deserve!
Way to go LongHorn

Shippensburg, PA

#13 Aug 20, 2008
As I have been coming to LongHorn since the very start at Pleasant Hall, I can tell you that LongHorn has been nothing but positive for me and my family. It is such a relief to know that LongHorn might be coming to Shippensburg. It's so much closer and my kids have a blast. It saddens me and my family to hear some of the comments above. The people above that are writting such harsh words don't know the real Rick or LongHorn at all.

I can tell you that I heard more than $12,000 was given to the Pleasant Hall Fire Department last year alone by LongHorn residing there. Is this not a good thing? Come on people! You talk about Mr. Pace not coming through with promises, well I think that was a pretty good promise and deal for the FD. LongHorn was able to bring in money that wasn't there before.

I for one back LongHorn up and will continue to support them and drive a lot of business to the club. It's a welcomed thing to hear that LongHorn might be working with Shippensburg. Obviously some of the Fire Department memebers there don't truly appreciate what LongHorn is all about and that's allowing our kids and family to have fun in a positive setting.

GO LONGHORN!!! We have your back!!!
stand your ground

Shippensburg, PA

#14 Aug 20, 2008
After reading some of the comments I started to say, wow! I can tell you that so many people have so many different stories to tell. If you line up 25 people and the first person tells the next person in line to say, "I ate an apple today at lunch", and to pass it down... guess what happens? The last person in line says, "I ate fruit today during my lunch break". That isn't the original saying from the first person. Why? Because so many people put their own version into statements everytime they tell someone new. This leads to the missleading truth and starts rumors that turn into bigger problems.

Why am I saying this? Because I know for fact that LongHorn has done nothing but bring a positive thing to the community and though there were some ups and downs in the endevour thus far, what doesn't have some ups and downs? Tell me what company out there doesn't struggle from time to time? But you know what? LongHorn again was able to work with a NON PROFIT ORGINAZATION such as the FD and helped them bring in a good bit of money. Excellent work guys!

For the nae sayers out there, I would ask you to step back and take a look at yourself. You're not perfect and you never will be. LongHorn I'm sure isn't perfect, but they will continue to try and get bigger and better every single day. I believe LongHorn will be an excellent addition to this community and will show Shippensburg what it really means to be a team player. I know once LongHorn gets into Shippensburg, we will start to see some real action taking place and will be a remarkable place for families and kids of all ages.
ffman15

Greencastle, PA

#15 Aug 20, 2008
I truely feel sorry for the parents that let there teenagers hang out around Pace. Thats all im gonna say, that it anyway you want to...
hmmmmm

Shippensburg, PA

#16 Aug 20, 2008
KLS 15 wrote:
some money, some money that was promised to the FD and was not given... some things may not seem to be as they were planned to be in this whole situation. I am sure people are glad that the DA did not get involved in this situation, but I think it is for the best that Pace may be someone else's problam. Maby things can get back to normal in the FD now.
Hmmmmm.... that's the pot calling the kettle black! If you want to get into deeper issues than longhorn, then all you have to do is go as far as saying about one of you own fire department members touching a girl fire fighter in a wrongful way that was under 17 years old. If that is what you call getting back to normal, then oh my god! And to even go one step further, that fire fighter doesn't deny it at all.
Longhorn is better off being away from issues and people like that. I can't wait to see new changes and positive results from longhorn being in Shippensburg!
just saying

Greencastle, PA

#17 Aug 20, 2008
hmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmmm.... that's the pot calling the kettle black! If you want to get into deeper issues than longhorn, then all you have to do is go as far as saying about one of you own fire department members touching a girl fire fighter in a wrongful way that was under 17 years old. If that is what you call getting back to normal, then oh my god! And to even go one step further, that fire fighter doesn't deny it at all.
Longhorn is better off being away from issues and people like that. I can't wait to see new changes and positive results from longhorn being in Shippensburg!
actions are being taken to solve this problam. I respect the fire departments decision to keep this matter privite and this issue is also being discussed in courts. Im not going to cast a stone, but I agree with "ffman15" there are more than a few people at longhorn that if I had a daughter I would not allow her to be around.
unknown

Greencastle, PA

#18 Aug 20, 2008
Way to go LongHorn wrote:
As I have been coming to LongHorn since the very start at Pleasant Hall, I can tell you that LongHorn has been nothing but positive for me and my family. It is such a relief to know that LongHorn might be coming to Shippensburg. It's so much closer and my kids have a blast. It saddens me and my family to hear some of the comments above. The people above that are writting such harsh words don't know the real Rick or LongHorn at all.
I can tell you that I heard more than $12,000 was given to the Pleasant Hall Fire Department last year alone by LongHorn residing there. Is this not a good thing? Come on people! You talk about Mr. Pace not coming through with promises, well I think that was a pretty good promise and deal for the FD. LongHorn was able to bring in money that wasn't there before.
I for one back LongHorn up and will continue to support them and drive a lot of business to the club. It's a welcomed thing to hear that LongHorn might be working with Shippensburg. Obviously some of the Fire Department memebers there don't truly appreciate what LongHorn is all about and that's allowing our kids and family to have fun in a positive setting.
GO LONGHORN!!! We have your back!!!
I have gone to longhorn before and I think it is an allright place. My only complaint is that some of the people are rude, and... perverted. I have also hear some people complaining that after long horn leaves the gym and the kitchen are a mess. I think that if longhorn is gonna make a mess they should clean it up, after all, the rent out the building dont they? Im sure that the fire company has every right to complain, when longhorn first started out they were much different than what they are now. I think the its time for them to move on and make a mess some where that they dont have to clean it up and they dont have to cause problams... just think, all the money that they are saving not splitting it with the fire company, they might eventually be able to buy or build there own building.
hmmmmm

