Oregon religious university says 4 st...

Oregon religious university says 4 students confessed to hangin...

There are 4 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Oct 1, 2008, titled Oregon religious university says 4 students confessed to hangin.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

George Fox University broke the news to students and staff Tuesday afternoon at an all-campus meeting.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

fuller schmidt

Stevensville, MI

#1 Oct 1, 2008
Get it? Christian Fundamentalists defended slavery as biblically ordained and long for those good old days, their "pious" facades notwithstanding. Democracy on the other hand means living by the golden rule if you think it through thoroughly.
Taxpayer

Pleasanton, CA

#2 Oct 1, 2008
If this were John McCain being burned in effigy along with an American flag at an all black college; they would be rejoicing in the freedom of their god given right to free speach.

Mustn’t dis the anointed one.
fuller schmidt

Stevensville, MI

#3 Oct 2, 2008
Taxpayer wrote:
If this were John McCain being burned in effigy along with an American flag at an all black college; they would be rejoicing in the freedom of their god given right to free speach.
Mustn’t dis the anointed one.

Very civilized response: two wrongs make a right. The only problem is that only one event actually took place; the other is from paranoid imagination. And trust me, if you need to be given your rights, you'll never be free.
Palin Boy

United States

#4 Oct 2, 2008
Really? In a society of free speech and racial parity, burning an effigy should be considered either right or wrong outside the context of race or religion. There are many occasions where I have been flipping between news channels and seen images of protesters in the street burning an effigy of George Bush or Sheriff Joe Arpaio, but some of you people obviously think that Barak OBama is somehow off limits.
When Bill Clinton visited India back in 2000, protesters burned his effigy and chanted "Death to Bill Clinton!". Why; because he's America?
Also in India, angry crowds in cities across the country burned an effigy of Richard Gere after he kissed a popular Bollywood actress on the cheek at an AIDS-awareness event. Bollywood actresses get kissed in film, but if it's an American white guy doing the kissing, then I guess that's somehow diffferent. Does this make Indians racist?
Seriously folks, can we at least try to come up with a hard and fast rule regarding the burning of effigies; something not rooted in race, religion, or politics, something that we can apply across the board consistently without exclusions?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newberg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Pharmacy auditor' steals pills (Nov '11) Jun '16 James 2
Police Chief (Nov '08) Jun '16 James 2
Review: PDX Home Care Apr '16 kristinmedica 1
News 4 Oregon companies doing milk the old-school way Feb '16 JANE 1
Free Open Enrollment Events (Jan '16) Jan '16 Diane F 1
News Diversity Cafe, Chop Shop XOXO Salon, open in d... (Dec '15) Dec '15 CoachShiley 1
News Local crews battle flames, save homes in Easter... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Umm Duhh 2

Newberg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Newberg Mortgages