New Rochelle Guy

Oyster Bay, NY

#2265 Dec 31, 2009
Pumpertwo wrote:
That's Wright Island Marina. Sorry.<quoted text>
I am remembering two people who worked for the fire dept in NR...one man...really terrific guy worked part time at a gas station at the corner of Drake and Pelham road...I think it was a Mobil owned by a fellow named George who was of Greek extraction.....and a few years later a pool playing buddy of mine named Joe Maloney who used to live in the apts at the corner of Center and Huguenot next to the Chatterbox...we were pretty close at one time but I havent heard from him in years.
New Rochelle Guy

Oyster Bay, NY

#2266 Dec 31, 2009
And to all wonderful people here.....Happy New Year and keep posting....its good for the soul.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2267 Dec 31, 2009
When I went on the NRFD in '64, there were 2 O'Dells. Lew O'Dell was a Lieutenant who workrd on Webster Ave. and Cliff O'Dell who worked on Church St. and Huguenot St. Don't believe they were related.
Barney wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasn't there an O'Dell on the fire dept. years ago, maybe around the 60's or 70's ?

Location hidden

#2268 Dec 31, 2009
The guy at the gas station was Jim O'Brian. He was Deputy Chief Moran's driver. Patous owned the gas station. Joe Maloney worked on Webster Ave. He's retired on disability.
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am remembering two people who worked for the fire dept in NR...one man...really terrific guy worked part time at a gas station at the corner of Drake and Pelham road...I think it was a Mobil owned by a fellow named George who was of Greek extraction.....and a few years later a pool playing buddy of mine named Joe Maloney who used to live in the apts at the corner of Center and Huguenot next to the Chatterbox...we were pretty close at one time but I havent heard from him in years.

Location hidden

#2269 Dec 31, 2009
10-4. A Happy and Healthy New Year to everyone on this great forum.
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
And to all wonderful people here.....Happy New Year and keep posting....its good for the soul.

Location hidden

#2270 Dec 31, 2009
Stanley Cleaners just jumped into my head. Maybe that was it.
Pumpertwo wrote:
There was a deli on the North West corner of Drake Ave. & Bayard St., across from the place where they cleaned clothes. The name of the cleaners escapes me. Maybe started with "S"? I don't know who owned the deli. <quoted text>
FBO1120

United States

#2271 Dec 31, 2009
Does anyone know weaher the paper route included
John St? And if so, was it the mid-60's?

My question is,
Who was delivering news papers on John St during 1966-1967?

Since: Mar 08

New Rochelle NY

#2272 Jan 1, 2010
Happy New Year Everyone.... Thanks for all the memories..
mrssweets

AOL

#2273 Jan 1, 2010
Pumpertwo wrote:
Stanley Cleaners just jumped into my head. Maybe that was it.<quoted text>
Was it Schulman's?
mrssweets

AOL

#2274 Jan 1, 2010
Pumpertwo wrote:
The guy at the gas station was Jim O'Brian. He was Deputy Chief Moran's driver. Patous owned the gas station. Joe Maloney worked on Webster Ave. He's retired on disability.<quoted text>
Do you remember" GBonly"?

Location hidden

#2275 Jan 1, 2010
Can't say that I do.
mrssweets wrote:
<quoted text>Do you remember" GBonly"?
Barney

Bellmore, NY

#2276 Jan 1, 2010
Does anyone out there remember the Drug Stores we had back before CVS ?

El-Dee - 422 Pelham Rd.
Frank's Drug Store - 581 Main St.
Kollman's Pharmacy - 138 North Ave.
Prescription Center - 514 Main St.
Wilson Drugs - 671 North Ave.
Dales Drugs - 207 North Ave.
Beechmont Pharmacy - 768 North Ave.
Croccia's Pharmacy - 320 Webster Ave.
Webster Drugs - 246 North Ave.
Wykagyl Pharmacy - Shopping center

Did I leave any out?
New Rochelle Guy

Bridgewater, NJ

#2277 Jan 1, 2010
Barney wrote:
Does anyone out there remember the Drug Stores we had back before CVS ?
El-Dee - 422 Pelham Rd.
Frank's Drug Store - 581 Main St.
Kollman's Pharmacy - 138 North Ave.
Prescription Center - 514 Main St.
Wilson Drugs - 671 North Ave.
Dales Drugs - 207 North Ave.
Beechmont Pharmacy - 768 North Ave.
Croccia's Pharmacy - 320 Webster Ave.
Webster Drugs - 246 North Ave.
Wykagyl Pharmacy - Shopping center
Did I leave any out?
Jane and Jeanne Shelvy worked at El-Dee on Shore road....lived at 5 Circuit Road.....and also there was Grabels Pharmacy across the street from City Hall.

