WTH is going on @ FRA?

Posted in the New Roads Forum

Comments (Page 9)

Showing posts 161 - 180 of238
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Mark

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#179
Sep 27, 2012
 
First of all, the sleeping in class is a total absurdity, get a life; no town is that small. They were wrong in their treatment of the old coach, but two wrongs don't make a right. In fact, coach Hannie was quite fond of the old coach and the influence he had on the kids. The "replacement" coach has coached in three 5A programs, is certified in English, History and P.E., has a masters of Science in secondary education. Furthermore, he has 16 years experience. I know for a fact that he could have even taught your dumb arse how to write and essay and that "gossip" is wrong. Metaphorically, you are a gossip troll, who feeds on the misfortune of others. Nevertheless, bless you! Live a good life and let me know if you need anymore information. Peace!
REALLY

Baton Rouge, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#180
Oct 2, 2012
 
Mark wrote:
First of all, the sleeping in class is a total absurdity, get a life; no town is that small. They were wrong in their treatment of the old coach, but two wrongs don't make a right. In fact, coach Hannie was quite fond of the old coach and the influence he had on the kids. The "replacement" coach has coached in three 5A programs, is certified in English, History and P.E., has a masters of Science in secondary education. Furthermore, he has 16 years experience. I know for a fact that he could have even taught your dumb arse how to write and essay and that "gossip" is wrong. Metaphorically, you are a gossip troll, who feeds on the misfortune of others. Nevertheless, bless you! Live a good life and let me know if you need anymore information. Peace!
And he has chosen to teach at FRA? You may need to do more of a background check.
xtpcp

Livonia, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#181
Oct 3, 2012
 
FRA has lost another teacher. This time it is a 5th and 6th grade teacher. Who next?
Grandmother knows best

Ventress, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#182
Oct 4, 2012
 
REALLY wrote:
<quoted text>
And he has chosen to teach at FRA? You may need to do more of a background check.
How dare you insult the school and this community like that. Why wouldn't he choose FRA. If it is pay you refer to; perhaps, you should work where he stepped in last year, East Iberville. Ierville has the 2nd highest pay scale in our state; nevertheless, East Iberville is comepletely composed students who did NOT score basic on proficiency tests while the ones who scored higher moved a mile down to the "Math Science and Art Institute" ((WHICH IS AN EDU CATCH-PHRASE AND MOVEMENT TO ATTRACT WHITE STUDENTS BACK INTO THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM))
He had 6 preps there! YES 6 different classes to prepare for American history, louisiana history, World History, 11th grade American Literature, 6th grade ELA and 7th grade ELA. Why take the job? His reply, "for lawyer fees to get my daughter and look after her".

Before that he was working with juvenile felons at a non-profit.... teaching and coaching.... Why?

Perhaps it's not all about money?

If it was, why go to school in education anyway??

Heck, I know of three Hannie's from B.R. and all three are doctors. Perhaps he wasn't worried about it, I really dunno.

But I do know that he had ACL ssurgery this summer and didn't job-hunt at all after his first visit to our community.
After meeting the people of the community, students, staff at False River he told my friend that he couldn't imagine a better community to raise his daughter in than ours. I also learned that besides rehabbing his knee he did nothing but focus on a custody hearing that he had the day before school started. One in which he brought the mother to court and actually won.

ya know, I respect not wanting to teach 'at risk' kids forever after having put in a lot of time doing so AND not minding taking a pay-cut to delve into the classics of literature with very bright and respectful students. Given the second part is speculation (I assumed he must have read at least one book while teaching Gifted at Mandeville).

He is quoted as saying he would "work for free" to coach basketball again after having given it up to earn more money.

Yes, I had to do my research for this one. I hope he doesn't mind, but I'm curious......was i supposed to find something else in his 'background'??

If so, i don't care. If he robbed a bank previously, I wish more qualified,talented and motivated teachers would rob banks so they would actually move here to our wonderful community and stay, as he swore.

We have like 24 football coaches in almost as many years, and out teacher and coach turn-over is disheartening.

I hope more people will see the things our community and schools do have to offer than you do sir.

If so, do tell
Grandmother knows best

Ventress, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#183
Oct 4, 2012
 
Oh, despite sharing what I have learned of this, I must admit we never inquired about any drug-tests nor did he mention anything. I, for one, don't believe it, nor would I beleve that is what happened here. For testing one and sharing the results would destroy someone's career, and I do not believe the school woud do that. I applaud FRA for their testing and am quite positive that if someone failed a test that they would be granted a second one on a prohbationary status(perhaps w/counseling) after having invsted in our community. Ecspecilly, if the rumors about others failing three were true! That would be most unjust and would have t see evidece to believe.
kltg

Denham Springs, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#184
Oct 4, 2012
 
Poor guy ...he doesn't have a clue but boy oh boy will he find out just like the rest of the ones that left!
Suggestion

Ventress, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#185
Oct 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Pointe Coupee Islander wrote:
Suggestion, what you are saying is great in an ideal world. The problem is that the current board refuses to listen (or act) to concerns of parents/stockholders.
As far as volunteers working on projects at the school, there are legions of parents that would come and work on projects. The problem there is that no one is allowed to touch any of these projects without first getting permission from the board, and they may not give it if the headmaster and/or AD don't want it to happen.
The intelligent spokesperson thing has been tried already. It didn't work. Parents/stockholders are now being banned from "public" board meetings just like someone else above said. This is being enforced by having police officers there to keep people out. Everything the board does is now being done in secret meetings.
The only way to fix things is to replace nearly all of the current board members with folks who are committed to openness in proceedings and to fixing the school's problems.
Please bear with me....this may take several posts..

Pointe Coupee Islander,

I'm sorry I'm late in responding to your reply to my original post. I by no means want to criticize your way of thinking, just point out a couple of things that I have learned through the years in dealing with School Boards as well as other type boards.

When you stated what I was saying "is great in an ideal world" is in reality how one should deal with situations you brought up "in the real world". There is no other way than to do it than through the proper procedure that I tried to outline for you and others.

When you said that there are legions of parents that would come out and work on projects, however the problem is that no one would be allowed to touch any of these projects without first getting permission from the board, and they may not give it if the......
You are exactly correct in your statement, however, this is the proper procedure for ANY school I would imagine. Years ago, when a parent had a brainstorm to construct a football field with volunteer parents at FRA, he happened to be a Board Member at the time. Even he knew (as he had prior experience with different organizations and boards) his first hurdle would be to obtain FRA's Board approval and certainly the fact that the principals and Athletic Director (even coaches) would be consulted with prior to the Board's giving him the green light for a group of volunteer parents to begin construction on the field. It was a huge undertaking and the Board had the fiduciary responsibility to make sure the field was needed, wanted and also would be properly constructed.

If memory serves me right, I think you brought up the fact that the bleachers are in dire need of work. If this is the case and you and other parents see a safety issue involved, please don't let the proper procedure to address those issues stand in your way. I'm sure the Board and whoever else would be consulted would be more than happy to welcome any help they can receive from volunteer parents. Again, FRA was originally able to be a reality due to a generous donation from a local individual. FRA will need the continued support and volunteer parental help in the years to come to maintain a quality school and facility that our children, grandchildren, great-granchildren (I'm sure you get the picture) will attend for many years to come.
Suggestion

Ventress, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#186
Oct 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

(Continued)

I swell with pride when I see improvements performed at FRA by volunteers as you don't see the same happening much at other schools. Again, I'm sure the Board and whoever else they feel they need to consult with for approval will be more than greatful for any improvements to the facility that volunteers can offer. We have many in our community of parents with many different craft specialties to offer our school, and they will find that the self-gratification of bettering the facility their children and grand-children attend will be worth more than any payment they could receive. Any such type improvements made by the volunteers will make a lasting impression on their children and pave the way for their kids to also do the same in years to come.

Although I don't have knowledge of what happened between the group of parents and the Board other than the fact that you stated the Board is or was banning parents/stockholders from attending and having "police officers there to keep people out", I respectfully offer the following. I know when I was a young parent, I had a tendency to become very emotional about what I conceived as injustices at schools my children attended. I'm not saying this is what happened in y'alls case, however, I really feel that probably some of the parents let their emotions interfer with the proper procedure that issues should be addressed to the extent that the Board members possibly felt personally threatened. If that was the case, one can't really blame them as they are strictly volunteers themselves.

Also, to try to end a misconception, children of Board members are often pressured from their parents and teachers alike to be the perfect student. I have personal knowledge that this is (or was) the case at FRA. It is common for others to think the opposite without having walked in the shoes of those students.

Again, I'm not criticizing your feelings by any means....just trying to give some insight into how to get problems solved and things done as I've seen the other side of how Boards are run...especially school boards.
Suggestion

Ventress, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#187
Oct 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

(Continued....last post :)

My children once attended CHSPC before being transferred to FRA. One of the principals had attended the P.C. Parish School Board meetings and had "knocked heads" at every meeting with them when trying to acquire more buses for CHSPC as the buses were very overcrowded. She requested me to take her place for one of the meetings as she had another meeting she had to attend. She gave me some reports that had been turned in to the La. Dept. of Education detailing how many students were assigned to each bus at CHSPC. I took them, saw where PC had reported the overcrowding in the reports and I presented the figures at the public meeting. I did it without the usual frustration and fussing that they were accustomed to by the Principal who was at her wits end. When asked "Who signed these reports?", I responded, you did, Dr. Kennison (the Superintendent at the time). I did it with a "hate to tell you this" look on my face. After the meeting, several members approached me and thanked me for the manner in which I had presented the information and they wanted to work with me. Before the week was over, CHSPC had 3 more buses. The moral to this story also, it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Good luck and I have every confidence you and your group can establish a good working relationship with not only the Board, but with the Principals, etc. at FRA.
brillant LHS student

Maringouin, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#188
Oct 6, 2012
 
FRA is garbage. They needa get a life and real CERTIFIED teachers!!!
wondering

New Roads, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#190
Oct 9, 2012
 
xtpcp wrote:
FRA has lost another teacher. This time it is a 5th and 6th grade teacher. Who next?
The teacher who left did so because of better benefits... and you can't blame her for that... these days times are hard and you need to go where the money is.. FRA and CHPC can't pay or come close to public school salaries...
Bro Man

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#191
Oct 27, 2012
 
AND IT HAPPENS AGAIN..........
FRA just had to fire the Girl's Basketball coach for undisclosed reasons! They are on a role!!!! Maybe one day they will fire the real problem
Citizen

Plano, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#192
Oct 27, 2012
 
Bro Man wrote:
AND IT HAPPENS AGAIN..........
FRA just had to fire the Girl's Basketball coach for undisclosed reasons! They are on a role!!!! Maybe one day they will fire the real problem
I won't disagree that the "real problem" has not been fired. However, if you've ever seen the girl's basketball coach in action, you would understand how hateful she was to the children. So many girls refused to play because she was absolutely hateful.
Bro Man

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#193
Oct 27, 2012
 
Yea that is exactly what I hear! It's probably for the best that coach was let go! However, I think it is karma for the person in charge! Apparently she made the lives of the old coaches miserable so they left and now the person in charge can't find quality replacements! What goes around comes around!
Bro Man

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#194
Oct 27, 2012
 
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't disagree that the "real problem" has not been fired. However, if you've ever seen the girl's basketball coach in action, you would understand how hateful she was to the children. So many girls refused to play because she was absolutely hateful.
Yea that is exactly what I hear! It's probably for the best that coach was let go! However, I think it is karma for the person in charge! Apparently she made the lives of the old coaches miserable so they left and now the person in charge can't find quality replacements! What goes around comes around!
Mike Bonnet

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#195
Oct 30, 2012
 
If that's the teacher that thought speaking down to parents as though they were first graders, then I say good riddance. That alone should have been grounds to put her to the curb, and maybe it was. Now we only need to get rid of two more folks so that we can start trying to rebuild from all of the destruction that has been brought down on this school by these folks.
Ryan

Baton Rouge, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#196
Oct 30, 2012
 
That school most definitely needs se rebuilding and aren't involvement, in has gone downhill and still going, as a graduate from there I can see how a lot of people now are pulling there kids out or deciding to send them else where from the get go. It's sad to see the school I once loved to be where it is now!!
Ryan

Baton Rouge, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#197
Oct 30, 2012
 
Ryan wrote:
That school most definitely needs se rebuilding and aren't involvement, in has gone downhill and still going, as a graduate from there I can see how a lot of people now are pulling there kids out or deciding to send them else where from the get go. It's sad to see the school I once loved to be where it is now!!
Sorry for my typos, meant to say "needs rebuilding and parent involvement".

As for rebuilding, that's for the educational aspect and staff, teachers, coaches, etc....
Citizen

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#198
Oct 31, 2012
 
Mike Bonnet wrote:
If that's the teacher that thought speaking down to parents as though they were first graders, then I say good riddance. That alone should have been grounds to put her to the curb, and maybe it was. Now we only need to get rid of two more folks so that we can start trying to rebuild from all of the destruction that has been brought down on this school by these folks.
Amen to that!
Citizen

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#199
Oct 31, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Mike Bonnet wrote:
If that's the teacher that thought speaking down to parents as though they were first graders, then I say good riddance. That alone should have been grounds to put her to the curb, and maybe it was. Now we only need to get rid of two more folks so that we can start trying to rebuild from all of the destruction that has been brought down on this school by these folks.
And yes...that is the teacher. Wow! She was pretty ballsy. She pissed off the wrong folks apparently. I'm not sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 161 - 180 of238
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the New Roads Forum right now

Search the New Roads Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Wanna try this just for fun!! (Mar '13) 1 hr Betty 1,287
add a word, drop a word (Nov '11) 1 hr Betty 3,654
Hot Tails chef Cody Carroll picks New Orleans o... 4 hr NOTFADEAWAY 7
Corrupted Mayors 4 hr NOTFADEAWAY 2
LA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Louisiana... (Oct '10) 13 hr The Real Not Landrieu 2,510
False River boat parade back on for July 4 weekend Tue Betty Fountain 10
Brandi Kilpatrick? (Mar '11) Tue jaserskn 27
•••
•••
•••
•••

New Roads Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

New Roads People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

New Roads News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in New Roads
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••