It's the Big Apple -- on a stick: Re-creating the Fair experience i...

Katie Youtsos and Jen Wise , both University of Minnesota grads living in Manhattan, eat corn on the cob -- on a stick -- in New York City during Minnesota State Fair Day 2009. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SwatNShovel

Rockford, IL

#23 Aug 23, 2010
1. Great Job for bringing a touch of Minnesota to NYC. If it works for you, brings fun to you, brings comraderie to you, go forth and spread the Minnesota great get together. If I read the figures correct the first year you had 10 folks show up and this year 70. Success speaks for itself.

2. As far as the political idiots who go around injecting thier views into any topic, do the Minnesota thing. Feel sorry for them because they have nothing better to do then sitting in front of a computer spewing out whatever comes out of their limited intellect. Oh, gotta be Minnesota nice, thier 'challenged' intellect which of course has to be society's fault somewhere along the line.
Laura Carter

Eatontown, NJ

#24 Aug 23, 2010
I appreciate that this article has been receiving feedback. I'm one of the organizers from the Minnesota State Fair Day in NYC. Just wanted to say that we had over 70 attendees this year, 30 of which were not originally from Minnesota and I'm sure our attendance was negatively affected because of the severe thunderstorms.

By no means was our event meant to be a political statement or a marketing gimmick. It's a day for those who appreciate the Great Minnesota Get Together: which my interpretation is a day of food, fun and friends (new and old). By those standards alone I think it was a success. I met quite a few attendees who have just moved to New York, is it so awful now that from this event they have met a few more friendly faces in the big city?

And yes, we would all prefer to attend the actual Minnesota State Fair, but sometimes vacation time or budgets do not allow.(Read: spoiled rich brats may not be the case here)

Thanks for the commentary, it's been interesting reading it all.
Jay

New York, NY

#25 Aug 23, 2010
It was a super fun day wandering around in search of fried food and beer!

Also, I had no idea that the pioneer press was as bad as youtube in terms of relevance/quality of comments - pretty freaking ridiculous.

Thanks again Laura - the success of the day indeed speaks for itself!
Shannon

New York, NY

#26 Aug 23, 2010
I've been living in NYC for almost 5 years and this was one of the most memorable days yet. Congrats to Laura, Jen and Nina for organizing. It seriously was a day to remember. I love and miss Minnesota! This gave all of us a chance to celebrate summer, fair foods, thunderstorms(!), and incredible company. Can't wait for next year!
Ace

Astoria, NY

#27 Aug 23, 2010
Was totally bummed to miss it this year, but was glad to at least attempt to be the replacement baker for sweet marthas. You guys always do an amazing job planning this event, keep it up!
Nicole Rae

Minneapolis, MN

#30 Aug 23, 2010
annoymous wrote:
This story is pathetic! Nobody in their right mind in either in the Greenwich Neighborhood or the Meatpacking District in New York City is going to chow down on a chocoholic covered bacon on a stick or fried cheese curds, regarding Minnesota State Fair foods. Ugh! Are these girls this stupid? What kind of dimwitted marking gimmick did these two wind up learning at the University of Minnesota?! Having people to eat this stuff IS NEVER GOING TO FLY with New Yorkers! This is like telling people in France to eat up on McDonald burgers and drop the winery cuisine off the menu.
As for the paper photograph, they looked like a bunch of spoiled rich brats with presumed Obama bumper stickers on the back of their cars.
"dimwitted marking gimmick"??? I'm going to guess they've learned a few things at the U of M, such as how to spell marketing...good one. And yes, I'm sure that was the intent - to convert all New Yorkers to eat bacon daily - this sounds like it was something that was intended for their circle of friends & they accepted whoever else wanted to go... No one is asking you to try a cheese curd - which you've obviously never had or you wouldn't speak such blasphemy.
Tom

Saint Paul, MN

#31 Aug 23, 2010
To the moderator here on Topix...google 'muffin top urban dictionary'. While the comment earlier about muffin tops might have been a little insulting, there is nothing sexual about the term. It was more a commment about eating high calorie deep-fried food such as that served at the state fair.
MN Culture Club

Fresh Meadows, NY

#32 Aug 24, 2010
We covered this in advance of the event and had a great response from our readers. Everyone who attended had glowing reviews even with rain.

See our post here: http://mncultureclub.com/post/979005483/all-t...
Sam

Fresh Meadows, NY

#33 Aug 24, 2010
MN Culture Club's coverage of this was pretty funny: http://mncultureclub.com/post/979005483/all-t...
Get Whitey

Monroe, LA

#34 Aug 24, 2010
Beat Whitey Night at the Iowa State Fair

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5719...

FAIR FIGHTS: Police trying to figure out if race played role in attacks

http://www.whotv.com/news/who-story-fair-viol...

Police say it’s ‘very possible’ attacks near fairgrounds had racial overtones

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/2010...

I hear the 'Tilt-A-Whitey' ride and the 'Whitey on a Stick' just can’t be beat(en).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lower East Side Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
El Paso police seize ton of marijuana Tue huey goins 2
Protesters to NYPD: We want dead cops Mon Jogosdokizi 64
Community Calendar, Dec. 19-31 Dec 19 why no Hold em De... 1
Here is Richard McGuire's epic of time Dec 13 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Manhattan Mini Storage Expands Service Offering... Dec 4 Gerald Vonberger 1
Hallway Toilets, Adult Bunk Beds: How Have You ... Dec 3 Hahaufunny 1
Wilkes Barre Pa Nov '14 Ralph 1
New York Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web