Forgotten bike trail getting new life

Forgotten bike trail getting new life

There are 6 comments on the The Advocate story from Jul 18, 2012, titled Forgotten bike trail getting new life. In it, The Advocate reports that:

Government leaders and tourism officials in Pointe Coupee Parish are moving forward with plans to re-establish an abandoned, 10-mile bike trail along False River between the Oscar community and the city of New Roads.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Advocate.

HChampagne

Opelousas, LA

#1 Jul 18, 2012
Is it on the highway itself?(LA 1)

Since: Jul 10

Ventress

#2 Jul 19, 2012
Tommy Rucker is correct in his opinion statement. The trail should be established completely around false river. With the advent of new pavement on the island it will be an excellent trail of about 28 miles. It should be properly marked and posted. I ride it often. It's a beautiful ride with great economic potential.
The bridge has brought a multitude of cyclist from across the Mississippi river. Many travel from Zachary to morganza every Saturday and Sunday morning even in this heat and humidity.
The problems lay in proper identification and markings of the trail. There are no real bike "trails" here. What we're talking about is " bike lanes" on major highways. People here are not familiar with who has the legal right of way whether it be in a lane or on the highway itself. It's not common knowledge that you must give a cyclist at least three feet clearance in louisiana to the left of his path. People pass dangerously close , even in the new roads city limits where it's agaisnt the law to ride on the sidewalks.
New roads to Oscar is not long enough to attract any serious riders in that direction.
A well marked trail will raise awareness of motorists and provide a safer environment for a potential bonanza pointe coupee is just starting to experience.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Karma is my friend”

Since: Feb 11

Look over your shoulder

#3 Jul 19, 2012
Woodsman_1 wrote:
Tommy Rucker is correct in his opinion statement. The trail should be established completely around false river. With the advent of new pavement on the island it will be an excellent trail of about 28 miles. It should be properly marked and posted. I ride it often. It's a beautiful ride with great economic potential.
The bridge has brought a multitude of cyclist from across the Mississippi river. Many travel from Zachary to morganza every Saturday and Sunday morning even in this heat and humidity.
The problems lay in proper identification and markings of the trail. There are no real bike "trails" here. What we're talking about is " bike lanes" on major highways. People here are not familiar with who has the legal right of way whether it be in a lane or on the highway itself. It's not common knowledge that you must give a cyclist at least three feet clearance in louisiana to the left of his path. People pass dangerously close , even in the new roads city limits where it's agaisnt the law to ride on the sidewalks.
New roads to Oscar is not long enough to attract any serious riders in that direction.
A well marked trail will raise awareness of motorists and provide a safer environment for a potential bonanza pointe coupee is just starting to experience.
Look at you,
I introduced you to spinning only six months ago, and now you sound like a fannatic!

This does sound like a good deal. Think about a route designed for commuters like our Burke up here. Or how no new road improvments can happen without providing a bike lane. My only problem is that a bike path has a speed limit of only 20 mph and, yeah, they run radar. I have two speeding tickets on my bike.
new roads keep your hoes

Abbeville, LA

#4 Jul 20, 2012
cyber online hoes typing about bike azz you both are mental look at mitch major and his cyber hoes ops

sponged off of hoe whos buying the beer another admitting of you being a lawbreaker hoe

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Karma is my friend”

Since: Feb 11

Look over your shoulder

#5 Jul 20, 2012
new roads keep your hoes wrote:
cyber online hoes typing about bike azz you both are mental look at mitch major and his cyber hoes ops
sponged off of hoe whos buying the beer another admitting of you being a lawbreaker hoe
You're just pissed off because Santa never brought you a bike for Christmas and me and Woody came down there and busted your Sheriff and your favorite detective. Or at least, I never changed my story and tried to suck up to Couvillon. With the trouble ya all have with corrupt Sheriff's down there how can anyone take you seriously while you defend them?

I think it'd be great if this bike trail could circle the whole lake. Too bad they redid so much of the road on the Ventress side without putting in a bike lane.
piss on u

Abbeville, LA

#6 Jul 20, 2012
you trash wheres your grand kid really supervised visitation for a grand mother you must be one sick trash hoe you and mitch major came down where barffing on each other or was it you barffing on him in middle of night hmmm you barffing brushing your teeth with an hairbrush yes we read what a winner you are bike azz

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Roads Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old Police Jury System 4 hr Stark Reality 92
Couhig Assault on J Hazy 6 hr Choices 11
are farmers spraying and burning fields in livonia 16 hr Wondering 1
Candidates 16 hr Bubba 2
Wanna try this just for fun!! (Mar '13) Sun _Zoey_ 1,717
add a word, drop a word (Nov '11) Sun _Zoey_ 4,120
Old Home Rule Chartet Sun Get Real 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Roads Mortgages