First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sayitaintso

United States

#1 Jan 25, 2013
Why is CFTA in danger of closing it's doors? Does anyone know why they need so much money and it was only recently that the funds needed was announced? Thank you!
Tiffany Phelps CFTA Dir

Baton Rouge, LA

#2 Jan 25, 2013
Thanks for asking...lots of people have questions but so few ever ask. The Centre has been operating for 10 years and the pace has yet to slow down. Fran, the other director, and myself were simply parent volunteers for a dance class (which became the Centre) back in 2003. Since then, we have been running non stop to keep up. The Centre is tired of barely making it until the next fundraiser. We were told our lease was up on the studio in February. Which was fine, because we have more than enough room in the building next door, which we own, but needs lots of renovations. The problem is we could not start a regular semester in January AND make the renovations needed next door AND move to the new building all by the end of February. So, we asked the community to please help us make our bills for January and February (b/c no classes = no income) and to please help us with renovations. We in turn would use this time to get the building ready, finalize our new more efficient budget (no rent, extra utilities...), and then start a shortened semester the first week of March.
The fundraiser actually began and was announced on December 14th, but two days later I went into the hospital for emergency surgery and remained there for a few days. I came home the day before Christmas. Well, when the other two workers (all instructors were off for semester break) are your husband (who kept the studio going and took care of our kids) and your best friend who stayed at the hospital with you, no fundraising letters get mailed out...
So in January, an emergency board meeting was held b/c suddenly we had no spring semester to rely on money coming in and only 25 of the 800 fundraising letters mailed out. At that point, our only option was to say if we can raise the MINIMUM amount of money to make it through Jan and Feb then we will stay open. If we can't then we have to shut the doors.
Again thank you for asking...and please let me know if this answers your question. AND PLEASE ask for clarification if not, because if you have a question so do many others.
Cowgirl

United States

#3 Jan 25, 2013
Why don't y'all do jambalaya dinners, or a car wash to raise the money. Have all the dedicated kids at the center get involved to help earn the money. The community would probably be more willing to give, when the money is being raised that way. It's just a thought. Hope it works out for the best!
Bootylicious

United States

#4 Jan 25, 2013
Good idea, cowgirl!!!
Tiffany phelps cfta dir

Opelousas, LA

#5 Jan 26, 2013
I agree those types of fundraisers are awesome and we do those throughout the year. The letter is our a yearly thing.

Thanks you guys and come by and visit.
Sayitaintso

United States

#6 Jan 26, 2013
Maybe theatre productions? You could charge. Kind of like Baton Rouge little theatre...just a thought. Open mic nights at Tessa's and charge a cover for adults?? I would really enjoy theatre, and include the adults since they have the $$$.:)
Tiffany phelps cfta dir

Opelousas, LA

#7 Jan 26, 2013
Like charge to come see it or to be in it?
Sayitaintso

United States

#8 Jan 27, 2013
Charge to see it. Have the musicians at the centre even do the music. Make it a BIG production. Have auditions for the parts...get volunteers for the production. Is there a stage in New Roads for that type of production? I know all of that cost money to produce, but you could offer discount tickets to CFTA members if you guys could eventually put on two or three musicals a year and maybe a couple of plays. A mass musical could really utilize everyone at the center! Just a thought..,and I would love to see something like this close to home!
onceinalifetime

Zachary, LA

#9 Jan 27, 2013
this is sad.i know some childen who goes there.eveything positive is always coming to an endcome on parisioners lets help out
New Roadian

Baton Rouge, LA

#10 Jan 27, 2013
Would be great if CFTA could use the stage at the Civic Center for free a few nights per year for big productions.
Tiffany phelps cfta dir

Opelousas, LA

#11 Jan 27, 2013
Civic center stage is awesome! Sayitaintso - I think this is a great idea and have jotted down notes since you brought up the idea. Hmmm I think you should contact me about helping work out the details-lol! [email protected] it's so nice to get fresh ideas!
Sayitaintso

United States

#12 Jan 28, 2013
The civic center is perfect! I have a lot of ideas running in my head. Do you have anyone that does theatre at CFTA?(Teaches a class or something??). I will send you an email.
Sayitaintso

United States

#13 Jan 28, 2013
Seussical for kids would be good...Jesus Christ Superstar, Little Shop of Horrors...maybe Fame for the teens???
Biggest fan

United States

#14 Jan 29, 2013
Does anyone know if centre for the arts raised enough money?
Student

United States

#15 Jan 29, 2013
Biggest fan wrote:
Does anyone know if centre for the arts raised enough money?
No, they did not. They were a little over 5K short.:(
any news ?

United States

#16 Jan 30, 2013
What's the latest on this?
I wonder

Ventress, LA

#17 Feb 4, 2013
so if not enough raised what happens... maybe if the directors would volunteer that would help with t5he money issue..or is that their job? do they work anywhere else
June

Jarreau, LA

#18 Feb 4, 2013
No, this is their only job. And they don't make big salaries, just enough to live on.
Sayitaintsi

United States

#19 Feb 4, 2013
The money was raised.
Tiffany Phelps CFTA Dir

Baton Rouge, LA

#20 Feb 5, 2013
Fran - 30-40 hours a week (slacking off this semester some b/c daughter is graduating and to spend time with her dad)- salary = Zero

Mike - 40 plus hours a week - salary = Zero

Tiffany - 50 plus hours a week - salary =$3433.00/month - only on the months where all bills can be paid and "a voted on cushion" remains in the checking account for small emergencies, is Tiffany paid...

other monthly bills
rent to parolli - 1250
utilities for both buildings - around 300
directors and officers insurance - 110
xerox - 113 plus around 200 usage fee every three months
insurance - 363
taxes - around 900
at&t for phone line and internet - 124
office manager (does not have since Marco went to grad school) 1200-1500

please let me know if you think we can save somewhere! it would be a huge blessing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Roads Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Broadband, and why West Feliciana needs it (Sep '10) 3 hr Mel 115
New Roads Snapchats... Let's swap and snap 5 hr Louisiana69 1
Who will be the next mayor of new roads 22 hr Big Dog 16
Rod Dreher is on the cover of the latest Greate... (Apr '13) Mon Our Hero 606
False River 22 Ft. at Light House Canal Sun just me 6
The Beast of the Field (Jan '09) Aug 19 Antman300 171
add a word, drop a word (Nov '11) Aug 18 Honest Babe 4,241

New Roads Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance