Ethical Issues In Workplace, And Ways...

Ethical Issues In Workplace, And Ways To Handle Them

There are 12 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Dec 31, 2007, titled Ethical Issues In Workplace, And Ways To Handle Them. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

A new year might make you wonder how you could improve your work life, particularly if you've encountered an ethical problem.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

New Math

Boston, MA

#1 Dec 31, 2007
I've read this several times trying to make the numbers add up, but they don't seem to. Can you clarify?

"In fact, ERC finds that 54 percent of employees didn't report, out of a sense of futility."

"ERC considers the 12 percent of people who don't report "significant." "
Old Math

Geneseo, NY

#2 Jan 1, 2008
So here is a real Ethical Issue in the workplace : 2 co-workers are having an affair. The have been seen going in and out of private areas while on company time. When the leave the private area, it is obvious that there has been "activities" occurring... ie red face, sweat on the forehead, clothing in disarray. They have been overheard making plans to meet-up after work. They were witnessed in a compromising position in a public parking lot while performing one of these clandestine meetings.

Both these co-workers are married. The spouses don't know about the affair, but have meet each "signaficant other" and don't like/trust the other person, and most likely suspect something is happening behind their backs.

The 2 employees' supervisor has been made aware of the situation, but basically denies any knowledge of it, and is keeping the "denial ability ticket" in his back pocket.

What would you do ?

EBB

Since: Mar 07

Ct

#3 Jan 1, 2008
Old Math wrote:
So here is a real Ethical Issue in the workplace : 2 co-workers are having an affair. The have been seen going in and out of private areas while on company time. When the leave the private area, it is obvious that there has been "activities" occurring... ie red face, sweat on the forehead, clothing in disarray. They have been overheard making plans to meet-up after work. They were witnessed in a compromising position in a public parking lot while performing one of these clandestine meetings.
Both these co-workers are married. The spouses don't know about the affair, but have meet each "signaficant other" and don't like/trust the other person, and most likely suspect something is happening behind their backs.
The 2 employees' supervisor has been made aware of the situation, but basically denies any knowledge of it, and is keeping the "denial ability ticket" in his back pocket.
What would you do ?
I would mind my own business.
Dina Beach Lynch

Somerville, MA

#4 Jan 4, 2008
Companies that wish to effectively manage ethical lapses can create both formal and informal channels for employees to report incidents, seek advice and define solutions.

One way to do that is to develop an Ombudsman function. As an independent, impartial, confidential resource for workplace issues, an Ombuds allows a company to be responsive and responsible. It's an informal channel for employees to share information and concerns with management. Having an Ombuds sends the message to employees that their input and knowledge is important and will be taken seriously.

Companies with populations over ten thousand and small offices of less than 20 can benefit from from introducing an part-time Ombuds to their workplaces.

Dina Beach Lynch
External Ombuds/Program Designer
Kisima Enterprises, Inc
Boston, MA

EBB

Since: Mar 07

Ct

#5 Jan 4, 2008
Dina Beach Lynch wrote:
Companies that wish to effectively manage ethical lapses can create both formal and informal channels for employees to report incidents, seek advice and define solutions.
One way to do that is to develop an Ombudsman function. As an independent, impartial, confidential resource for workplace issues, an Ombuds allows a company to be responsive and responsible. It's an informal channel for employees to share information and concerns with management. Having an Ombuds sends the message to employees that their input and knowledge is important and will be taken seriously.
Companies with populations over ten thousand and small offices of less than 20 can benefit from from introducing an part-time Ombuds to their workplaces.
Dina Beach Lynch
Kisima Enterprises, Inc
Boston, MA
And if the company is paying the Ombudsman, why would worker bees think it's "impartial"?
jane

Crawley, UK

#6 Oct 8, 2008
i think ethical issues need to be made more aware to employees and personally i think drugs should be allowed within the work place.
GEO

United States

#7 Oct 8, 2008
EBB wrote:
<quoted text>
That was my first thought.
GEO

United States

#8 Oct 8, 2008
Dina Beach Lynch wrote:
Dina Beach Lynch
Kisima Enterprises, Inc
Boston, MA
Problem is politics in the office. Look how many people have been tossed out as Disgruntled ex-employees. The list goes on,There is no Govt protection for non Govt workers. You are dismissed as a troublemaker.
roopal s j

Bangalore, India

#9 Jan 8, 2009
I would tell dem to keep all such outside the organisation.....
roopal s j

Bangalore, India

#10 Jan 8, 2009
i would tell them not to keep such things in the organisation...... As it looks awkward........
ashley cole

Singapore

#11 Jan 16, 2009
i will put video cam inside their private areas so we can share the good things to the whole organisation. This is a win-win situation. Don't you think so? Just kidding.=)
prince

San Francisco, CA

#12 Sep 1, 2010
EBB wrote:
<quoted text>
you're stupi!! i would report it to human resources. or get it out to someone who is incharge of fireing their asses! lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newark Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Britney Marie DeWeaver Apr 20 Annalee123 1
News Shortsville sauerkraut, pickle plant to close Mar '18 Sauerkraut on eve... 2
News 'Sopranos' prequel film in the works with David... Mar '18 Bada Bing 1
News Wayne County drug investigation yields four arr... (Sep '09) Mar '18 JohnnyAppled 38
Clover Crossings Apartment Complex Becoming maj... (Dec '14) Feb '18 Frankie 14
scott Ide Caught molesting children again Feb '18 Roger 1
News Disbarred New Rochelle Attorney gets more than ... (Jul '16) Jan '18 Hookers in Congress 7

Newark Jobs

Personal Finance

Newark Mortgages