Dec. 31 editorial: Firearm safety 101...

Dec. 31 editorial: Firearm safety 101 -- It's always loaded

There are 31 comments on the The Newberg Graphic story from Dec 31, 2011, titled Dec. 31 editorial: Firearm safety 101 -- It's always loaded. In it, The Newberg Graphic reports that:

Today's front page story, headlined "Teen arrested after shooting friend Tuesday," provides a cautionary tale about firearms and their proper use.   According to police, a 20-year-old Newberg woman was shot in the abdomen when she handed a rifle to her friend and he pulled the trigger, believing the weapon was unloaded.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Newberg Graphic.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#21 Jan 4, 2012
Highlander wrote:
<quoted text>
Personal indiscretions serve to remind us that no man is perfect.
Well okay, maybe I am ...
;o)
Not true. I remember when you posted a comment where you thought you were in error.

Turned out you were mistaken.

Heh heh

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#22 Jan 4, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Having worked in a gun store Iíve seen firsthand what happens with idiots carrying guns. Most gun stores prohibit loaded weapons in the store with good reason. Thatís not to say if I knew someone was carrying concealed or open I nor anyone else there would object despite the rule. Now, if they took it out to show someone they were asked to store their weapon in their vehicle or leave.
Itís when people begin handling the loaded weapon it becomes a potential problem. More than once a customer discharged an ďunloadedĒ weapon in the store. One afternoon a guy came in with a shotgun. When it was requested we clear the shotgun he stated it wasnít loaded and pulled the trigger blowing a hole through the roof. He of course was asked to leave and never return. At least that bozo pulled the trigger in a safe direction. Two of the idiots were cops, I would expect a bit better from them.
Out in public I will not unholster my weapon for any reason unless I intend to use it. Itís loaded and a round is in the chamber. If someone asks me what Iím carrying I will tell them but I will not show it off. Even though Iím very proficient with a variety of firearms safety is always the first concern. Iíve never had an unintentional discharge and would like to keep that intact.
No, people shouldnít be permitted to unholster loaded firearms in public without valid reason. Once again, I suggested a small fine, nothing more. Itís a safety issue.
You're a shrewd bargainer, but I prefer that people that do very stupid things in public get a day in the "stocks".
It gives an unmistakable message.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stocks

Since: Oct 11

Austin, Texas

#23 Jan 4, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
I would expect a reply such as this from Richard_. Who is going to carry a rifle or shotgun as their defense weapon in public?
Now? Californians. Since they can't carry openly handguns and concealed permits are almost impossible to get. Rifles and shotguns are the only option they have left.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#24 Jan 4, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Having worked in a gun store Iíve seen firsthand what happens with idiots carrying guns. Most gun stores prohibit loaded weapons in the store with good reason. Thatís not to say if I knew someone was carrying concealed or open I nor anyone else there would object despite the rule. Now, if they took it out to show someone they were asked to store their weapon in their vehicle or leave.
Itís when people begin handling the loaded weapon it becomes a potential problem. More than once a customer discharged an ďunloadedĒ weapon in the store. One afternoon a guy came in with a shotgun. When it was requested we clear the shotgun he stated it wasnít loaded and pulled the trigger blowing a hole through the roof. He of course was asked to leave and never return. At least that bozo pulled the trigger in a safe direction. Two of the idiots were cops, I would expect a bit better from them.
Out in public I will not unholster my weapon for any reason unless I intend to use it. Itís loaded and a round is in the chamber. If someone asks me what Iím carrying I will tell them but I will not show it off. Even though Iím very proficient with a variety of firearms safety is always the first concern. Iíve never had an unintentional discharge and would like to keep that intact.
No, people shouldnít be permitted to unholster loaded firearms in public without valid reason. Once again, I suggested a small fine, nothing more. Itís a safety issue.
Your post reminds me of a couple of instances of idiots with firearms. The first was about 25 years ago when the police started to switch over to pistols from revolvers in droves. I was in the business office of a friend when one of the local cops came in. I noticed that the Model 10 Smith & Wesson was gone and a pistol was in it's place. When I remarked about the change the cop was all too ready to display his knowledge of his new sidearm. We were in a 4th floor office overlooking a busy street when the cop pulled out his new pistol and started demonstrating it's features. He dropped the magazine from the magazine well when he pushed the release button and then racked the slide to remove the round from the chamber. He then decided to show us how easy it was to strip the weapon.... He pulled the slide back halfway and hit the latch to take it apart.... The slide flipped out of his hand onto the floor and a large compression spring flew out the window to land in the back of a pickup truck driving past!!! The look on his face was priceless as my friend and I broke into uncontrolled laughter. I don't know if he ever got the spring back but we roared until we almost pissed ourselves.

The 2nd was in a gun shop where a guy brought in an Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer 12 gauge shotgun that had belonged to his father. The guy procedes to pull the trigger on an empty chamber which was bad enough but he kept his finger on the trigger and pumped the slide..... There was a slug in the magazine tube which fired as he closed the chamber!! The sound was deafening and the slug went into a rack of guns behind the counter blowing a hole in the stock of a shotgun standing in the rack. I left the store right after that display of stupidity never to return.

Sometimes you can't fix stupid...

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#25 Jan 5, 2012
Charlie in Austin wrote:
<quoted text>
Now? Californians. Since they can't carry openly handguns and concealed permits are almost impossible to get. Rifles and shotguns are the only option they have left.
Only if I can get a holster for my SP-10.

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#26 Jan 5, 2012
Have Seen It Before wrote:
<quoted text>Your post reminds me of a couple of instances of idiots with firearms. The first was about 25 years ago when the police started to switch over to pistols from revolvers in droves. I was in the business office of a friend when one of the local cops came in. I noticed that the Model 10 Smith & Wesson was gone and a pistol was in it's place. When I remarked about the change the cop was all too ready to display his knowledge of his new sidearm. We were in a 4th floor office overlooking a busy street when the cop pulled out his new pistol and started demonstrating it's features. He dropped the magazine from the magazine well when he pushed the release button and then racked the slide to remove the round from the chamber. He then decided to show us how easy it was to strip the weapon.... He pulled the slide back halfway and hit the latch to take it apart.... The slide flipped out of his hand onto the floor and a large compression spring flew out the window to land in the back of a pickup truck driving past!!! The look on his face was priceless as my friend and I broke into uncontrolled laughter. I don't know if he ever got the spring back but we roared until we almost pissed ourselves.
The 2nd was in a gun shop where a guy brought in an Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer 12 gauge shotgun that had belonged to his father. The guy procedes to pull the trigger on an empty chamber which was bad enough but he kept his finger on the trigger and pumped the slide..... There was a slug in the magazine tube which fired as he closed the chamber!! The sound was deafening and the slug went into a rack of guns behind the counter blowing a hole in the stock of a shotgun standing in the rack. I left the store right after that display of stupidity never to return.
Sometimes you can't fix stupid...
Intelligence seems to go out the window when someone wants to show off.

“Si vis pacem, para bellum !!”

Since: Dec 07

Southeast Virginia

#27 Jan 5, 2012
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Intelligence seems to go out the window when someone wants to show off.
Many a funeral have been preceded by the words "Hey y'all...watch this."

Location hidden

#28 Jan 5, 2012
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Many a funeral have been preceded by the words "Hey y'all...watch this."
That or "Hold my beer, I have a good idea".....

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

#29 Jan 5, 2012
<quoted text>That or "Hold my beer, I have a good idea".....
You neglected to put a 'regional' accent on that!
Here, The Noo Ingland accent: "Heeyah, hold my beeyah, I have a good ideeyah"...
Or, the Central States accent: "Heeer, hold my beeer, I have a reeeely good eyedeer"...
;o)

Location hidden

#30 Jan 5, 2012
Highlander wrote:
<quoted text>
You neglected to put a 'regional' accent on that!
Here, The Noo Ingland accent: "Heeyah, hold my beeyah, I have a good ideeyah"...
Or, the Central States accent: "Heeer, hold my beeer, I have a reeeely good eyedeer"...
;o)
Do you play banjo as well as bag pipes?

“Tu ne cede malis”

Since: Dec 06

Lots of different places

#31 Jan 6, 2012
<quoted text>Do you play banjo as well as bag pipes?
As a matter of fact ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newberg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dog Abuse Near Coffee Stand and Arco in Dundee Jun '17 animallivesmatter 1
Grey/silver dodge neon (May '17) May '17 Shorty 1
Surgery Center at Tanasbourne (May '17) May '17 news 1
News Man leads police on high-speed chase in stolen ... (Mar '17) Mar '17 Evilgelicalling 5
Hows living in Hillsboro? (Feb '17) Feb '17 Maybe Hillsboro Cit 1
People of Newberg (Sep '08) Aug '16 Newberg or police 2
News Local crews battle flames, save homes in Easter... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Umm Duhh 2

Newberg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newberg Mortgages