Fire damages fresh concrete at bridge...

Fire damages fresh concrete at bridge undergoing reconstruction at border of Lurgan, Southampton ...

There are 15 comments on the Public Opinion story from Mar 1, 2011, titled Fire damages fresh concrete at bridge undergoing reconstruction at border of Lurgan, Southampton .... In it, Public Opinion reports that:

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation officials are assessing the bridge construction that was damaged Saturday in a fire.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#1 Mar 1, 2011
It'll be another 9 months until it's opened.....job security in tough economic times.
Mad mountain girls

Shippensburg, PA

#2 Mar 1, 2011
Of course the bridge will not open in April. For the last 9 months people have been wasting a lot of gas going the whole way to Pleasant Hall to get to Orrstown. It has been one excuse after another why the bridge hasn't opened yet. Maybe they can help pay for our gas for the next several months.......
Joel

Greencastle, PA

#3 Mar 1, 2011
There is no damage to the steel due to a propane and wood fire. The concrete may need to be reworked.
Sawitcoming

Mays Landing, NJ

#4 Mar 1, 2011
It's amazing how long it's taken to do this job. They are looking to do the bridge at Craig's next, which will probably take 2+ years. Talk about farming it out!
FRUSTRATED

Shippensburg, PA

#5 Mar 1, 2011
People who live in this area need to do something about this. Tanyard Hill has been impassable now for almost a year, Roxbury Road is atrocious and will rip up your vehicle. Next they will do the bridge at Craig's. We all can't afford airplanes to get to work.
Say What

Reading, PA

#6 Mar 1, 2011
Joel wrote:
There is no damage to the steel due to a propane and wood fire. The concrete may need to be reworked.
So you have x-ray eyes and can say that 100% certainty?!?!?!?!?!

Guess if it collapses and the engineers say it's fire weakened steel, you'll be asking to hang someone!
Say What

Reading, PA

#7 Mar 1, 2011
Sawitcoming wrote:
It's amazing how long it's taken to do this job. They are looking to do the bridge at Craig's next, which will probably take 2+ years. Talk about farming it out!
Are you aware the concrete didn't pass in the first go around, then after that was removed, the PennDot engineer somehow allowed the wrong steel to be used, which was taken out and that's the reason for the delays, ALL of which are the responsibility of the on site PennDot engineer !!??!!
Tommy

Greencastle, PA

#8 Mar 1, 2011
Say What wrote:
<quoted text>
So you have x-ray eyes and can say that 100% certainty?!?!?!?!?!
Guess if it collapses and the engineers say it's fire weakened steel, you'll be asking to hang someone!
I don't need x-ray eyes. Has propane ever damaged the steel in your propane grill? This is structural steel they are talking about. Think just a little bit, but don't hurt yourself.
Sawitcoming

Mays Landing, NJ

#9 Mar 2, 2011
Say What wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you aware the concrete didn't pass in the first go around, then after that was removed, the PennDot engineer somehow allowed the wrong steel to be used, which was taken out and that's the reason for the delays, ALL of which are the responsibility of the on site PennDot engineer !!??!!
No, I was not aware. Thanks for the info. I wonder who foots the bill for all these mistakes & delays...
Say What

Reading, PA

#10 Mar 2, 2011
Tommy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't need x-ray eyes. Has propane ever damaged the steel in your propane grill? This is structural steel they are talking about. Think just a little bit, but don't hurt yourself.
It was a propane heater that started the fire, subsequently igniting the insulation blankets, formwork and any other flammable materials adjancent to them.

The heat from these materials could and VERY likley did exceed the average melting point of steel, including reinforcing steel, which is about 1510 degrees!

And guess what Einstein, there's not a definitive test to prove it's been damaged other than destructive testing and if you think real hard about this, I think even you can understand what that means!!!
Say What

Reading, PA

#11 Mar 2, 2011
Sawitcoming wrote:
<quoted text>No, I was not aware. Thanks for the info. I wonder who foots the bill for all these mistakes & delays...
Well, unfortunately, you, me and all PA taxpayers will! Like I said, it's the ABSOLUTE responsibility for the on-site PennDot engineer, regardless if it's an actual PennDot engineer or private engineer hired by PennDot to make sure ALL materials are PennDot certified. ALL materials come with a "cert" showing they've been certified by PennDot, including the grass seed used!

Secondly, all concrete passes verious testing on site and a subsequent "break" test!
roxburyin

Kernersville, NC

#12 Jun 14, 2011
I could care less about who did what; all I want to know is why is no one working on this bridge? Yes some things have happened; sure rework needs to be done. Just get to doing it. There is no way that it should take this long. If they wanted to get this job done it could be done in a few months. Hire a work force and GET TO WORK. doing nothing will not solve the problem.
Spendthrift

Jenkintown, PA

#13 Jun 14, 2011
"Our job is to rebuild every bridge, resurface every road, re-sow every blade of grass and re-plant every tree, no matter if it needs it or not, and no matter what the cost and no matter how long it takes".....those that spend other people's money.
OrrBridge

Carlisle, PA

#14 Jun 15, 2011
Someone please get the &$%# bridge finished or get me a helicopter. My vehicles can't handle Ebenezer or Park road anymore. There has been lots of lost time driving to work and wasted gas as well!!! I don't think PENNDOT realizes how many people this is affecting and not working on the bridge at all for this long is criminal, no matter who's at fault!
Ebenezer Scrooge

Jenkintown, PA

#15 Jun 16, 2011
I heard they stopped working on the bridge on Rt16 east of Mercersburg because the steel they were getting is coming from New Orleans and that the supplier is under water. Right now they are said to be six weeks behind schedule. Anyone no if this is true?

I can't wait until they close the bridge at Talhelms Gas station. What a nightmare that will be!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man shot at Gettysburg rally aims to replacea Nov 16 Gene 3
News Trick-or-treat nights scheduled this year (Oct '09) Oct '17 Ginger 51
Susquehanna Slam 16u softball Aug '17 chadshimko 1
News Franklin County area police log (Apr '10) Apr '17 Tony 9
Pot (Apr '17) Apr '17 Rexroth 1
News Chambersburg Public Opinion (Mar '09) Mar '17 30packaday 10
News Franklin County area police log (Jan '11) Mar '17 duck man 5

Newburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance