Royal wedding fever in NYC: Party like you're in London, minus the jet lag

Apr 24, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NY Daily News

Nicky Perry and her husband and business partner Sean Kavanath- Dowsett pose at Carry On Tea & Sympathy located at 100 Greenwich Avenue in Greenwich Village.

Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Jan 31, 2013
Matt Chun

Silver Spring, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 28, 2011
 

Judged:

1

TLC is throwing a live-viewing party in the Father Duffy area of Times Square New York. The royal nuptials will be shown on two of the most dynamic digital billboards in Times Square and guests will also be treated to a SAY YES TO THE DRESS fashion show and a live performance by Grammy Award winner singer/songwriter Coblie Caillat. Arrive early for free TLC Snuggies! Go to http://ow.ly/4IWaI for more info.

“Dum Di Dum”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 28, 2011
 
Wondering, if Koichi will be there too...

Since: Jul 10

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 28, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I'll be spending the day being happy about the fact that I don't live in a country or an empire who has to concern themselves with stupid things like royal families and stuck up, snobby attitudes about these "special" people. Screw you Prince William and screw you too, Princess Kate.

“Where the heart is.”

Since: Apr 11

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 28, 2011
 
Well, i'm not English, but i imagine the English are sick of it to, in fact i know it, and most of the girls i know, say, that once they have seen the dress, it's over.

“Trying is...”

Since: Feb 08

the first step towards failure

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 28, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

who cares
Edmund Ruffin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 28, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

This whole affair smacks of idolatry. Parliament decreeing 260 years ago that these people are important doesn't take away from the fact that are simply people, just like everyone else.

“Where the heart is.”

Since: Apr 11

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 28, 2011
 
Edmund Ruffin wrote:
This whole affair smacks of idolatry. Parliament decreeing 260 years ago that these people are important doesn't take away from the fact that are simply people, just like everyone else.
I really think we would all like to think this way, but the fact of the matter is, they are. Simple as that!
shameless-li

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 28, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Edmund Ruffin wrote:
Parliament decreeing 260 years ago that these people are important doesn't take away from the fact that are simply people, just like everyone else.
simple people with a lot of money and jewels...not like everyone else.
Edmund Ruffin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 28, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Sorry. Worldy possessions do not garner my attention, nor do they command my respect. These two will have exactly nothing the moment they die, just like the rest of us. The notion of planning one's day around this event strikes me as the epitome of foolishness, not to mention a colossal waste of time.
shameless-li wrote:
<quoted text>
simple people with a lot of money and jewels...not like everyone else.
Madamx

Birmingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 28, 2011
 

Judged:

1

The Real Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
I'll be spending the day being happy about the fact that I don't live in a country or an empire who has to concern themselves with stupid things like royal families and stuck up, snobby attitudes about these "special" people. Screw you Prince William and screw you too, Princess Kate.
You would be surprised at how many people here in the UK could care less about the royals especially the wedding. In fact they don't want a royal family. The reining royals don't even share the bloodline from ''Original Royalty''. Whats even more annoying is after the engagement announcement it was mentioned in passing that the british public will be paying for the royal wedding security bill (say what?). It means we have to pay to protect the royals from the sorry fuckers (from all over the world) who decide to sleep in lines waiting to get a glimpes of the bride/royal couple. What would be ideal and cheaper for us tax payers is for the royals to wed in a private ceremony away from the press. It's a personal and intimate day which could have saved us millons in taxes especially with the olympics next year meaning more tax increases keeping in mind we are still feeling the strain from the recession.

The people who are celebrating (a couple they have never met) the royal nuptuials aren't doing it for the sake of it. After speaking to loads of joyous middle-class, upper middle-class and traditional working class brits, they all seem respect both princes for really wanting to lead normal lives like you or I with millions in the bank and no pressure to rule the country.
That's goes totally against the traditional manner of the elder royals. It's one positive characteristic the princes mother has instilled in them. The press has contributed to this madness and the poor people living on a hand to mouth basis in he UK will feel the financial pressure the most.