Shippensburg, PA

#19 Aug 20, 2008
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
actions are being taken to solve this problam. I respect the fire departments decision to keep this matter privite and this issue is also being discussed in courts. Im not going to cast a stone, but I agree with "ffman15" there are more than a few people at longhorn that if I had a daughter I would not allow her to be around.
And there are a lot of kids and bad people that live all around us that I wouldn't want to be around. Longhorn is a positive place for kids or I wouldn't be taking my kids and family there. and you can take that to the bank!
unknown

Greencastle, PA

#20 Aug 20, 2008
Hi, I am a student at SU. Last year I would go to Long Horn with my friends, and when I came back to visit earlier in the summer we went dancing. When I was back at school last year I encountered a few unwanted advances, some from guys I thought wern't even over 18, a few from the staff, who I'm sure were of age. I just blew them off and figured that boys will be boys. I didn't realise any of this was going on, until one of my friends from college emailed me this article. I think its a shame, while I was in Shippensburg I thought that The Pleasant Hall fire Department was a nice little place, and I thought that the area's surrounding Shippensburg were a nice community. Sure, SU dosn't have the best rep. but I would have never guess this all to be happening in a small place where my friend grew up in. It sorta makes me sad to come back to SU for my senior year knowing that if I decide to go dancing I might be in the middle of these problams. With the good advice of my friend and her family who live in the area, I think Longhorn just lost this patiron.
Give them a chance

Shippensburg, PA

#21 Aug 20, 2008
unknown wrote:
Hi, I am a student at SU. Last year I would go to Long Horn with my friends, and when I came back to visit earlier in the summer we went dancing. When I was back at school last year I encountered a few unwanted advances, some from guys I thought wern't even over 18, a few from the staff, who I'm sure were of age. I just blew them off and figured that boys will be boys. I didn't realise any of this was going on, until one of my friends from college emailed me this article. I think its a shame, while I was in Shippensburg I thought that The Pleasant Hall fire Department was a nice little place, and I thought that the area's surrounding Shippensburg were a nice community. Sure, SU dosn't have the best rep. but I would have never guess this all to be happening in a small place where my friend grew up in. It sorta makes me sad to come back to SU for my senior year knowing that if I decide to go dancing I might be in the middle of these problams. With the good advice of my friend and her family who live in the area, I think Longhorn just lost this patiron.
As I'm sure you know, longhorn is a dance club and is a family atmosphere. my kids go to longhorn all the time and I sit down and watch them while I'm there. At no point and time have i ever seen anything going on like this. I can tell you one thing, I will NEVER allow my kids to ever go to tractor twang again. If you want to get into issues, this is the place to go. I went with my kids a little while ago to that place and it's nothing but a breeding ground for bad things to happen. I know that I have many friends that are moms and dads in the area that will back me up on this.

Longhorn has a great staff of security and staff that love to be around people of all ages. You can't let the opinion of one person sway you. Longhorn is a great place for our kids and it should be given a chance in Shippensburg by the community.

If you are looking at this longhorn, thank you for everything and you have more friends out here than foes! As a member of this community, I will make sure we spread the good word about you and help you make it work in our community.
my opinion

Chambersburg, PA

#22 Aug 20, 2008
I really don't have any problams with longhorn personally, but if you go to their website and look at some of the pictures it dosn't appear to be something I'd want my 5, 7, and 10 year olds to see. You can not tell me that a business that allows pictures of young women "leaning into each other", if you get my meaning... is a good family place. It amazes me that young ladies have little respect for themselves and pose for pictures like that. Im all for having good family fun, but after looking at some of the pictures on the website, I do not think that my family will be attending long horn anytime soon.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Thu bacon hater 51,299
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Thu Knows he lost 3,921
Expectant Price family moves from Mont Alto to ... (Mar '09) Aug 20 Kari Price 19
vince martz Jul '14 martz families 1
Local Ukrainian woman reacts to news of doomed ... Jul '14 lady 1
Chambersburg teachers experience the Chinese ed... Jul '14 RayH 1
GANGS IN FRANKLIN COUNTY? After arrests of Bloo... (Aug '10) Jun '14 GenPatton 100
•••
•••
•••

Newburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Newburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Newburg News, Events & Info