Bob Conway

AOL

#2845 May 18, 2011
Whale7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't think there is a conection as Buzzy would be over 80 today. Dick Green died many years ago.I spent time (my dad said too much time)in all the NR bars.....Buzzy's, Grandview, Green Derby, Dudleys, Beechmont, Georges, Giant Step, Ship, Barge and now and then went out of town to the Hilltop, Coblestone, Fore and Aft, Ratskeller and Foley's. I remember spending all night at Buzzy's during the 1965 blackout....the bar was officially closed but a few of us stayed and drank all night.....a number of NR cops stopped by and said "hello". I also remember the time Freddy Cowan of Neptune infamy pulled a gun and shot the swordfish on the back wall at Buzzy's. Dick Green through him out for a long stretch and not for the first time. It's been a lot of years since I left NR in 1971 but somehow those memories are more clear than what I did two days ago.
Buzzy is still alive and still owns Ed Foleys Lounge
Bob Conway

AOL

#2846 May 18, 2011
Freddy threw a ash tray through the fish tank over the bar at the Ship ahoy also
Bob Conway

AOL

#2847 May 18, 2011
I am friends with Buzzys son Ed Jr
Bob Conway

AOL

#2848 May 18, 2011
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Scoop as the Ring 30 Scoop?
- Ronny Cohn died a couple years ago
Bob Conway

AOL

#2849 May 18, 2011
Who owned the Giant Step on main st back in the 60`s? Was 2 of the NY Giants I am told
Michael

Orlando, FL

#2850 May 18, 2011
Yes, Joe O'Brian and Joe Morrison of the NY Giants owned the Giant Step on Main St. It later became The Second Floor...A Disco in the 70's.
Huguenot

Wilton, CT

#2851 May 19, 2011
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it the Saints and Sinners with Kevin Brenner?
That band also included Dennis & Jerry Fraoli
New Rochelle Guy

Brooklyn, NY

#2852 May 27, 2011
Went to New Rochelle last night to pick up my mother for the holiday weekend. Sorry to say and I have said it before...it has lost all its character and is now just an extension of the Bronx.
Purple Wave

Pompton Lakes, NJ

#2853 May 27, 2011
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
Went to New Rochelle last night to pick up my mother for the holiday weekend. Sorry to say and I have said it before...it has lost all its character and is now just an extension of the Bronx.
I agree, yet the north end still remains fairly in tact. As for the south end, couldn't agree more. Some call it progress, I call it a shame!!
New Rochelle Guy

Brooklyn, NY

#2854 May 27, 2011
Purple Wave wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, yet the north end still remains fairly in tact. As for the south end, couldn't agree more. Some call it progress, I call it a shame!!
She lives on the Shore road near Glen Island and it is still nice and I miss the salt water living in Orange county, NY...but Main street, up North Ave to City Hall and the west area are going to get worse before they get better.

Since: Jul 09

Stroudsburg, PA

#2855 May 28, 2011
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
NRG....I can't agree more. I go to see my 94 y/o mother in NR and I almost don't recognize the town.

Stroudsburg, PA

#2856 May 28, 2011
Purple Wave wrote:
<quoted text>
The south end is where I am from. Bayview Ave between Franklin and Echo. main Street looks like a refugee city.

Stroudsburg, PA

#2857 May 28, 2011
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
She lives on the Shore road near Glen Island and it is still nice and I miss the salt water living in Orange county, NY...but Main street, up North Ave to City Hall and the west area are going to get worse before they get better.
You are so correct. It is a shame.
Denise

Bronx, NY

#2858 May 29, 2011
some areas are blighted but New Ro is still a great place to live how many people could say they have a town along LI sound glen island is scenic and has so much to offer five islands is a hidden beauty also unfortunately locals dont take advantage and now at hudson park they are making a tiki bar and having entertainment this will be a great comeback cant wait
Purple Wave

Pompton Lakes, NJ

#2859 May 29, 2011
Denise wrote:
some areas are blighted but New Ro is still a great place to live how many people could say they have a town along LI sound glen island is scenic and has so much to offer five islands is a hidden beauty also unfortunately locals dont take advantage and now at hudson park they are making a tiki bar and having entertainment this will be a great comeback cant wait
All sounds wonderful for the "Queen City of The Sound"
Denise

Bronx, NY

#2860 May 31, 2011
sure people can move out of new ro then criticize it but there are a lot of native new rochelleans who still live here and love it myself being one of them all the movers I know "still" miss it the locals still meet up at local events and share great memories even a few who left for the so called good life and appreciate it more proud to be a new ro resident!!

