Lost In The 50s

Crossville, TN

#2385 Jan 21, 2010
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I mentioned this before....the link below if from Facebook showing the corner of Burling and North in the 50's...you may have to sign up or become a member.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php...
Thanks for directing me to those pictures.. they are great. The one that you directed me to.. was really right around the corner from where I lived at that time. "Ben's" Drug Store is there on the corner. That entire corner was demolished as part of the New England Thruway construction of 1954-1956. The building on North Avenue.. just north of the corner of Burling Lane ( 342 North Ave.) was a small apartment building where my Uncle and Aunt lived and they were also the janitors of the building. Next building up was the Dinkel's Market.. a real old popular meat and grocery market that many New Rochelleans would drive to to get their meat products. All in all .. that Facebook website is really a great one.. lot's of photo's that look like the places that I recall as I was growing up.
k lom

Jamestown, RI

#2386 Jan 22, 2010
Mad Money wrote:
<quoted text>Grabel's Pharmacy on North Avenue across from City Hall. I played Youth Soccer for them.
I played Little League for Grabel's at City Park. The Grabel's Cubs.

Since: Jan 08

Middletown, NY

#2387 Jan 22, 2010
Lost In The 50s wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for directing me to those pictures.. they are great. The one that you directed me to.. was really right around the corner from where I lived at that time. "Ben's" Drug Store is there on the corner. That entire corner was demolished as part of the New England Thruway construction of 1954-1956. The building on North Avenue.. just north of the corner of Burling Lane ( 342 North Ave.) was a small apartment building where my Uncle and Aunt lived and they were also the janitors of the building. Next building up was the Dinkel's Market.. a real old popular meat and grocery market that many New Rochelleans would drive to to get their meat products. All in all .. that Facebook website is really a great one.. lot's of photo's that look like the places that I recall as I was growing up.
It's great isn't it.. I grew up across the street from "the Green Church" which became the NR Mall.. My husband's grandmother lived in an apartment on Park Place.

Since: Jul 09

Tamaqua, PA

#2388 Jan 22, 2010
Never saw that North Av/Burling Lane photo. Just a wee bit before my time. I was born in '56. I think I'm a youngin compared to many of the regulars here...always talking about stuff that was a few years before I hit the streets...LOL

I'll have to check out all theose Facebook photos when I have the chance. Thanks for posting that link.
Jeanne

Moncks Corner, SC

#2389 Jan 22, 2010
Bayview wrote:
Never saw that North Av/Burling Lane photo. Just a wee bit before my time. I was born in '56. I think I'm a youngin compared to many of the regulars here...always talking about stuff that was a few years before I hit the streets...LOL
I'll have to check out all theose Facebook photos when I have the chance. Thanks for posting that link.
Hey Bayview be careful I'm only a year younger!!! Actually my parents are still alive and I can remember some of the names and places mentioned especially the American Legion and Sharkey horseshoe pits.
Carol424

Hurleyville, NY

#2390 Jan 22, 2010
Bayview wrote:
I've only got you by six years... You were not paying attention..!!
New Rochelle Guy

Oyster Bay, NY

#2391 Jan 22, 2010
Carol424 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've only got you by six years... You were not paying attention..!!
July 10th 1954 for me.....and hey Bayview, you lied to to me....I was going to send you a care package because you had a pic up there that needed taken care of and now youre a fox.
New Rochelle Guy

Oyster Bay, NY

#2392 Jan 22, 2010
Jeanne wrote:
<quoted text> Hey Bayview be careful I'm only a year younger!!! Actually my parents are still alive and I can remember some of the names and places mentioned especially the American Legion and Sharkey horseshoe pits.
I loved Sharkey courts.....I got really involved in horseshoes and made friends with a lot of great pitchers and went to a couple of the national championships in Keene, NH and Murray, Utah.....its like bowling in the sunshine.

