|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

barney wrote:
<quoted text>
What apt. did you live in at 309? Did you know the Crawfords? Do you remember Sid and Joe in the paper store?
My Mother is a Crawford...
Jammahn

Oxford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

I visited New Rochelle recently...it's not the city I grew up in. One thing comforting though...Davenport Park is the same, and I intend to have my ashes blown to the wind there. I spent many nights fishing for bass off Ft. Slocum, Hart Island and the reefs...best time of my life.
Whale7

Jacksonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Duck 61 wrote:
<quoted text> a Are you a real whale class of 1961
Yes I am ..........are you a real Duck?
New Rochelle Guy

Roslyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Huguenot wrote:
<quoted text> My Mother is a Crawford...
I knew a Bob Crawford, lived on Main st near Maple I think, was a member of the Roosevelt fishing club at the Roosvelt bar where I worked nights with big Mike....any relation there?
Purple Wave

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2010

Jammahn wrote:
I visited New Rochelle recently...it's not the city I grew up in. One thing comforting though...Davenport Park is the same, and I intend to have my ashes blown to the wind there. I spent many nights fishing for bass off Ft. Slocum, Hart Island and the reefs...best time of my life.
Couldn't agree more, just returned from a visit to the Queen City and couldn't get to both Davenport and Hudson Parks fast enough. What a coincidence because although I now live on the west coast of Florida and enjoy some very special beaches and landscape, while on this visit I mentioned to my family that when my time comes, not for awhile I hope, that my ashes be left blowin in the wind down on Davenport Neck where I spent the most carefree days of my life. Hopefully that view and those memories will last forever.
Huguenot

Wilton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2010

New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew a Bob Crawford, lived on Main st near Maple I think, was a member of the Roosevelt fishing club at the Roosvelt bar where I worked nights with big Mike....any relation there?
No relation.
barney

Raritan, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2010

Huguenot wrote:
<quoted text> No relation.
Their was a Junior Crawford that hung out on garden st with a group of men each evening.may have lived in 311 northave. I think he lives in senior housing on maple ave now. Worked in the supermarket
Huguenot

Wilton, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2010

barney wrote:
<quoted text>
Their was a Junior Crawford that hung out on garden st with a group of men each evening.may have lived in 311 northave. I think he lives in senior housing on maple ave now. Worked in the supermarket
My Uncle, only Crawford member left. Lied in 309 not 311...

Since: Jul 09

Stillwater, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2010

Happy Halloween to all the "old kids" from New Rochelle.

I can remember those days in the early 60's when we would gobble down our dinner so we could get to business trick-or-treating up and down Bayview Av, Echo Av, Sutton Manor, Franklin Av and more. The first few years someone would accompany us, but by 2nd grade, we were off on our own. Imagine that! We didn't worry about child molesters, deranged people or poisoned candy. It was an evening for the kids....and we soaked up every moment.
Carol424

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Jahongir wrote:
Oh, I forgot, my email is
genealogy@jahongir.com
Thank you.
I will pass your note to his son...
Carol424

Newburgh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2010

Bayview wrote:
Happy Halloween to all the "old kids" from New Rochelle.
I can remember those days in the early 60's when we would gobble down our dinner so we could get to business trick-or-treating up and down Bayview Av, Echo Av, Sutton Manor, Franklin Av and more. The first few years someone would accompany us, but by 2nd grade, we were off on our own. Imagine that! We didn't worry about child molesters, deranged people or poisoned candy. It was an evening for the kids....and we soaked up every moment.
we hit Main Street, Hudson, Harrison, Franklin, Locust, Fountain Place... it was great....
Jeff C from Mayflower Ave

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2010

Rebel T wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Leslie, it's tina Rubin... I remember you too! I don't know where Jodi is but Kenny Stansbury is my neighbor and he may know where she is. I'll try to find out. I fell upon this little forum completely by accident and found Stuart here talking to Jeff playing jewish geography...funny! How did you find this conversation? what a hoot!

Tell Kenny Stansbury hello from a old friend of his sister's in the San Jose Area.
Would love to catch up and say HI - Here is my email.
(jay_jay_jay_1954@yahoo.com).. .

I do not use this forum. Just stumbled upon it by accident....
Jeff C from Mayflower Ave

Santa Clara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2010

Just found this forum. Would love to catch up with anyone who remembers me. Graduated 1972 and now live on the west coast....

This could be fun....
Peacepipe

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I mentioned him...lived or still lives on Laurel place behind the old library...white rocks on the curb outside the house.
My aunt knew him somehow and I met him when I was younger.
Yes...a character is the word for him...nice enough person...but odd.
I've actually dropped by to try and say hello but there is a strange hand TYPED note on the door clearly stating NO unannounced visitors allowed. He kept some of us local kids off the streets and employed, hiring me for raking leaves, simple garden work etc. Would like to see if he's even still alive, left a note but no answer.

It's true what somebody mentioned above, that downtown NR is barely a shadow of its' former self. Nothing left of the original old-town feel, unless I'm missing something. The New Roc mall is a nightmare to me, the movie theaters overrun with crowds from anywhere/everywhere. Just doesn't feel like a town anymore, maybe like a 5th borough of NYC or something like that?
Peacepipe

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

Bayview wrote:
Sounds like he was some character.
definitely a character! a one-of-a-kind old school eccentric. Probably not too many of those as people become more homogenized.
Peacepipe

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2010

New Rochelle Guy wrote:
I knew a couple of families on Laurel...first was on the right side as you turned in off Pintard....Charlie Gatuso..was a bank manager somewhere in New Rochelle..cant remember...and then further down as the road beared left was a house on the left with large white stones on the sidewalk that belonged to someone named "Lord" Bingham Wheeler who thought (or may have been...I dont know) was a member of the British Aristocracy....I always wondered that if he was why did he cut his own lawn...I dont know.
<quoted text>
I knew him, he used to counsel young boys and girls who were getting in trouble, sometimes pretty bad trouble. He considered himself to be doing "The Lord's work" and also, supposedly, did this kind of thing in London as well. I wasn't one of the bad kids, just thought he was in interesting nutty character and used to be part of his posse at the GoPo Deli on Center Ave where he'd "dine" on Tue. or Wed. nights every week...anybody remember that place???

He also at at Soo Chow one specific night every week. Wow, what happens to these characters...he was harmless though. There were rumors that he was a perv. but I never saw a hint of that, he never ever tried anything weird with me or my neighborhood friends there in Residence Park.
New Rochelle Guy

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2010

Peacepipe wrote:
<quoted text>
I've actually dropped by to try and say hello but there is a strange hand TYPED note on the door clearly stating NO unannounced visitors allowed. He kept some of us local kids off the streets and employed, hiring me for raking leaves, simple garden work etc. Would like to see if he's even still alive, left a note but no answer.
It's true what somebody mentioned above, that downtown NR is barely a shadow of its' former self. Nothing left of the original old-town feel, unless I'm missing something. The New Roc mall is a nightmare to me, the movie theaters overrun with crowds from anywhere/everywhere. Just doesn't feel like a town anymore, maybe like a 5th borough of NYC or something like that?
I feel the same way about your description of another borough of NY...youre right, but that is the spreading effect of an over populated, let anyone in, thing that is happening...like a giant rain drop has fallen....and New Roc Mall is a mockery.
New Rochelle Guy

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2010

Peacepipe wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew him, he used to counsel young boys and girls who were getting in trouble, sometimes pretty bad trouble. He considered himself to be doing "The Lord's work" and also, supposedly, did this kind of thing in London as well. I wasn't one of the bad kids, just thought he was in interesting nutty character and used to be part of his posse at the GoPo Deli on Center Ave where he'd "dine" on Tue. or Wed. nights every week...anybody remember that place???
He also at at Soo Chow one specific night every week. Wow, what happens to these characters...he was harmless though. There were rumors that he was a perv. but I never saw a hint of that, he never ever tried anything weird with me or my neighborhood friends there in Residence Park.
Yes...GoPo....there was always the same bunch of people sitting there...Two older ladies who worked at Loews, One Irish woman and one German woman who worked at Neptune, and others...Bob Polo...made good sandwiches, Next to Paul Scott.

Soo Chow...I liked that place...still remember the owner?, Manager?...Skinny guy with glasses...nice person.

I dont live in New Rochelle anymore but during the summer when I went to see my mom I drove by Wheelers house and he was outside on his lawn and I stopped to talk to him...and he said next time I am in the area, make an appointment for coffee or tea...really funny...still doing the "Lord" thing...I think the Burger King is for of a royal than he is, but I always liked the guy.
Peacepipe-Riverd ale NY

Newark, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2010

New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes...GoPo....there was always the same bunch of people sitting there...Two older ladies who worked at Loews, One Irish woman and one German woman who worked at Neptune, and others...Bob Polo...made good sandwiches, Next to Paul Scott.
Soo Chow...I liked that place...still remember the owner?, Manager?...Skinny guy with glasses...nice person.
I dont live in New Rochelle anymore but during the summer when I went to see my mom I drove by Wheelers house and he was outside on his lawn and I stopped to talk to him...and he said next time I am in the area, make an appointment for coffee or tea...really funny...still doing the "Lord" thing...I think the Burger King is for of a royal than he is, but I always liked the guy.
Right, Bob Polo -- was he the one with hearing aids or was that the son? I once stole a few singles from their cash register and feel bad about it to this day. I was a stupid teenager testing the boundaries. Wish I could go back and undo some of those moves but I can't so that's that.
Thanks very much for the update on "Lord" Bingham-Wheeler, that means a lot to me, amazing to know he's still around and I guess doing OK.
What about Frostop, remember that joint, with those two fat brothers who ran the place? Great hangout till a bad element took over, some bad kids, and the place went downhill. How old are you New Rochelle Guy? I was born in '63, lived on Poplar Pl. from about 1968-1980.

Since: Feb 09

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2010

It is Thanksgiving Eve and I am remembering the Annual Thanksgiving Day Turkey Bowl Football Game between NRHS & Iona Prep televised on WPIX Channel 11 at 10:am!(Spencer Ross & Aubrey Lewis?)

Happy Thanksgiving to all you New Rochelleans!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent New Rochelle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Rochelle Man Charged With Dealing Phony Goo... 21 hr brian sten 1
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Tue College Professor 6,391
$$dd Mon real one 1
Worst Neighborhood in THE Bronx (Feb '10) Mon nun 195
D'Onofrio Field Shooter Arrested, Anthony Morga... Aug 18 brian sten 1
Mount Vernon Man Faces Life In Prison In Woman'... Aug 16 swiss 1
human rights activist Aug 15 brian sten 1

Search the New Rochelle Forum:
•••

New Rochelle News Video

•••
•••

New Rochelle Jobs

•••