Stroudsburg, PA

#2861 May 31, 2011
People didn't necessarily leave "for the so called good life" as you put it. School, jobs, families and life may have led them elsewhere. I lived in NR for 22 years before I went to teach in a school in MA. I never got back to NR on a permanent basis. But, I will still say it is a spector of what it was in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I visit now, and I wouldn't want to live their again. It has become an extension of Mt. Vernon and the Bronx, and you can keep it. I'll stay on my 16 acres in PA, thank you.
New Rochelle Guy

Brooklyn, NY

#2862 May 31, 2011
Bayview wrote:
People didn't necessarily leave "for the so called good life" as you put it. School, jobs, families and life may have led them elsewhere. I lived in NR for 22 years before I went to teach in a school in MA. I never got back to NR on a permanent basis. But, I will still say it is a spector of what it was in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I visit now, and I wouldn't want to live their again. It has become an extension of Mt. Vernon and the Bronx, and you can keep it. I'll stay on my 16 acres in PA, thank you.
I actually would have stayed as well...I had a lot of friends there and I love the salt water...my issue was finding a house I could afford in an area I would want to live in with two young children at the time and two dogs...so an apartment was not an option therefore the move to a house with a fenced in yard and cows on a farm as my closest neighbor..yes its a pain to drive 8 miles for a quart of milk and the 1 1/2 hour commute...but nice not having to fight for a parking space on a street during a snow storm.
Denise

Bronx, NY

#2863 May 31, 2011
true it looks like that from an outsiders point of view and yes never thought it was for the "good" life or wrote that and my sister lives in stroudsburg beautiful home lots of properties her husbands job took her there for the past 20 plus years nice place to visit but after growing up in new ro visiting is all I want to do by the way does anyone remeber helens on division street where you picked the wafers and then the ice cream by hershey
Fred

Foristell, MO

#2864 May 31, 2011
I loved growing up in NR in the 40s and 50s. The city's overcrowded appearance and the attitudes of the residents that exist today are nothing like it was before. The immigrants that built this city would turn over in their grave if they saw the new immigrants and their apparent lifestyles.

IN 66 I moved my wife and children from NR to the Jersey shore for the more relaxed lifestyle it afforded. In 74 we moved to S Fl, mainly for the ideal year round weather, and have never regretted it. Unfortunately the comparable to NR hometown feeling that was alive and well in Boca Raton in the 70s and 80s has faded enormously.

The over population and unbelievable amount of non English speaking people apparently have changed almost every former family oriented city in the USA to what they have become today. Good Bad or Indifferent in your eyes that's reality.

BTW, Does anybody know what happened to Wayne Davis the owner of Dudz Pub and the originator of Dudleys Bar in Hudson Park. I went by Dudz Pub on North Ave last week to see Wayne aka "Dudley" and it was vacant ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Rochelle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Growing up in Mamaroneck (Jan '06) 6 hr Ginger Man 344
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Bayside (Dec '13) Thu Ash Ley 24
FLIght 370 compared with Joe Krupinski (Apr '14) Wed Maude 14
News Tourists flockto Cuba before US 'invasion' Wed Doc Savage 4
News Facing 25 Years in Prison for Drug Sales, Speci... Apr 14 333stenbrian 1
News The Americans are coming: Cuba prepares for an ... Apr 13 Doc Savage 8
Review: Hudson North LLC (Nov '08) Apr 12 Important revew 94

Fire Weather Watch for Westchester County was issued at April 17 at 3:36PM EDT

More from around the web

New Rochelle People Search