Obama Hung In Effigy At Christian Campus

Full story: NBC 5 Chicago

A Christian university in Oregon said Tuesday it has punished four students who confessed to hanging a likeness of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama from a tree on campus.
Comments
1 - 20 of 76 Comments Last updated Oct 12, 2008
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
emen

United States

#1 Oct 1, 2008
Is this what they learned at this Christian college?
TBA

United States

#2 Oct 1, 2008
Guess this is what they teach at this Christian college. Also unfortunately there are still some people who judge people by the color of their skin or their race. Like some Republican who still trying to push the lie of Obama is a Muslim and if he is elected then he will help terrorist. Then there are some Christian who think other religion is root of evil and if they are not Christian then they are condemn to hell and those religion are violent. But I question that what about the Christian during the Medieval Ages who rage war on other religion to force them to convert, if not they would be killed.

Since: May 08

Philly

#3 Oct 1, 2008
Nice...
Im sure that somewhere in their bible this is perfectly within their religious rights.
I mean after all, this is exactly the thing Jesus would do. So much for treat others as you would want to be treated.
Floyd

Grand Prairie, TX

#4 Oct 1, 2008
TBA wrote:
Guess this is what they teach at this Christian college. Also unfortunately there are still some people who judge people by the color of their skin or their race. Like some Republican who still trying to push the lie of Obama is a Muslim and if he is elected then he will help terrorist. Then there are some Christian who think other religion is root of evil and if they are not Christian then they are condemn to hell and those religion are violent. But I question that what about the Christian during the Medieval Ages who rage war on other religion to force them to convert, if not they would be killed.
Why bring Republicans into this? This is not only a civil rights violation, but also should be considered a hate crime. No where in the article does it state what political party they're associated with or if they're even associated with one.
Floyd

Grand Prairie, TX

#5 Oct 1, 2008
WellWellWell08 wrote:
Nice...
Im sure that somewhere in their bible this is perfectly within their religious rights.
I mean after all, this is exactly the thing Jesus would do. So much for treat others as you would want to be treated.
I don't know what version of the bible they have, but no where in my versions does it say they have religious rights to do something like this.
Scargosun

Wynnewood, PA

#6 Oct 1, 2008
While I do realize not all Christians are like this. The far right wing is FILLED with the so called "Christian Coalition." This is why people equate racist 'Christians' with Republicans. I am not saying it's correct but...if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck...
theusual

Batavia, IL

#9 Oct 1, 2008
Ron wrote:
"A message taped to the cutout read, "Act Six reject." That refers to a scholarship and leadership program for minority and low-income student leaders at Christian colleges primarily located in the Northwest.
Felton wouldn't comment on the students' motive. Instead he cited a statement from Brad Lau, the university's vice president of student life.
"Regardless of the students' intent blahblahblah"
All the Libs in Education and the Lib Media see is this silly stunt while ignoring the discriminatory program which triggered it. Such discriminatory Afformative Action programs create racial resentment and racism.
Liberal social engineering always backfires. Liberalism always backfires and causes more harm than good.
so true
Floyd

Grand Prairie, TX

#10 Oct 1, 2008
Scargosun wrote:
While I do realize not all Christians are like this. The far right wing is FILLED with the so called "Christian Coalition." This is why people equate racist 'Christians' with Republicans. I am not saying it's correct but...if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck...
I agree, the far right wing is filled with racist Christians, but to equate them with Republicans is wrong. They are in both parties. Just because these individuals go to a Christian school does not make them a christian. There are probably more non-christians attending Christian schools then attending. It was wrong in what they did Christian or non-christian.
A Hawn-Key

Elmer, NJ

#11 Oct 1, 2008
no, not at a christian campus!!! but christians are such tolerant people, who always see the good in others...oh wait...
Worthwhile Human Being

Springfield, IL

#12 Oct 1, 2008
Is This What Jesus Would Do?
He, the innocent one, the one and only Son of God our Father, came down from heaven, and submitted to His Father's wishes, and WILLINGLY ALLOWED HIMSELF to be nailed to a wooden cross and staked to the ground, and GAVE HIMSELF UP TO GOD.
He did this, in order to gain forgiveness from God for the sins of man.
I suppose that you believe that what you did was "the right thing to do" because you believe SO STRONGLY that the ordinary human being, Barack Hussein Obama man IS EVIL, and that his murder will be justified.
Or perhaps you might have been thinking, "Hey, I think it would be "funny" to hang this cardboard effigy of Barack Obama from a tree. Maybe it'll make a few people angry! Let's do it!"
Is that it? Or is it the first one?
The first one means that you've been brainwashed by your right-wing, conservative parents, community and church, into believing that YOUR WAY is the RIGHT WAY and any other way is EVIL.
The second one means that you're a worthwhile human being, with faults and imperfections, JUST LIKE EVERY HUMAN BEING, BARACK OBAMA AND JOHN MCCAIN INCLUDED.
I do sincerely hope and pray that it is the second one, because extremists from any angle or belief system have a one-sided view of the world, its problems and its solutions. You know-people like Hitler, who believed that killing all of the Jews was going to help Germany be the rightful nation to rule the world. And we know how well that turned out, right?
Please learn from your mistakes. I'm sure that you are, like Mr. Obaman, a worthwhile human being.
Simon

New Port Richey, FL

#13 Oct 1, 2008
also found in their possesion was a copy of Delivance in a box titled "Young Republicans initiation material"
OC Girl

North Hollywood, CA

#14 Oct 1, 2008
This is sad story. Just because students attend a christian school doesn't make them christians. You can park yourself in a garage, but that doesn't make you a car.

Only God knows for sure on people's spritual life, but there are people who are very ignorant of what the Bible says is right or don't care cause they are letting their feelings rule them.
chitown lady

Chicago, IL

#15 Oct 1, 2008
DISGUSTING......So much for a Christian College. This College should be fined. How DISGUSTING! Is this what this country is coming to...Have we now gone back to the 1950's....... My God! Seeing and hearing about this makes me ashamed to be a human being. What were these racial morons thinking......How sad.....

Since: May 08

Philly

#16 Oct 1, 2008
Floyd wrote:
<quoted text> I don't know what version of the bible they have, but no where in my versions does it say they have religious rights to do something like this.
Exactly....

Since: May 08

Philly

#17 Oct 1, 2008
Ron wrote:
"A message taped to the cutout read, "Act Six reject." That refers to a scholarship and leadership program for minority and low-income student leaders at Christian colleges primarily located in the Northwest.
Felton wouldn't comment on the students' motive. Instead he cited a statement from Brad Lau, the university's vice president of student life.
"Regardless of the students' intent blahblahblah"
All the Libs in Education and the Lib Media see is this silly stunt while ignoring the discriminatory program which triggered it. Such discriminatory Afformative Action programs create racial resentment and racism.
Liberal social engineering always backfires. Liberalism always backfires and causes more harm than good.
So that gives them the right to be racist...sorry it doesn't work that way... there are NO excuses for this type of behavior, its demening, ignorant and insulting, just like your comment that they are justified in their actions.
You making an excuse for them is just plain old pathetic.
chitown lady

Chicago, IL

#18 Oct 1, 2008
theusual wrote:
<quoted text>
so true
So, is society suppose to dismiss these racist students actions???????
Why? Enough if this garbage. Just goes to show you what a Christian College is all about.....Teaching HATE ! Good going......
Name appears on your post

Guilford, CT

#20 Oct 1, 2008
What's the deal? The crowd hung past governor Weicker effigy when he signed the bill for starting a state income tax right on the capital lawn.
Dan--Joliet

United States

#24 Oct 1, 2008
Maybe it wasn't racial---Maybe they hung a political figure ??
It ain't racial til you make it racial
If it was the other guy hung,would it
be pointed towards the elderly ?
Or if it was Bush,would it be about
southern people ?
Joyce Schaumburg IL

Elk Grove Village, IL

#25 Oct 1, 2008
Free speech is one thing, but hate crime is the only thing that really fits this dispicable act. Prosecution is certainly appropriate the the perpetrators. The perpetrators are disgusting.

I applaud the university for taking action thus far, but their job isn't over. In fact, it has just begun. Subsequent actions that should be taken are:

Realize that any institution of that size cannot get that many racists by "luck of the draw." Statistically, it defies probability. Logically, it defies believability.

Review, learn from, and scrap current admissions policies and personnel that managed to facilitate the accumulation of so many hateful, bigoted, small-minded individuals in one institution. This was not an "accident," but rather a result of institutional "dog whistle" recruitment that appealed to the worst common denominator in the American population. Forget trying to find the guilty party or parties. This is too big to be going on by random occurrence.

Live by the Christian ideals espoused in you charter and pray that the God that we worship is, indeed, merciful and forgiving.

Recognize that the word "pro-life" doesn't mean what it has come to mean in American society. It's true meaning has many layers and implications, which include the fundamental respect for others that Jesus meant when he said that the greatest Commandments were, "Love God and love one another."
Dan

Flemington, NJ

#28 Oct 1, 2008
Dan--Joliet wrote:
Maybe it wasn't racial---Maybe they hung a political figure ??
It ain't racial til you make it racial
If it was the other guy hung,would it
be pointed towards the elderly ?
Or if it was Bush,would it be about
southern people ?
Except it became racial when they incorporated Act Six into it. Then it became an issue of race, not politics.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newberg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OR Who do you support for Governor in Oregon in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 23 We Hate Coos Bay ... 204
Trimet survey results; tools catch fire in Tiga... Jul '14 mrgotrocks 1
Transgender student to appeal housing ruling Jul '14 TerryE 1
Woman accused of theft through an online saddle... (Sep '12) Apr '14 anonamous 16
No damage in Sherwood quakes, but neighbors rev... Apr '14 crazy 1
looking in newberg Apr '14 whogirl 1
OR Who do you support for Treasurer in Oregon in 2... (Oct '10) Mar '14 whatdoudo 19
•••
•••

Newberg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Newberg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Newberg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Newberg
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••