Man found shot to death in Edgewater

Man found shot to death in Edgewater

There are 513 comments on the Daytona Beach News-Journal Online story from Jul 20, 2009, titled Man found shot to death in Edgewater. In it, Daytona Beach News-Journal Online reports that:

New Smyrna Beach police spent the predawn hours this morning trying to piece together the story of a man found dead from an apparent gunshot wound in the back of a sport utility vehicle in the rear parking lot of an Edgewater bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daytona Beach News-Journal Online.

First Prev
of 26
Next Last
Hobidimofo

Palm Coast, FL

#1 Jul 20, 2009
Really a shame, another hard working tax paying white male fell victim to what you can only assume a senseless killing committed by someone that has no respect for anything including themselves. Damn Shame!
lilmomma

Lake Mary, FL

#2 Jul 20, 2009
This is such a shame, another senseless murder. Our thoughts are with his family in this tragic time.

Since: Jun 07

New Smyrna Beach

#3 Jul 20, 2009
Some people think they are so big and bad and brave when they carry a gun. Then they do something stupid and go to jail.

The victim was found in the back. Passenger? If so, where is the driver?

I sure hope this isn't someone I knew. I don't think I can handle another funeral this month.

This on top of the news of a 13 year old boy shot and killed in Daytona after answering the door.
cara

Oviedo, FL

#4 Jul 20, 2009
rip my cousin i love you so much and i am so sorry this happened to you
karen_nelson

Covington, LA

#5 Jul 21, 2009
my thoughts and prayers are with the family. i can't even write this without crying. so many people with mourn FOREVER over jeremy and will NEVER know the TRUTH about what happened because he is not here to tell. that's what will eat at everyone who wants to know why, why something so senseless happened to such a young father and son. NO-ONE has the right to take a life.

New Smyrna Beach

#6 Jul 21, 2009
I'm sure the story will come out. Too many witnesses. Apparently three in the truck with him and most likely a passenger in the sedan. It is unlikely the driver would be the shooter.
just wondering

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 22, 2009
ClamBob wrote:
I'm sure the story will come out. Too many witnesses. Apparently three in the truck with him and most likely a passenger in the sedan. It is unlikely the driver would be the shooter.
who was this person that got killed?? i use to live in port orange and dated a guy in edgewater...haven't heard from him in 2 years
Shara

Apopka, FL

#8 Jul 22, 2009
I am the mother of Jeremy's son. My son just turned a year old in May. Now no thanks to these idiots my son will never really know who is dad was and how much he loved him. I hope who ever did this to him fries for it. Jeremy was a hard working man and loved his children very much. Jeremy you will be missed very much hunny. R.I.P. love.

New Smyrna Beach

#9 Jul 22, 2009
just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>who was this person that got killed?? i use to live in port orange and dated a guy in edgewater...haven't heard from him in 2 years
Jeremy was new to town. I had seen him around but didn't know him.
lilmomma_7784

Lake Mary, FL

#10 Jul 22, 2009
Jeremy and my husband were friends and worked together. He was such a nice guy and you could tell her really loved his kids. I still cant believe this happened to him. He will be missed every much. Shara I am so sorry for your loss and for your son's. He loved your son very much and talked about him all the time. Lets just hope they caught whoever did this. Have you heard anything bout when the service will be?
Sarah

Saint Marys, PA

#11 Jul 23, 2009
I have known Jeremy for over six years. He is the father of my best friend's daughter. While Jeremy and I never really saw eye to eye, no one, NO ONE deserves to die like this. His children will have to grow up knowing that their father was taken from them. May peace come to his children and Jeremy's family.
Walker

Port Orange, FL

#12 Jul 27, 2009
It has been a full week now and this story has disappeared from the pages of the News Journal. There have been no arrests. We still do not know the name of the girl that was in the car with Jeremy, Hank and Ed.(At least not officially) No description of the shooter's car, although there seem to have been plenty of witnesses, not the least of which are the three who left Jeremy behind a saloon to die. Why do I care? A windshield was shot out at a home on Palmetto in the course of this atrocity. That could have been some child's bedroom window. And I think there should be some justice for Jeremy. And personally I am outraged that there is not more outrage. This is New Smyrna/Edgewater,**** it! Not Miami! Catch the Shooter and Catch the Charm.
Lurker

Palm Coast, FL

#13 Jul 27, 2009
No news is no news. The driver won't talk because he will go to jail. Probably the others as well. So, not only did they leave Jeremy there to die, his death may go unpunished.

