Obama effigy found hanging on Ore. campus

Officials of a Christian university say a life-size effigy of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama was hung from a tree on the campus. Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Chris

Eden Prairie, MN

#1 Sep 24, 2008
Hmmm. I do not seem to recall any articles related to the numerous times effigies of Pres. Bush were paraded about here in on U.S. campuses.
Why this is newsworthy?
your slip is showing

York, PA

#4 Sep 24, 2008
Hawkhill wrote:
Hey "Chris"...to answer your question..."guess why??"
Let us just hope & PRAY to our CHRISTIAN GOD (not Muhamed/Islamic god) that "No-bama-rama" does NOT get elected.
Capitalizing "CHRISTIAN GOD" and making up names for candidates you don't like won't change the fact that Christians and Muslims pray to the same god.

WTH is "No-bama-rama" supposed to mean, anyway?
Ted

Palo Alto, CA

#5 Sep 24, 2008
your slip is showing wrote:
<quoted text>
Capitalizing "CHRISTIAN GOD" and making up names for candidates you don't like won't change the fact that Christians and Muslims pray to the same god.
WTH is "No-bama-rama" supposed to mean, anyway?
No we don't. Muslims pray to Allah. Allah tells them to kill.
Brooke

San Jose, CA

#6 Sep 24, 2008
Chris wrote:
Hmmm. I do not seem to recall any articles related to the numerous times effigies of Pres. Bush were paraded about here in on U.S. campuses.
Why this is newsworthy?
The race card. A Christian school must mean right wing racist wackos. Could never be just one idiot student.

A Christian Church spewing hatred of America and Bush is okay.

I love the press.

Since: Aug 08

Live in York PA,

#7 Sep 24, 2008
Chris wrote:
Why this is newsworthy?
Bush lied and thousands of people died. He is a war criminal.
TtB

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Sep 24, 2008
What about all the Bush in Nazi uniforms? That's ok, but this isn't? Which is it?
snowman

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Sep 24, 2008
Ted wrote:
<quoted text>
No we don't. Muslims pray to Allah. Allah tells them to kill.
You are an idiot. But even though you are an idiot, you already know that you are an idiot.
Get a Grip

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Sep 24, 2008
Oh boy call out the national guard. Someone disparaged the holy savior.

Lets see how much taxpayer money we can spend and how many federal agencies we can involve to investigate some juvenile prank
The Last Word

Schaumburg, IL

#12 Sep 24, 2008
Chris wrote:
Why this is newsworthy?
True but the issue may be here that Obama's effigy was hanging from a tree, that makes most people a little uncomfy.
But you are right, if this had been some kid running around campus with an Obama effigy, he would have been expelled and not one professor, or free speech group or the ACLU would have come to his defense.
your slip is showing

York, PA

#13 Sep 24, 2008
Ted, stop it before you embarrass yourself. You're not helping Chris (author of the first deleted post)- you're just confirming your own ignorance.

At least the site moderators had the sense to delete the other post (which to be clear was not posted by Ted nor Chris) wishing the actual candidate would suffer the same fate as the effigy. I'm sure the Secret Service would love to have a little chat with that piece of work.
snowman

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Sep 24, 2008
Chris wrote:
Why this is newsworthy?
Can you link to one story where bush was hanged or burned in effigy in this country?
snowman

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Sep 24, 2008
The Last Word wrote:
<quoted text>
True but the issue may be here that Obama's effigy was hanging from a tree, that makes most people a little uncomfy.
But you are right, if this had been some kid running around campus with an Obama effigy, he would have been expelled and not one professor, or free speech group or the ACLU would have come to his defense.
You know that huh? Did you know the ACLU defended larry craig?
this is why

York, PA

#17 Sep 24, 2008
Chris wrote:
Why this is newsworthy?
I'd say this is newsworthy for at least a few reasons:

because "parading about" with an effigy is not the same as hanging one from a tree;
because untold numbers of blacks were similarly hung from trees - not something that historically has been a big problem for whites;
and because it's not a big leap to consider such an action as a threat against a presidential candidate - which as we all know is the sort of action that's likely to get you noticed. You know, as in "newsworthy".

And if you don't recall any articles, how'd you find out about it? I mean, I recall what you're talking about (the effigies of President Bush), and you're right, there have been more than a few.
Know how I found out? Pictures. In articles. Lots of them.
Rad Rethuglican

Saint Cloud, MN

#18 Sep 24, 2008
Nothing like a symbolic lynching story to go along with an article about how white people won't vote for Obama because of his race. Ahh America, land of the free, home of the lynchers.
Rudolph Rassendale

Southwest Brevard Cnty, FL

#19 Sep 24, 2008
snowman wrote:
<quoted text>
THAT shows you how sick THEY are!
LMFAO!
The Last Word

Schaumburg, IL

#20 Sep 24, 2008
snowman wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you link to one story where bush was hanged or burned in effigy in this country?
I'm on a college campus, which incident do you want to hear about?
The Last Word

Schaumburg, IL

#21 Sep 24, 2008
snowman wrote:
<quoted text>
Was my post about Larry Craig and an effigy of Obama?
Nope, try harder, ok?
Are you serious

Saint Paul, MN

#22 Sep 24, 2008
Chris wrote:
Why this is newsworthy?
I hope you're kidding.
peterclarke

Toronto, Canada

#23 Sep 24, 2008
Forget about this nonsense, the facts for all are with the Senate not approving s190 in 2005.

Never again should anyone consider voting for Democrats, based on this fact alone.

Both Democrats and Republicans were aware of this mess and this bail out would not be necessary if the Senate had passed S190 back in 2005.
Alan Greenspan told Congress to act in the clearest possible terms. He said.``We are placing the total financial system of the future at a substantial risk.”

“What happened next was extraordinary. For the first time in history, a serious reform bill was passed by the Senate Banking Committee. The bill gave a regulator power to crack down, and would have required companies to eliminate their investments in risky assets”.

The bill didn't become law as Democrats opposed it on a party-line vote in the committee, signaling that this would be a partisan issue.

That Democrat Senate roadblock in 2005 is unforgivable, as the people lost.

A look back to 2005 and we all will see what’s worth keeping in mind while Democrats point fingers between now and Nov. 4.

Senator John McCain was one of the three cosponsors of S.190, the bill that WOULD HAVE AVERTED THIS MESS. Keep smiling……
Frank the Racist

Saint Paul, MN

#24 Sep 24, 2008
frank fooney wrote:
Are they sure it was supposed to be OBAMA, i wouldn't think this kind of thing could happen in liberal, politically correct Oregon. Sure they didn't mistake the effigy with Michael Jackson or Alfalfa?
Racists like you ARE the problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newberg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man who took upskirt photos of 13-year-old girl... Feb 8 Lisa Georgette 1
Suspected burglar falls through ceiling, lands ... Jan '15 Abrahammock Regions 1
Naked violinist sues over arrest in Portland la... Jan '15 Rev Don Wildmoan 3
Woman accused of theft through an online saddle... (Sep '12) Dec '14 just me 17
steve Wilson (someone deleted the first) Dec '14 yeshesabitch 1
Jehovah's Witnesses under fire from former cong... Dec '14 BetheljudgmentDan... 9
Review: Commercial Plumbing Services (Aug '12) Nov '14 Leachmark707 4
Newberg Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Newberg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:36 pm PST

NFL 7:36PM
Oakland Raiders to release Tyvon Branch