Questions For Katharine Jefferts Schori

Jul 22, 2012 Full story: Time 54

Rough waters aren't new to Katharine Jefferts Schori, 52, a former oceanographer who is the Presiding Bishop-elect of the Episcopal Church of the U.S.A. Bishop Katharine, as she's known, takes over a denomination rocked by controversy at home and abroad for its liberal stance ...

Full Story

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#21 Jul 25, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Perversion Muddled Way, perversion.
It is a simple thing, George. You and Joe are obsessing about what you believe is sin; especially the sins of others.

You don't need to involve yourself in these obsessions. Joe tries to find grounds for condemnation based on how many times in a conversation a disciple of Christ makes direct reference to Christ. You are trying to justify your need to be critical of another's faith in Christ Jesus by defining what you believe to be sin, in order to find sin in others.

"...and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple - truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward."

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#22 Jul 25, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Perversion Muddled Way, perversion.
Uh huh.

Matt. 5:

41 “Then he will say to those on his left,‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply,‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#23 Jul 25, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a simple thing, George. You and Joe are obsessing about what you believe is sin; especially the sins of others ...
Once again, you're trying to dodge the subject with your "red herring" posts; it's past time for you and TEC to face this:

"What will be your focus as head of the U.S. church?

"Our focus needs to be on feeding people who go to bed hungry, on providing primary education to girls and boys, on healing people with AIDS, on addressing tuberculosis and malaria, on sustainable development. That ought to be the primary focus."

As I posted, the Gospel of Jesus Christ ought to be the primary focus, but it didn't even rate honerable mention with Schori, and you refuse to deal with it, i.e., you're in "denial".

The Mountain Empire

#24 Jul 26, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, you're trying to dodge the subject with your "red herring" posts; it's past time for you and TEC to face this:
"Our focus needs to be on feeding people who go to bed hungry, on providing primary education to girls and boys, on healing people with AIDS, on addressing tuberculosis and malaria, on sustainable development. That ought to be the primary focus."
As I posted, the Gospel of Jesus Christ ought to be the primary focus, but it didn't even rate honerable mention with Schori, and you refuse to deal with it, i.e., you're in "denial".
I don't recall the romans playing the 'saved' card, you know the 'accept Jesus as your personal Savior after repenting' bit.

That's not so bad if they got off their holier than thou asses afterward and DID something Jesus commanded.

I know you have a screwed up idea of what a follower of Jesus does but SHEESH!, this takes the cake!

Still burying your talent.

Faith and fear are opposites......

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#25 Jul 26, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't recall the romans playing the 'saved' card ...
This isn't the romans forum, so it's yet another dodge to avoid the following:

As I have repeatedly posted, the Gospel of Jesus Christ ought to be the primary focus, but it didn't even rate honerable mention with Schori.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#26 Jul 27, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
But do you think He meant to spread that sickness to the rest of the church as well?
What are you attempting to say in this statement? Did Christ Jesus healing or visiting the sick make Him a sinner or to a faith that had not yet been defines.'Christianity' didn't exist during the life of Christ Jesus. The Church was born on Pentecost. Or are you saying Christ Jesus did these ‘evil’ things to deceive people?

I wish we had a clear statement of your faith so we would be able to understand your statements. We always share ours with you when we quote scripture or our Baptismal Covenant. You may not like either source but that is your problem not ours. At least we offer a clear statement of our faith.

How interesting that the anti-TEC gang never offers us a clear statement or summary of their own faith. We apparently are to share their personal ‘revelations’ without the need to see, hear or experience them ourselves. Magic Pure Magic
Geroge

Jacksonville, FL

#27 Jul 27, 2012
T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you attempting to say in this statement?
Sorry that you can't follow the thread but that comes as no surprise.
George

Jacksonville, FL

#28 Jul 27, 2012
T McCabe wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish we had a clear statement of your faith so we would be able to understand your statements.
I have said it numerous times in the past and will oblige you again. I am an Evangelical Christian. I understand Scripture in light of the life, minstry, death and resurrection of our Lord. Doing my part in obeying The Great Commission is my primary focus.
Listen to the Word

Kingman, AZ

#29 Jul 27, 2012
It is true that Jesus mentioned the poor (both promoting justice for the poor as well as admitting "The poor you always have with you"), healing the sick, educating his people, etc. He did so without asking for government, community support or changes in the laws of the Roman Empire or conforming to the mores of his world. The church should be active in such endeavors under the same conditions. As Paul said, "Do good to all people, especially those of the household of faith."

However, when Jesus left this earth and gave his disciples their working orders, he did not mention these things specifically. The priority and essence of Christian ministry is to "make disciples of all nations" through baptizing in the name of the Triune God and teaching everything Jesus commanded.

The way the disciples understood this and carried it out are recorded in the Acts of the Apostles. They preached the gospel, defended the purity of Christ's doctrine, and did charitable works like gathering the offering to help the mother church in Jerusalem during a famine. The clearest picture of the understanding and implementation of the Great Commission is recorded at the end of Acts 2.
TEC, and all churches, can learn a lot from studying the Acts of the Apostles as the way to carry out the Great Commission.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#30 Jul 28, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
I have said it numerous times in the past and will oblige you again. I am an Evangelical Christian. I understand Scripture in light of the life, minstry, death and resurrection of our Lord. Doing my part in obeying The Great Commission is my primary focus.
I am also an evangelical Christian with a powerful Pentecostal preference. Happy to know you stand for something. You can take the great commission (is that a cash bonus?) I will take the new Commandment to Love on another. I also stand by my Baptismal Covenant as written in the TEC Book of Common Prayer.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#31 Jul 28, 2012
T McCabe wrote:
... I also stand by my Baptismal Covenant as written in the TEC Book of Common Prayer.
Doesn't that make you a book-worshipping idolater, a charge you have often accused us of?

The Mountain Empire

#32 Jul 29, 2012
Love one another as I have loved you - Jesus

And

37 He told him,“‘You are to love Adonai your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.’[a] 38 This is the greatest and most important mitzvah. 39 And a second is similar to it,‘You are to love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All of the Torah and the Prophets are dependent on these two mitzvot.”

I think the word has been spread, now it's time to prove you have the Love....

The Mountain Empire

#33 Jul 29, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't that make you a book-worshipping idolater, a charge you have often accused us of?
No, those words written in a book are not her god.

They are an expression of her commitment, her promise to love and to act as a child of God, as fresh and clean as the day she was born....

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#34 Jul 29, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
No. That makes T McCabe a person who values his/her word;
A person who believes in the real live presence of the Holy Spirit;
A person who regards the Grace of the Christian Way and the experience of the Pentacostal fire to be absolutely, positively a real event in the life of a mystic Christian.

A disciple of the real, live Christ Jesus.

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#35 Jul 29, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
No. That makes T McCabe a person who values his/her word ...
... at the expense of God's Word.

The Mountain Empire

#36 Jul 30, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
... at the expense of God's Word.
Nah, the Spirit guides us, not mistranslated rewritten ink.

That throws you off every time.......

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#37 Jul 30, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah, the Spirit guides us ...
... into Chapter 11?

The Mountain Empire

#38 Jul 30, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
... into Chapter 11?
Nope, into FAITH....
George

Jacksonville, FL

#39 Jul 30, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, into FAITH....
And all you have to do is say it - there is no testing it as against anything whereas more conservative/traditional Christians would say that any "revelation" has to be tested against Scripture and if it cannot be solidly rooted in it - it isn't a revelation at all. Your approach negates the existence of any Truth whether it is found in the Creeds or a baptismal covenant or anywhere else. As long as someone can say it is God speaking today to His church, it maust be acceptable. As long as it is "true" for whomever claims it, the rest of us should acknowledge it as such?

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#40 Jul 30, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, into FAITH....
Faith doesn't lead to bankupcy, both moral and financial.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Newark Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 min Frijoles 71,030
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr melody colombus 19,556
Bradley Stone cleared by Veterans Affairs docto... Dec 18 cletusbrown 1
Let all Religions of the world come together.... Dec 16 peace on earth 1
Lets End Congress Dec 13 Obama wears BLACK... 2
Newark activists call on Obama to visit Ferguson Dec 13 Obama wears BLACK... 1
The Children's Shelter behind Geriatric Center ... (Nov '13) Dec 13 Recognise This Story 134

Newark News Video

Newark Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Newark People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Newark News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Newark

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:44 am PST