The driver will never admit he is as much too blame for this kid's death as the one who pulled the trigger. He goes around ripping off drug dealers and others. Something like this is bound to happen. He doesn't deserve to be on the streets. Shouldn't have been in the first place. This is another example of the justice system letting us down.

These are among the lowest of low lifes. No such thing as doing the right thing to them. Too worried about their own little lives to care about the death of someone else. Too worried about where there next hit will come from than the cost of that hit.

There is plenty of outrage. It simmers. I only hope the police will crack down on the root cause. No one is safe until the hard stuff is off the street.
Walker

Port Orange, FL

#14 Jul 27, 2009
Thanks for replying, Lurker. I posted here and elsewhere because I just can't accept this thing fading away.
Walker

Port Orange, FL

#15 Jul 29, 2009
Are we all just supposed to forget about it? I question why the story has disappeared. The "Doll Doctor Lady" lasted longer, not to mention the photo op pictures of the governor coming to Port Orange to save the day. Hank Wheeler, Eddie Selph, some unidentified female.
A crack dealer with an assault rifle. No developments? Bull. What else are we not being told? The citizens of Palmetto street were endangered that Sunday night ten days ago. It could have been my street, or yours.
Jon

Apopka, FL

#16 Jul 31, 2009
I cannot beleive how little we are hearing about this case. I have known of the Wheeler brothers for over 20 years. They have all always been white trash.
Walker

United States

#17 Aug 2, 2009
What the hell will it take to get some results on this case? This is the second Sunday since 25 year old Jeremy Markely was murdered. Up to no good? Hell yeah, it was his birthday. Seeking drugs? OK, not something to write home about, but NOT WORTHY OF THE DEATH PENALTY! What is worthy of the death penalty? Running down a quiet New Smyrna Beach residential avenue with an assault rifle blazing away over some sorry-ass petty cash drug deal. WAKE UP NEW SMYRNA! If the local press and the local law enforcement will not address this sorry situation then it is up to us to keep up the clarion call to justice! Something is fishy as hell about this whole deal, not the least of which is a local Judge's not so good name being drawn into the story, a very definite punk-ass local ne'er do well and two young kids: Eddie "Bubba" Selph (22), and an as yet unnamed 19 year old girl (allegedly 44 year-old scumbag Hank Wheeler's girlfriend). Let's lance this wound! Post, people. It looks like it is up to us to run these vermin to the ground.
Crystal

Winter Park, FL

#18 Aug 7, 2009
Jeremy wasn't a big part of my life but I knew him and hung out with him years ago a few times. Finding out this news really hurt me and my heart immediately went out to his family, especially his beautiful daughter Abby and his son. No child should have to grow up without a father. I send my condolences to his family and friends. I will keep you all in my prayers. RIP Jeremy
Walker

Port Orange, FL

#19 Aug 7, 2009
Thanks for posting, Crystal. If you know any other friends or family of Jeremy, get them to comment here. I want to paint a picture of Jeremy as the person he was, by all accounts a hard-working young guy who fell into a bad situation with a local scum-bag who has been coddled by a local Judge for so long that it resulted in murder. The local powers that be would love to see this story just go away. Let's not let that happen.
powsock

Chicago, IL

#20 Aug 10, 2009
feel bad about his family however it takes a loser to know a loser. he should have never puy himself into that position and when u play with fire soon you get burned

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Smyrna Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
saw black panther on highway 46 wednesday who s... 13 hr zip16340 6
News Police: Officer interrupts couple in parking lo... 15 hr God 8
News Miklos at center of controversy again Jul 22 Laura H 1
News What Volusia-Flagler police are saying: 'There ... Jul 19 Concerned Citizen 1
News Letters: "Some may even hate members of law enf... Jul 18 Beach 5
News Police: Peeping tom takes pictures, video of wo... Jul 15 Media 4
News Daytona Beach police officer charged with felon... (Sep '14) Jul 15 Beachlover 3

New Smyrna Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Smyrna Beach Mortgages