Police campaigning
citizen

Martin, TN

#1 Oct 7, 2012
whats going on with all these newbern police campaigning with KW? i know greg barr was helping him one day...i saw it. have heard others say rocky and the chief have been helping him. isn't that against city policy or against the law? then they had those fish fry signs in the city court windows. didn't think a city official was suppose to actively work for anyone running for office. guess just another example of policy only matters if it benefits them. guess we really need to contact the law outside of newbern or the election commision to let them know what all is going on.
Newbern Resident

Martin, TN

#2 Oct 8, 2012
citizen wrote:
whats going on with all these newbern police campaigning with KW? i know greg barr was helping him one day...i saw it. have heard others say rocky and the chief have been helping him. isn't that against city policy or against the law? then they had those fish fry signs in the city court windows. didn't think a city official was suppose to actively work for anyone running for office. guess just another example of policy only matters if it benefits them. guess we really need to contact the law outside of newbern or the election commision to let them know what all is going on.
Why don't you, just go ahead and do that? I don't believe anything I read on here and I don't care to be named in a lawsuit with you. Just post a link to the story when they are arrested, Thanks!

United States

#3 Oct 8, 2012
citizen wrote:
I believe that Mr. Barr is campaigning while he is off duty. He has the right to campaign for any candidate in any election he wants to when he is off work. Was he wearing his badge and gun? Was he representing the police department at the time you allegedly saw him campaigning
Guest123

Milan, TN

#4 Oct 9, 2012
It is wrong for a policeman to campaign for a particular candidate even if he is off duty when he walks up to your house and says "I'm so and so with the Newbern Police Dept. Can we put a sign in your yard?" That's what he did to us.

Martin, TN

#5 Oct 10, 2012
i couldnt tell if he had his gun on he was standing behind the short vote for kw sign !
SoWhyAreYouTelli ngUs

Martin, TN

#6 Oct 10, 2012
citizen wrote:
You guy's are KILLING ME! Just because they are police officers, doesn't mean they give their whole lives over for some one else to live.
They are the ones, who have to serve under and report to the people in public office. They see them on a daily basis and know their personalities. Who better to campaign?
I suspect that they were for the OTHER guy and it upset you.
This is my take... If you think they have done wrong, THEN CALL SOMEONE! Don't get on this site and whine about it! When you get on here and suggest that it is wrong, that tells us four things.
1. You don't know and you want some one to find out for you.
2. You want some one else to make the calls to get them in trouble.
3. You have nothing better to do, than to try to stir up discord.
4. You are scared, that your guy is going to lose.
Get off of the computer. Go out and campaign for your choice. Stuff envelopes, make calls, talk to people. Make your own complaints against the people you don't like.
guest 123

Milan, TN

#7 Oct 10, 2012
SoWhyAreYouTellingUs wrote:
<quoted text>
You guy's are KILLING ME! Just because they are police officers, doesn't mean they give their whole lives over for some one else to live.
They are the ones, who have to serve under and report to the people in public office. They see them on a daily basis and know their personalities. Who better to campaign?
I suspect that they were for the OTHER guy and it upset you.
This is my take... If you think they have done wrong, THEN CALL SOMEONE! Don't get on this site and whine about it! When you get on here and suggest that it is wrong, that tells us four things.
1. You don't know and you want some one to find out for you.
2. You want some one else to make the calls to get them in trouble.
3. You have nothing better to do, than to try to stir up discord.
4. You are scared, that your guy is going to lose.
Get off of the computer. Go out and campaign for your choice. Stuff envelopes, make calls, talk to people. Make your own complaints against the people you don't like.
The reason you don't see city employees actively campaigning for Parker is:
1. It IS against the city employees handbook. Also, theones campaigning for KW and are probably afraid of being unemployed if Olen wins because they haven't been doing their job the last 8 years. KW only wants employees he can bully.

2. Because if they actively campaign for Olen, they may lose their job for NOT supporting KW. Remember the last campaign? KW fired anyone connected to Olen.

Sioux City, IA

#8 Oct 12, 2012
Now wait a minute. I don`t care who you vote for but why do you think the NPD hasn`t been doing a good job? Keep in mind that Harold Dunivant has been there longer than KW or any board member and there`s a reason for it. We have a very low crime rate in Newbern and that says alot about what they do. You don`t have to like any of them, but to say they don`t do a good job is an outright lie !!

Sioux City, IA

#9 Oct 12, 2012
As for who they campaign for, it`s perfectly legal for them to campaign while they`re off duty, but kinda stupid to do so.It`s been said that Olen, if elected, is going to clean house ( especially Harold and replace him with someone from Dyersburg ) so obviously they are trying to keep their jobs, but on the other hand, if Olen does get elected, they have assured themselves of being jobless. There is no hope of staying there after publicly speaking out against other candidates. Would have been alot smarter just to stay out of the spotlight.

“It's sackcloth and ashes time.”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#10 Oct 12, 2012
guest wrote:
As for who they campaign for, it`s perfectly legal for them to campaign while they`re off duty, but kinda stupid to do so.It`s been said that Olen, if elected, is going to clean house ( especially Harold and replace him with someone from Dyersburg ) so obviously they are trying to keep their jobs, but on the other hand, if Olen does get elected, they have assured themselves of being jobless. There is no hope of staying there after publicly speaking out against other candidates. Would have been alot smarter just to stay out of the spotlight.
I know Olen. He's not as spiteful as you seem to think.
Newbern Mom

Laconia, TN

#11 Oct 13, 2012
Since a city employee can't put a sign in their yard... I don't see how they are allowed to campaign.

United States

#13 Oct 14, 2012
They can campaign for whoever they wish.. This is america.. As long as they do not do in on duty or represent themselves as police.. And that police department needs cleaning... Chris Cobb and Jamie Bishop were both fired for helping Ricky Tidwell with his election.. Harold made up other reasons but it was for helping Ricky.. Now Harold and Box dont like each other, so that blew up in their face.. Harold allows Red to treat employees like crap because Red is black and the city is scared of him.. Well, Red is a racist pig and needs to be fired.. All them old ass Mayor and alderman need to go and get fresh minds in there just like the County and Dyersburg City..
Little town BS

Lexington, TN

#14 Oct 14, 2012
You must be kidding!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newbern Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
figure it out 17 min Record 230
Tammy S Hipps 2 hr Seriously 2
Milltown denture contest 4 hr wiseman 1
Newbern baseball league 8 hr Clock 7
Fat mexican looking kid stealing stuff in Newbe... Jun 21 dude 1
Carrie Dennison Johnson Jun 21 Rizzo 3
senior comment Jun 19 senior comment 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newbern Mortgages