Don't go back to towing vehicles of L...

Don't go back to towing vehicles of Louisiana drivers without proof of insurance: An editorial

There are 19 comments on the NOLA.com story from May 25, 2011, titled Don't go back to towing vehicles of Louisiana drivers without proof of insurance: An editorial. In it, NOLA.com reports that:

Lawmakers made the right decision last year in approving a bill by Sen. Joe McPherson that bans the towing of a car simply because the driver lacks proof of insurance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NOLA.com.

“La Grimasse!!”

Since: Mar 07

Ventress

#1 May 25, 2011
No insurance?

Leave it on the side of the road!

Put a boot on it and open it only when you can prove you bought insurance

Since: Feb 11

Ventress, LA

#2 May 25, 2011
Islandude wrote:
No insurance?
Leave it on the side of the road!
Put a boot on it and open it only when you can prove you bought insurance
The side of the road is not the safest place to leave a car. I'm all for tougher penalties for just about everything.

Woodsman_1

Since: Jul 10

Ventress

#3 May 25, 2011
Islandude wrote:
No insurance?
Leave it on the side of the road!
Put a boot on it and open it only when you can prove you bought insurance
Im with PT on this one. Get em off the side of the road.
Jay Leno

Baton Rouge, LA

#4 May 25, 2011
Ditto!!
Tow it

“Resurected”

Since: Feb 10

Destin, Fl

#5 May 25, 2011
LSP has some way of checking if there is valid insurance on the vehicle. I've been pulled over without a card and he was able to verify that I was legal. I'm happy about that.

However, I think that people that drive without valid insurance should be put in jail. If they are arrested, the car should be impounded to recover costs of dealing with their irresponsible bullsh!t.

Since: Mar 10

New Roads

#6 May 25, 2011
Tow em'! I was hit by someone with no insurance once and the tag on the car didn't match the car and there was another tag in the back seat. Cop did nothing. Needless to say I couldn't get my car fixed because I couldn't locate the loser.
Just Watching

Denham Springs, LA

#7 May 25, 2011
If you are driving with out insurance your vehicle needs to be towed.It like driving with an ID,like so many in New Roads do if they would tow the vehicle it would stop alot of that.The problem is we have on enforcement in the city are the parish.
It's time for a change to take place in this Parish.
facts

Livonia, LA

#8 May 25, 2011
I pay insurance every mouth on my vehicle and to know people ride with no insurance pisses me off. So if you get caught with no insuranc tow it.
facts

Livonia, LA

#9 May 25, 2011
I meant to say I pay insurance every month on my car
real mom

Livonia, LA

#10 May 25, 2011
I think there should be stops everywhere to check for insurance. Once they have to pay to have the car towed, fines and fees maybe, just maybe, they will realize it is cheaper to get insurance. Make them pay!!!! I sure do.
Chad

Toledo, OH

#11 May 25, 2011
As much money as I've paid for insurance and never have a claim, they better start towing these dumbasses with no INS! And I don't want to hear the whining about forgetting to put your card in your vehicle. It's called responsibility. 1 tow and you won't forget again. Cops shouldn't have to waste their time calling your INS company. That's what's wrong with people. They are not held accountable for irresponsibility. I could go on and on about this subject.

“La Grimasse!!”

Since: Mar 07

Ventress

#12 May 25, 2011
I was just tryin to make it easier for tha thuggage to grab-ass some 24s easy like

I really don't care what they do with the car...tow 'em, boot 'em, crush 'em....just get them offa the road
representin

Baton Rouge, LA

#14 May 26, 2011
There is no place to park them on Island Road and if they did park them there you would never hit one of them. You would have to plow through too many trash cans that are on the side of and in the road. Never make it to hit the car. Whats up with the cans on island road. If the people ain't leaving them on the white line the trash truck leaves them in the road. It sucks.

“La Grimasse!!”

Since: Mar 07

Ventress

#15 May 26, 2011
representin wrote:
There is no place to park them on Island Road and if they did park them there you would never hit one of them. You would have to plow through too many trash cans that are on the side of and in the road. Never make it to hit the car. Whats up with the cans on island road. If the people ain't leaving them on the white line the trash truck leaves them in the road. It sucks.
Agreed
police

United States

#16 Jun 1, 2011
i would like to add to this , i am a sheriff's deputy and i can say we always tow people who have switched plates. when the law was" no proof tow " ! we did all the time, we can chck your insurance status from our units and if you really had insurance but only forgot to put it in your vehcle , you would roll off with a warning, but now police hate this new law, if you rgisteration search doesnt show a " prior notice of violation" you will roll away with no insurance and we can not do anything about it. yeah we can pull your plate and put a bright green sticker on your back glass ,"but you stll roll off with no insurance ! police HATE this law, hope it's changed back to the old way.
April

Ville Platte, LA

#17 Jun 4, 2011
I think the new law is BS!! Granted I have been stopped before and forgot to switch my old cards out with the new ones and I was lucky enough to be stopped by an officer who spoke with my insurance agent to confirm I indeed had insurance. If a person is stopped and can not provide any information proving they have insurance then tow the car. I worked for a personal injury law firm and it is all too common for someone without insurance to sue when they have been involved in a accident. If I have to pay and my rates increase from people not having insurance and suing then they should have to pay for the tow, wrecker yard and provide insurance to get their car back!! Oh I will add my insurance card had only been expired by a few days and my new card was sitting on my table, my mistake for not putting it in my car asap.
my 2 cents

Sunset, LA

#18 Jun 5, 2011
Insurance premiums would be cheaper for all \of Louisiana drivers if everyone had insurance.....

If you can't prove that you are insured, then
you should have your car towed.......

If you cant afford insurance, you probably cant
afford to fix my car.
no name

Denham Springs, LA

#19 Jun 5, 2011
police wrote:
i would like to add to this , i am a sheriff's deputy and i can say we always tow people who have switched plates. when the law was" no proof tow " ! we did all the time, we can chck your insurance status from our units and if you really had insurance but only forgot to put it in your vehcle , you would roll off with a warning, but now police hate this new law, if you rgisteration search doesnt show a " prior notice of violation" you will roll away with no insurance and we can not do anything about it. yeah we can pull your plate and put a bright green sticker on your back glass ,"but you stll roll off with no insurance ! police HATE this law, hope it's changed back to the old way.
unless yall know the family then they still roll off with a smile there are some cops here in new roads that shouldn't be cops TRUST ME !!!!!!_
police

United States

#20 Jun 24, 2011
no name wrote:
<quoted text> unless yall know the family then they still roll off with a smile there are some cops here in new roads that shouldn't be cops TRUST ME !!!!!!_
and i am with you 100 % on your comment. but anyones family has nothing to do with it. speaking for myself that is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

New Roads Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Presidential debate 5 hr WAFB 9
Storm damage Sep 25 Odetta 10
4 mill tax Sep 23 more education 45
Bayou Sara Creek Road Sep 19 Mike 2
Home Rule Charter is not for West Feliciana Sep 19 Cee Cee 47
Hospital Sep 19 Paul 2 9
Wake up America Sep 13 WAFB 5

New Roads Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

New Roads Mortgages