On a lighter note, like most couples wishing to share their lives together, I wish them all the best and to keep communication strong in their marriage. Alway remember as each year goes by a couple becomes even more comfotable in the relationsihp beware mistaking extreme comfort for laziness(usually year 5-10) always keep communication open and sparks flowing.

“Slightly below above-average”

Since: Jul 10

arguably garrulous

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 28, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a
mandate from the masses, not from some farcicial aquatic ceremony!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 29, 2011
 
That was some day yesterday,I'm gonna have t-shirts made up..."I survived the royal wedding and NFL draft".
History Guy

Huntington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 29, 2011
 

Judged:

1

First of all, the present monarchy of Great Britain actually is rooted in Germany, not England. When Queen Anne died in 1714 with no children to assume the throne, in order to make sure no Catholic could claim the throne, a German cousin from Hanover was allowed to take the crown. King George V during WWI cleverly changed the family name to Windsor to make it appear they were British.
At any rate, Americans will claim that they don't care about the wedding or royalty, but it is Americans who probably will make up a large part of the viewing audience. Americans are star struck and celebrity watchers. The American media loves big events.
The American media has the audacity to call the Kennedy family, "American Royalty".
While most American think we broke away from Great Britain because we didn't like King George III and the taxes he imposed (He didn't, Parliament did) only 1/3 of the Colonial population supoorted the Revolution. 2/3 of the population wanted either to remain loyal or didn't care.
The real reason for the American Revolution was economics. It was led by the merchants of New England who wanted to make as much money as possible and as long as we stayed a colony of Great Britain, they would not be able to do so.
Many Americans will claim that they don't care about royalty in Britain, but have no real understanding of our connected history to Great Britain.

Since: Jul 10

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 29, 2011
 
History Guy wrote:
First of all, the present monarchy of Great Britain actually is rooted in Germany, not England. When Queen Anne died in 1714 with no children to assume the throne, in order to make sure no Catholic could claim the throne, a German cousin from Hanover was allowed to take the crown. King George V during WWI cleverly changed the family name to Windsor to make it appear they were British.
At any rate, Americans will claim that they don't care about the wedding or royalty, but it is Americans who probably will make up a large part of the viewing audience. Americans are star struck and celebrity watchers. The American media loves big events.
The American media has the audacity to call the Kennedy family, "American Royalty".
While most American think we broke away from Great Britain because we didn't like King George III and the taxes he imposed (He didn't, Parliament did) only 1/3 of the Colonial population supoorted the Revolution. 2/3 of the population wanted either to remain loyal or didn't care.
The real reason for the American Revolution was economics. It was led by the merchants of New England who wanted to make as much money as possible and as long as we stayed a colony of Great Britain, they would not be able to do so.
Many Americans will claim that they don't care about royalty in Britain, but have no real understanding of our connected history to Great Britain.
Silence, Tory, lest we tar and feather you in the town square.

“Where the heart is.”

Since: Apr 11

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 29, 2011
 
well the dead is done,,,,, i was actually working,,, but just managed to see about 5 mins of it.

She looked beautiful and her dress was lovely, they didn't fluff their lines , and I am guessing that they wish right now that the whole thing was over too.

Since: Nov 12

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 31, 2013
 
Indian weddings are a colorful and vibrant celebration that can last for several days.Even the pre-wedding ceremony is an elaborate affair http://londonrickshaws.co.uk/indian-weddings/

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greenwich Village Discussions

Search the Greenwich Village Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 4 hr positronium 6,340
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 5 hr Redumblican Teabagger 6,359
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 8 hr Sham Hannuty 16,777
NY Who do you support for Comptroller in New York ... (Oct '10) Jul 20 Sham Hanutty 436
Crowds gather for NYC gay pride march Jul 4 Civilize 18
Real Reason Why There is Beef with Smith Projec... (Dec '09) Jun 29 smith projects 19
Immigrant Stories On Screen Jun 26 Demogorgon 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Greenwich Village Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Greenwich Village People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Greenwich Village News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greenwich Village
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••