And on another note....anyone remember a gas station on the Pelham road.....it was a Sinclair Station....guy named Johnny used to run it and give away small plastic dinosaurs to the children....something about Dino or whatnot...dont remember.....next to Eddie Fishers house (The Barge).
Barney

Bellmore, NY

#2278 Jan 1, 2010
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Jane and Jeanne Shelvy worked at El-Dee on Shore road....lived at 5 Circuit Road.....and also there was Grabels Pharmacy across the street from City Hall.
And on another note....anyone remember a gas station on the Pelham road.....it was a Sinclair Station....guy named Johnny used to run it and give away small plastic dinosaurs to the children....something about Dino or whatnot...dont remember.....next to Eddie Fishers house (The Barge).
i remember it well, it was called Johnnies Pelham Road Service Station. The owner was John Moritz, a great guy.
New Rochelle Guy

Bridgewater, NJ

#2279 Jan 1, 2010
Barney wrote:
<quoted text>
i remember it well, it was called Johnnies Pelham Road Service Station. The owner was John Moritz, a great guy.
Going down the Pelham Road toward Issac Young...remember a barber shop with a deli next door to it just past the supermarket...I worked in that deli after school....I cant remember the name.....the owner was a heavy set gent and his dad had glasses...long time ago.
mrssweets

AOL

#2280 Jan 1, 2010
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Going down the Pelham Road toward Issac Young...remember a barber shop with a deli next door to it just past the supermarket...I worked in that deli after school....I cant remember the name.....the owner was a heavy set gent and his dad had glasses...long time ago.
Schwartz. They lived in my building at 210 Pelham and then later moved over across from Davenport Park.
One son was Stewie and I think the other was Steven.I loved their barrel of pickles. The grandmother used to be there also.
mrssweets

AOL

#2281 Jan 1, 2010
Barney wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember it well, it was called Johnnies Pelham Road Service Station. The owner was John Moritz, a great guy.
The twins!!
My Mom was friends with their Mom and when I was young we would meet at Hudson Park.
mrssweets

AOL

#2282 Jan 1, 2010
New Rochelle Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Handleman had the drug store on Pelham Road just before getting to the A&P. He also had a fountain.
Bulldog

Lehigh Acres, FL

#2283 Jan 1, 2010
I also worked at the Deli on Pelham Rd. It was right next door to 300 pelham Rd. which was an apartment bldg., that was called both Rochelle Arms and Pelham Hall. I lived on both the 1st floor and the 3rd floor. Frank Schwartz was the owner of the Deli and his father in-law was Mr. Sobel, a great target for practical jokes. Yes, the pickles in the barrel were great.
New Rochelle Guy

Bridgewater, NJ

#2284 Jan 1, 2010
Bulldog wrote:
I also worked at the Deli on Pelham Rd. It was right next door to 300 pelham Rd. which was an apartment bldg., that was called both Rochelle Arms and Pelham Hall. I lived on both the 1st floor and the 3rd floor. Frank Schwartz was the owner of the Deli and his father in-law was Mr. Sobel, a great target for practical jokes. Yes, the pickles in the barrel were great.
Was the supers name Bettencourt when you lived there Bulldog?.....I discovered at the age of 12 or 13 or whatever that girls were not horrible creatues after all with my first love Anne Kummerer who lived in that building....her father Bill Kummerer worked for Neptune on Weyman for years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Rochelle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Helicopter carrying WWE exec makes emergency oc... 23 hr anonymous 1
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Eastchester (Jan '14) Mon Anonymous 59
8 Beechwood Ave. Fire Feb. 1958 (Oct '10) Jul 17 Gail 4
Can a man love two women at the same time? (Mar '10) Jul 16 Lovely 232
8 Beechwood Ave. Fire Feb. 1958 (Oct '09) Jul 16 Gail 5
Abandoned Warburg Rothschild estates (Oct '16) Jul 13 ecmd 2
News 3 Charged With Raping 13-Year-Old-Girl At School (Mar '07) Jul 8 coco4u 137

New Rochelle Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Rochelle Mortgages