Tamaqua, PA

#2393 Jan 22, 2010
Good to hear I am in the same age range. Maybe I just lived a sheltered life down on Bayview Av.
Lost In The 50s

Crossville, TN

#2394 Jan 24, 2010
Good Morning! It's raining hard down here in Tennessee.. so I'm sitting at the computer. Does anyone remember a couple of these old time soda fountain/hamburger joints (i.e before fast foods).
One was "Knophler's" ( or maybe it was "Knoflers")
on North Avenue.. just across from Lawn Avenue and Link's Bakery ( later Munzenmayer's Bakery). It was a great place to go after school.. or after basketball.. or whatever. Another one was more of a
soda fountain/stationery store on North Avenue just around the corner from Main Street..( on the northeast side about 3 or 4 stores from the corner).It was called Nick's or Jack's or something like that. I remember the place for it's great "egg creams" .. that cost a nickle. Went there after playing basketball at St. John's Methodist Gym.

Tamaqua, PA

#2395 Jan 24, 2010
There was also one across from my grandmother's deli at 425 Main Street where the Mall is now. It was next to the candy store, a few doors up from the Franklin Laundry. I remember my brothers used to call it Doc's, but I am not sure if that was the name. Carol would know since she lived next door.
Huguenot

Wilton, CT

#2396 Jan 24, 2010
Let's go JETS!!!!
Huguenot

Wilton, CT

#2397 Jan 24, 2010
Bayview wrote:
There was also one across from my grandmother's deli at 425 Main Street where the Mall is now. It was next to the candy store, a few doors up from the Franklin Laundry. I remember my brothers used to call it Doc's, but I am not sure if that was the name. Carol would know since she lived next door.
Doc Taylor's was on Franklin Ave. just off Main St. The Taylor's were my neighbors on Franklin Ave.
Huguenot

Wilton, CT

#2398 Jan 24, 2010
Lost In The 50s wrote:
Good Morning! It's raining hard down here in Tennessee.. so I'm sitting at the computer. Does anyone remember a couple of these old time soda fountain/hamburger joints (i.e before fast foods).
One was "Knophler's" ( or maybe it was "Knoflers")
on North Avenue.. just across from Lawn Avenue and Link's Bakery ( later Munzenmayer's Bakery). It was a great place to go after school.. or after basketball.. or whatever. Another one was more of a
soda fountain/stationery store on North Avenue just around the corner from Main Street..( on the northeast side about 3 or 4 stores from the corner).It was called Nick's or Jack's or something like that. I remember the place for it's great "egg creams" .. that cost a nickle. Went there after playing basketball at St. John's Methodist Gym.
Danny's was another great place to just hang... His shop was on North Ave just up from Bonifoy place. We use to listen to the juke box for hours upon hours. At one point Marty Lalli's demo record was in that juke box but I think we wore it out!!!

Middletown, NY

#2399 Jan 24, 2010
Bayview wrote:
Good to hear I am in the same age range. Maybe I just lived a sheltered life down on Bayview Av.
That could be it LOL...!

Middletown, NY

#2400 Jan 24, 2010
Bayview wrote:
Doc's was next to Gundelach's when they had just a little shop on Franklin... Doc was a pharmacist but he made the best "ice tea" concoction - cherry coke - and egg creams, floats and milk shakes. He lived at the bottom of Franklin Ave. almost to Pelham Rd.

Tamaqua, PA

#2401 Jan 25, 2010
OK, now I remember where Doc's was. I wasn't quite sure. Thought he was on main across from Kraston's. What was the name of the candy store across from Kraston's?
cal guy

United States

#2402 Jan 25, 2010
good morning everyone

Tamaqua, PA

#2403 Jan 25, 2010
Hello cal guy. What's up?
Patti

Howell, NJ

#2404 Jan 25, 2010
What ever happened to Martin Lalli .. he was in my kindergarten class at bss?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Rochelle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Huguenot & Centre Ave. (1984) (Feb '14) Oct 15 mattyo 6
News Former New Rochelle Principal Gets Probation Fo... Oct 12 333stenbrian 1
News New Rochelle Eyes Two-Way Downtown Traffic Oct 11 333stenbrian 1
why are children vanishing Oct 10 coco4u 1
News Oct. 9: Columbus, Columbus and Columbus Oct 9 go trump 1
mt vernon is a bad place to live (Sep '08) Oct 9 abdellina hassan 159
tips to locate missing Oct 7 coco4u 1

New Rochelle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance